Welcome to PatsFans.com

Obit: Philip Agee

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PressCoverage, Jan 10, 2008.

1. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

not a hero of mine... but please don't tell me no one has ever come forward regarding the crimes of our government... regardless, this is the guy who's outing of an officer in Greece and his subsequent murder led to the Intelligence Agencies Protection Act than Ronnie Reagan signed into law... a law our current government violated in the Plame case...

Ex-CIA Agent Philip Agee Dead in Cuba

By WILL WEISSERT – 14 hours ago

HAVANA (AP) — Former CIA agent Philip Agee, a critic of U.S. foreign policy who infuriated American intelligence officials by naming purported agency operatives in a 1975 book, has died, state media reported Wednesday. He was 72.

Agee quit the CIA in 1969 after 12 years working mostly in Latin America at a time when leftist movements were gaining prominence and sympathizers. His 1975 book "Inside the Company: CIA Diary," cited alleged CIA misdeeds against leftists in the region and included a 22-page list of purported agency operatives.

Agee's actions in the 1970s inspired a law criminalizing the exposure of covert U.S. operatives.

But in 2003, he drew a distinction between what he did and the exposure of CIA officer Valerie Plame, the wife of former Ambassador Joseph C. Wilson IV, a prominent critic of President Bush's Iraq policy.

"This is entirely different than what I was doing in the 1970s," Agee said. "This is purely dirty politics in my opinion."

Agee said that in his case, he disclosed the identities of his former CIA colleagues to "weaken the instrument for carrying out the policy of supporting military dictatorships" in Greece, Chile, Argentina, Uruguay and Brazil.

Those regimes "were supported by the CIA and the human cost was immense: torture, executions, death squads," he said.
  2. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Cuba. Castro's Cuba. That says it all.

I feel sorry for Agee, in a way. He fell for the lie that materialistic communism was better than idealistic capitalism.

Now Agee can meet those whom he outed; he can meet those who died throughout the years to protect America; he can meet George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, and all positive central figures in America's history. He will learn something.

//
  3. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

ah yes... the afterlife... now that you mention it, i'm curious... do you believe Bush 41, when he dies, will meet all the heroin addict overdosers his CIA helped kill? is Allen Dulles re-united with all the Guatelmalans or Iranians or Cubans his coup orchestrations whacked or left to die? how about the Chileans murdered in the wake of Pinochet? is Nixon meeting with all those lost souls burned out of their homes, or those tortured to death by Pinochet at Colognia Dignidad?...

they must have had it coming, right? those people? ... just necessary collateral damage in the right's paranoid war against communism, huh?... let's hope they're all re-united in the afterlife, huh preacher?
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  4. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +147 / 31 / -3

#75 Jersey

Nice to know that one of your "heros" is a TRAITOR!!!
  5. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

are you trying to bait me, ultra-concervative, "tactful" moderator? how utterly transparent, predictable, and unfortunate from a man in power here...

where did i mention he was a hero of mine? in fact, in the first sentence, i acknowledged and stated otherwise...
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  6. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

"Preacher"!! OK. I can live with that.

We all meet anyone we want to meet; of course, the other one has to agree, and one may have to go through a lot of hell and high water to see the person the ones we want to see, just like on earth. I've heard, for instance, that Hitler was cornered up a tree for many years, with angry Jews and others he'd exterminated clawing at him, trying to tear off his balls. Also heard that Stalin was hiding so deeply underground, changing his location and sleeping place several times a day, always afraid he was going to be caught. Have to ask: If Stalin was the "great papa of the Soviet people", why would he be hiding all the time?? Who would want to hurt him?? In his physical life he killed millions of his own people, including all of his top generals, whom he felt were plotting to get rid of him. Spirit world continues that. No big changes in one's realm of relationship with others; what is bound here, is bound there.

Point is, I do feel for Agee. I went through some moments of question my self; I know the loneliness of not having any answers when tough questions come up. Unfortunately, he came down on the wrong side. I suppose a few people tried to drive their boats or inner tubes to Cuba to join that "workers' paradise", but most I've heard about have risked life and limb to leave Cuba for the U.S. The illegal alien picture tells me the U.S. still affords a life that gives a lot more hope to people than anywhere else in the world.

Agee couldn't see it when he turned coat, but tens of millions of others have. I suppose those millions are all wrong and he's right, but no, that's not it, either.

//
  7. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

just for the record, for you left of center posters who may inadvertantly displease the conservative moderator here... i received a warning point and stern message from FTW linked to this thread...

i'm still searching for a specific point in this thread where i "insulted another member"... was it the preacher comment? even Fog said he was fine with it...

in fact, the only unprovoked personal insult in this thread occured when the moderator in question lazily labelled ME a "traitor"... as he often does...

what's amazing, however, is that i'm told by one no-substance poster here to "dismount (my) mom" and nothing is done about it... meanwhile, i'm the one taken to task for a thread as innocuous as this... one in which i was clearly instigated, out of no where, by a person in authority here...

that's fine and all... it's what i've come to expect... but i think we can put the tired "liberals get away with everything in this forum" hissy fit to bed...
  8. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +91 / 7 / -13

#37 Jersey

Go back to the Dolphins board than, crybaby.
  9. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

and as we can plainly see, he wasn't even spoken to regarding his "dismount your mom" comment... because he continues to run his mouth...

how transparent...
  10. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Left of Center ganging up: 439

Right of Center ganging up: 1

Who ever said there is "parity" in life??!!!

//
  11. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +562 / 2 / -9

I dismounted my neighbors wife 45 minutes after I mounted her

:bricks: