PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Observations on our NFLE players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Box_O_Rocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I'm re-watching some of these games so there probably will be updates.

WR Zuriel Smith: Made some nice tough short yardage catches. He is a little slow creating seperation, but he does get open for an accurate QB. His punt returns haven't been anything flashy yet, but he makes good decisions. He had one really nice block on a reverse, but I was disappointed with him being slow off the line on a running play where he would have been blocking upfield if the RB had made it through the line.

LG Nick Steitz: This kid looked promising in the first half of his game. He is very mobile and his head is on a swivel to identify new threats. He has done a decent job on the LBs when he goes to the next level, and the DT was starting to stunt away from him, we'll see what the second half shows. The only real complaint is on his nastiness quotient, perhaps Dante' can feed him some raw meat.

CB Antwain Spann: Second string on the depth chart at RCB. He was in on special teams, but didn't stand out.

WR Rich Musinski: Picked apart the cover two zone with two nice crossing patterns, made a couple tough short yardage catches. Promising.

LT Jeff Roehl: Looked very good in pass protection, demonstrated some excellent mobility. I need to watch more with some slow-mo to finish this assessment.

SS Ray Ventrone: Looked like Stone on his open field tackling, trying too hard for the big hit and making more whiffs then I like. Made some really sweet hits, and made one serious mental error with a blow to the helmet giving the opposition a 15 yard freebie on their final drive to try and win the game. If he can play more under control to ensure he doesn't miss tackles, I'd be much happier.

RB Earl Charles: On IR.

Box_O_Rocks said:

Thanks for the info. Roehl started RT for the Giants as a rookie, so there has to be some talent there. It amazes me that after that he couldn't find an NFL job.

Thank you Box, espcially from us that don't get to see NFLE. Keep us up to speed buddy.

You're too damn good Box. :D

Thank you Box. Just remember Rohan Davey lit up NFLE.

Thanks Box! How did Charles end up on IR?

Just turned the Bronco tape back on, much to the dismay of my heart.

Of course, the first play I watch is Colvin shedding TE Stephen Alexander's block, and then Alexander turning around and executing an illegal chop block to the side of the Colvin's left leg. Luckily, Colvin was able to slide his leg away just in time.

And on the play right before, Vrabel goes berzerk and has to be restrained by Geno after Bruschi blitzed but the RG Carlisle had his right sleeve and shoulder pad in a tug-hold.

Last edited:
Ray Ventrone is a loose cannon type player. He is a spark plug and an half and never stops. He hits with the best but is still in a development phase of his career. His workhorse attitude is what keeps him on the radar for the pats and other teams looking for this kid in the future

NFLEL players never make the final roster

Don't know why but it happens each year. Kory Chapman came close, Rod Trafford came close, but no real roster contributions come out of the NFLEL for the Pats.

p8ryts said:
Don't know why but it happens each year. Kory Chapman came close, Rod Trafford came close, but no real roster contributions come out of the NFLEL for the Pats.

What about that Vinatieri guy?? :D

Sounds like we might have some depth in our NFLE OL players - I like the fact that we have guys who have some experience - even NFLE experience - at LT.

I think an LT can always contribute on the opposite side of the line - but going from the right to the left is more difficult.

There's so much about that position that is "learned" in terms of blocking skills, that I put more stock in getting production out of those players than I do WRs, RBs, and CBs all of whom are playing against sub-par competition.

Willie55 said:
Thank you Box. Just remember Rohan Davey lit up NFLE.
I'll bet he was exciting to watch too, but what alternative do I have? These kids are Patriots, I'm going to root for them to surprise us, sure beats watching Cricket - not that you can see much through the bars of those little cages. I wonder what crime the poor things commited to be locked up like that?

p8ryts said:
WRONG...Adam Vinatieri...Joe Andruzzi.....both played in the NFLE....

PatsChick87 said:
Thanks Box! How did Charles end up on IR?
Dunno, I found him listed that way on the roster and was bummed out he wouldn't be running over people.

Got NFL network recently and flipped through a couple games this weekend and found it really hard to find the team logo to see who the Pat players were. There is the logo on the chest and think one on the back edge of helmet but man they are tricky to spot. Would like to see one on the back, maybe below the number, especially since that is the angle you see most of the time. How am I supposed to report to BB on these guys?

Box_O_Rocks said:

WR Zuriel Smith: Made some nice tough short yardage catches. He is a little slow creating seperation, but he does get open for an accurate QB. His punt returns haven't been anything flashy yet, but he makes good decisions. He had one really nice block on a reverse, but I was disappointed with him being slow off the line on a running play where he would have been blocking upfield if the RB had made it through the line.

LG Nick Steitz: This kid looked promising in the first half of his game. He is very mobile and his head is on a swivel to identify new threats. He has done a decent job on the LBs when he goes to the next level, and the DT was starting to stunt away from him, we'll see what the second half shows. The only real complaint is on his nastiness quotient, perhaps Dante' can feed him some raw meat.

CB Antwain Spann: Second string on the depth chart at RCB. He was in on special teams, but didn't stand out.

WR Rich Musinski: Picked apart the cover two zone with two nice crossing patterns, made a couple tough short yardage catches. Promising.

LT Jeff Roehl: Looked very good in pass protection, demonstrated some excellent mobility. I need to watch more with some slow-mo to finish this assessment.

SS Ray Ventrone: Looked like Stone on his open field tackling, trying too hard for the big hit and making more whiffs then I like. Made some really sweet hits, and made one serious mental error with a blow to the helmet giving the opposition a 15 yard freebie on their final drive to try and win the game. If he can play more under control to ensure he doesn't miss tackles, I'd be much happier.

RB Earl Charles: On IR.
Great breakdown..I had a more than busy weekend...on the downside..but saw little of the games...GREAT breakdown...
You missed QB Todd Mortenson..(Hamburg) did not play.
I wonder what injury Charles has??? Very odd, but NFLE rules..I believe allow a player to come back in a few weeks...more liek baseball rules.
Musinski had good stats..did he look good in his play??? Is he one who may make a step up this year???
Ventrone is my fave..and I really hope he excels not only there...but here. The one thing is, errors like that can be changed with coaching..it IS his first game...so?? I think he will learn..if anything he is a hard hitter and wishes to show that. IN time, he'll get it!!!

Pats726 said:
Great breakdown..I had a more than busy weekend...on the downside..but saw little of the games...GREAT breakdown...
You missed QB Todd Mortenson..(Hamburg) did not play.
I wonder what injury Charles has??? Very odd, but NFLE rules..I believe allow a player to come back in a few weeks...more liek baseball rules.
Musinski had good stats..did he look good in his play??? Is he one who may make a step up this year???
Ventrone is my fave..and I really hope he excels not only there...but here. The one thing is, errors like that can be changed with coaching..it IS his first game...so?? I think he will learn..if anything he is a hard hitter and wishes to show that. IN time, he'll get it!!!
Yep, I forgot Todd because he wasn't on IR and didn't play.

Musinski cut the cover-two zone to pieces with two different QBs throwing the rock, whomever the color man was, he reported the LBs were to shallow so all I know is Musinski had no one within 10 yards of him twice. He also made a couple short catches with people all around him, he was working in traffic and got open.

Ventrone started the game by whiffing on Special Teams. He then ran off three good plays culminated by blasting a receiver and jarring the ball loose for an incomplete. I need to re-watch that game, but I remember another couple whiffs on open field tackles. He closed out the game with a 15 yard penalty for a blow to the head. I think he misjudged going high thinking he was going to arrive with the ball, but he did it from behind so it wasn't the most intelligent play he could have made. Still, he may just start getting guys hearing footsteps, which may be the madness to the method.

pats1 said:
Just turned the Bronco tape back on, much to the dismay of my heart.

Of course, the first play I watch is Colvin shedding TE Stephen Alexander's block, and then Alexander turning around and executing an illegal chop block to the side of the Colvin's left leg. Luckily, Colvin was able to slide his leg away just in time.

Dunno how that fits the thread ... but you bring back an ugly memory.
Preseason ... the year both Alexander and Greg Spires were rookies,
trying to make their rosters (Redskins and Pats, respectively).

Alexander targeting Spires on a kickoff. Instead of blocking, he delivers
a nice tight uppercut between Greg's legs. Knocks him out of the game.
Earns points for nastiness, i s'pose.

Worst bad sportsmanship i ever saw ... until UVA's Brad Butler tried to cripple
Kiwanuka this past autumn. Butler set the bar higher.

Anyway ... now it is clear why Alexander fits the Broncos' system so well.

If we have to rely on NFLE players to fill out our 53 man roster, the

Pats are in worse shape than I imagined.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back