PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Obscure Patriots Players

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe not so obscure (except to the younger fans) but how about Joe Capp? Had a great career with the Vikes and was hailed as the savior when the Pats traded for him - around 1972 I think. He was absolutely horrendous for us in the one year he was here. I think we drafted Jim Plunkett #1 overall during the next offseason.

IIRC.

How about "Big House" Moore, the starting right tackle on the '86 Super Bowl team? I believe he was shot dead outside a convenience store maybe 10 years or so ago.

J D Sal

patsfan55 said:
werent sed and harold shaw before terry allen and ray harris

wow, our running backs sucked

Yeah, you're correct.

How about the kickers?

After Tony Franklin, we were treated to the likes of Jason Starauvski, Teddy Garcia, and whichever Bahr brother's twilight before the kid named Vinatieri showed up.

And I neglected two of my favorites, tight ends Greg Baty and Marv Cook.

And the Pre-Bledsoe clusterf*ck of quarterbacks. Hodson's been mentioned, but let's pay homage to Hugh Millen, Marc Wilson, and Scott Secules.

And scab extraordinaire Michael LeBlanc.

Last edited:
PromisedLand said:
Maybe not so obscure (except to the younger fans) but how about Joe Capp? Had a great career with the Vikes and was hailed as the savior when the Pats traded for him - around 1972 I think. He was absolutely horrendous for us in the one year he was here. I think we drafted Jim Plunkett #1 overall during the next offseason.

IIRC.
I followed the rules and didn't google anything before posting that. But afterwards I did. A few corrections:

First it was Joe Kapp, not Joe Capp. Second, his career with the Vikings was not great - he played 3 years for them (per pro-football-reference.com), making 1 Pro Bowl. In 1969 he led the Vikings to a 12-2 record and a berth in Super Bowl IV where they lost to Lin Dawson and the KC Chiefs. Subsequently he was acquired by the Patriots for the 1970 season, but he completed only 44% of his passes and only 3 TDs vs 17 INTs! That was the last season of his NFL career.

He was indeed succeeded as the Patriots starting QB by #1 overall draft pick Jim Plunkett, who started all 14 games in 1971.

dryheat44 said:
And the Pre-Bledsoe clusterf*ck of quarterbacks. Hodson's been mentioned, but let's pay homage to Hugh Millen, Marc Wilson, and Scott Secules.

And scab extraordinaire Michael LeBlanc.

i was gonna say hugh millen before
i just thought we were sticking to guys who didnt play much at all, but everyone else aready mentioned starters

anyway, millen was awful
i actually met him once (i was like eight or nine yrs old) and he told me to be quiet
his gf at the time was lisa guerrero, who was the cheerleading choreographer
and, they were performing a routine when i asked him for his autograph

don't forget about the best alltime WR's for the Pats:
1)Torrence Small
2)Gizmo Williams

Derrick Collours-RB
Jay Barker-QB
Ricky Reynolds-wr? db?
Dave Wollobaugh (sp?)-C
Max Lane (Reggie White's turnstile)-OL
Todd Rucci-OL
Wasn't there a center with the last name "Arthur" during Bledsoe's rookie year?

Earlier players from some bad years

Halvor Hagan
Mike Montler
Dennis Byrd
Karl Singer
Mike Battle

Last edited by a moderator:
Correction - someone said Joe Capp - it is Joe Kapp

Tom Yewcik - punter and back up QB to Babe Parilli

Steve Zabel -- played linebacker next to Steve Nelson

Joe Bellino -- Navy baby - one of Bellichicks favorites as a kid.

Jimmy Colclough - 60's receiver

Art Graham - 60's reciever from BC

Len St Jean - Offesive lineman 60's

dryheat44 said:
I also remember Robert Weathers coming into a game on 4th and 1 to get the yard and close out a win against Cincinatti, and instead of picking up the first down, ran for a 49 (+/-) yard TD. I believe it was the last game of the season sometime around '86.

Yeah he ran off tackle to the right and there was a wall of people but no one to wrap him up so he slid off andran 49 yards. Then the fans rushed onto the field pulled down the goal posts and supposedely were shocked when the goal post touched a power pole.

Heres one Pete Brock

Does anyone remember what psositioned that Ron Sellers played?

AzPatsFan said:

Wr - he was traded for Duane Thomas

AzPatsFan said:

Talk about a 1st rd. pick that laid an egg. How about Randy Vataha. 55 Catches in '71 as a 17th rd. pick. Teammate of Plunkett @ Stanford.

Remember Eugene Profit. He was a ST player and won a game with a blocked punt against NO in 1986.

Last edited:
How about "Sideways" Ike Forte. Most appropriate knickname ever given to a RB.

After some more thought (I did not cheat!)...

Scott Siscion--kicker in the early drew years

Didn't Henry Ellard play a game or two with the pats in the Carroll era?

Steve Isreal-cb

Mario Grier-rb

Dietrech Gells-wr (I really liked him)

Ray Lucas-qb

Michael Timpson-wr

Last edited by a moderator:
hail, clayton weisuhn and mack herron

rhubma said:
Clayton Weishuhn - would have been an all-time Pats great
my two favorite "low-profile" patriots alumni.
weisuhn's wife got cancer and he quit football to go and be with her in (oklahoma?). i think he played 2 years and was starting to capture fans attention.

BradfordPatsFan said:
Scott Siscion--kicker in the early drew years

Didn't Henry Ellard play a game or two with the pats in the Carroll era?

Mario Grier-rb

Ray Lucas-qb

Sisson clanked a kick off the crossbar in the first game the Pats ever played against the Panthers to lose the game. I remember the kick clearly, as its exactly what popped into my head when Vinatieri lined up for the win in the Super Bowl against the Panthers.

Ellard did play a game or two. The season Edwards and Tebucky were our first round picks. So did Chris Calloway, though it may have been the next season.

Grier, out of Chattanooga. I remember he'd come in and spell Curtis Martin (along with Sedrick Shaw, an obscure name I don't want to remember). Shaw would dance and lose 3 yards, Grier would rumble for 10. I liked him alot.

Lucas wandered around the NFL as a QB for a number of years. Last I remember, he started for the Dolphins for a game a number of years ago (2? 3?) The thing I remember him best for was blocking a punt in a preseason game.

Secules... now that's one of my favorite. Anyone else remember the Scott Secules game? Drew was hurt... Zolak must have been too, as Secules started the game. Pretty sure they lost, but hey.

For early to mid-90s running backs, how about Scott Lockwood and Corey Croom? Croom's probably not such an obscure name (spelling everyone from Leonard Russell to Marion Butts to Curtis Martin in his career), but Lockwood probably brings back memories. Or, to reach deeper into the vaults of memory, Dino Philyaw out of Oregon. Some thought he'd be the feature back despite being a 6th round pick. Well, a 3rd rounder named Curtis had something to say about that. Did Philyaw even make it out of camp? Or was he a Leonta Rheames/Tony George?

How about Chris Carter, the safety out of Texas? Dwayne Sabb? Terry Ray?

How about Mike Arthur? Who got traded for Bill Schroeder, Jeff Wilner, Ferric Collons, and Mike Bartrum? Who won that deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes