PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Obscure Patriots Players

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDSal45

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Without cheating, or googling, name an obscure Pats player you remember, and why, from years past. Here is mine:

Carlos Pennywell

I always thought he had talent, but never developed.

J D Sal

Last edited:
Nice topic, although in a forum like this I think it's hard to name any "obscure" Patriots

Pennywell! Love it. Don't remember much about him other than he was with the Pats in the late 70's. Hearing that name, my first instinct was to think of perennial backup Don Westbrook. Same position. I cannot remember the game, I think it was the "Stupor Bowl" versus the Colts in '81, but he actually caught two tds in a single game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hason Graham was probably my favorite, though I liked Dietrich Jells and Chris Wing as well. Really thought Graham would make the roster after his preseason kickoff return for a TD and tearing it up as a WR (I think he did actually play on the active roster the year before). Chris Wing, I thought he had a chance at sticking on ST since he was doing pretty well there in the preseason. Jells I just liked the name, same goes for Kendricke Bullard.

Chris Wing! You stole mine. Rats. Let's see...

Scott Secules.

The last Pats QB to play in a game with Pat Patriot on his helmet as the teams standard uniform, excluding throwbacks that Brady (2002) and Bledsoe (1994) wore, was...

#17 Jeff Carlson, a lefty QB from 1992. The only Pats left-handed QB??? Help???

Last edited:
Mike Ruth drafted as a nose tackle out of Boston college. The guy was very stromg but had short arms and couldn't seperate from the center. My lasting memories of him were his trying to get by Miami center I think it was Dwight Stephenson and going nowhere. He played on kickoff teams and would come down the field at 100 mph and run by people. I;m sure he would have killed the ball carrier if he ever connected.

JDSal45 said:
Without cheating, or googling, name an obscure Pats player you remember, and why, from years past. Here is mine:

Carlos Pennywell

I always thought he had talent, but never developed.

J D Sal

**** Conn, S.

Spent a weekend hunting with Conn, Steve Grogan, and Andy Johnson. Pure class. Totally nice guy. Wish my family hadn't fallen out of touch with him.

Julius said:
Mike Ruth drafted as a nose tackle out of Boston college. The guy was very stromg but had short arms and couldn't seperate from the center. My lasting memories of him were his trying to get by Miami center I think it was Dwight Stephenson and going nowhere. He played on kickoff teams and would come down the field at 100 mph and run by people. I;m sure he would have killed the ball carrier if he ever connected.

Great one. I missed big time on him, as far as my draftnik abilities. I was talking to **** Steinberg before the draft and said something like "I hope you guys draft Mike Ruth". He said something like "with any luck we'll be able too" (you'd never get that kind of answer now-a-days). They took him, and his 8 inch long arms.......................I didn't know.:)

Gotta Remember

Ray Crittenden : Guy couldnt catch the ball unless he has horizontal to the ground.

One of my all time favorites: Corwin Brown, I was sad when he moved on to Detroit.

From the Seventies...

Johnny Outlaw (CB)- great name for a defensive player. Our best db for a lot of really bad teams.

Steve Kiner- OLB- Fast. Great @ blitzing. The amount of drugs he used put new meaning into the phrase, "he was all over the field".

Sam Hunt-ILB- 5' 11" 250 (that was when guards weighed that much). Came in and played the middle w/ Steve Nelson under Fairbanks. The epitome of an interior 3-4 run stopper.

Leonard Myers. He was as obscure a cornerback as you could get until he sold his Super Bowl 36 ring on ebay!! He's in the CFL now.

:eek:

could someone help me about your feeling about Vincent Brisby - WR ?
i think he was # 82 at Bledsoe times...

was it good or so and so ?

PatriotNation said:
Gotta Remember

Ray Crittenden : Guy couldnt catch the ball unless he has horizontal to the ground.

One of my all time favorites: Corwin Brown, I was sad when he moved on to Detroit.

Corwin Brown. Nice pull. When I was in school, Corwin would come in over the summers and help out with conditioning since his career was winding down (he had just been signed by the Lions). He's made the transition into coaching very well.

Michigan Dave said:
Corwin Brown. Nice pull. When I was in school, Corwin would come in over the summers and help out with conditioning since his career was winding down (he had just been signed by the Lions). He's made the transition into coaching very well.
I believe Corwin is coaching now, perhaps in Dallas with Parcells?

J D Sal

Rod Shoate - LB
Jim Bowman - S Made some big ST plays in the 1985 playoffs
Stephan Starring - WR

Mr Irrlevant - Marty Moore

Bob Gladieux (sp), RB from ND, early years at Schafer stadium (1971?), he was cut and got called out of the stands to play in the 2nd half of a preseason game, after some injuries, he had a few beers during the first half, ran back a KO for a big gain.

Things weren't quite are organized back then.

I liked the mention of Kiner. I remember an apperance he made on a local sports show back then, he was loaded. The Pats had signed Duane Thomas the star/space case RB who had won a SB with Dallas (he flipped out on Landry) and who the Pats had suspended, anyway Kiner and Thomas were friends. Kiner is being interviewed, the set had numbers on the set as a decoration, out of nowhere Kiner asked if the 33 on the wall was a reference to Thomas and his suspension. The poor guy interviewing looked confused and didn't know what ot say, the interview rapidly went south.

Tom Condon (now an agent)
Doug Bedouin
Richard Bishop
Don Calhoun
Rick Samford
Matt Cavanaugh (last player to wear #12 before Tom Terrific???)
Tom Owen
Dwight "Wimpy" Wheeler

Antwan Harris - took the lateral from Troy Brown after the recovered blocked kick... and took it to the house. Hustle play personified.

Last edited:
I also remember Robert Weathers coming into a game on 4th and 1 to get the yard and close out a win against Cincinatti, and instead of picking up the first down, ran for a 49 (+/-) yard TD. I believe it was the last game of the season sometime around '86.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back