Welcome to PatsFans.com

Observations From Iraq

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by bmf31c, May 17, 2006.

1. bmf31c

bmf31c Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Military.com | Barry R. McCaffrey | May 15, 2006

The following is a report on the situation in Iraq prepared by retired General Barry R. McCaffrey. It is based on his observations during an April 2006 visit to the region. General McCaffrey currently holds the postion of Adjunct Professor of International Affairs at the United States Military Academy.

1st -- The morale, fighting effectiveness, and confidence of U.S. combat forces continue to be simply awe-inspiring. In every sensing session and interaction -- I probed for weakness and found courage, belief in the mission, enormous confidence in their sergeants and company grade officers, an understanding of the larger mission, a commitment to creating an effective Iraqi Army and Police, unabashed patriotism, and a sense of humor. All of these soldiers, NCOs and young officers were volunteers for combat. Many were on their second combat tour -- several were on the third or fourth combat tour. Many had re-enlisted to stay with their unit on its return to a second Iraq deployment. Many planned to re-enlist regardless of how long the war went on.

http://www.military.com/forums/0,15240,97260,00.html

Pretty interesting read.

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +520 / 14 / -28

Isn't Barry McCaffrey the former Drug Czar?? I remember him as being somewhat of a law and order guy, who is a darling of the neo con's. Not to take anything away from what he says, just need to put it into perspective.

3. mgcolby

mgcolby Woohoo, I'm a VIP!!! PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

He was also one of Rumsfeld's biggest critics early on and appointed Drug Czar by Clinton, no?

4. bmf31c

bmf31c Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I honestly have/had no idea about his background. I saw the post on Military.com and posted it over here.

5. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

It is an interesting read. It's important that he acknowledges how good the troops are and how much the Iraqis have improved. I expected quite a biased report and it may well be in some respects. What interested me, though, is that he noted that Iraq could well split into three and that there is real danger in trying to start a conflict in Iran. He makes lots of valid points.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2005