Welcome to PatsFans.com

Obesity map

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

2. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

It's interesting that the poorest states are the most obese. It used to be that if you were poor, you didn't get enough to eat. Now you can afford junk food but not nutrition.

3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +696 / 17 / -19

#24 Jersey

It is scary and I don't get it. It sucks to be fat. I am 6'0". In 2002 I weighed an ugly 245. Having had enough I lost 60 pounds in 9 months and 5 years later I'm still 185. It sucks, I love to eat. But, ultimately, it's a choice and has little to do with anything else. Pujo, I don't eat "rich" I just don't eat that much. What I eat costs me about $2 a day until I get home - then I have a few different things, something like a plate of frozen meatballs, except for rare exceptions I spend about $5 a day on food.

4. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

The biggest problem is the price of fresh produce. It costs much less to eat at McDonald's twice a day than it does to buy ingredients to prepare a proper meal. If you're middle class it's different, but if you're broke $5 vs $15 makes a big difference.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  5. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +696 / 17 / -19

#24 Jersey

Well I'm not sure a lot of people would LIKE to eat what I do - heck, I don't - but it costs me about $5 a day; MAYBE $7 on the high side.

6. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

By your own admission, you're not a particularly healthy eater, so I don't know that people should be looking to emulate you. The point still stands that cheap food offers way more calories and less nutrition than average priced food.

7. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +476 / 18 / -17

Another way to look at it is that red states suffer from gluttony. :D

8. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +696 / 17 / -19

#24 Jersey

Healthy is in the eye of the beholder I guess. By classic measures, no it's not healthy. However it leaves me at a healthy weight, feeling good and with good blood results. If that's not healthy then so be it . . . I choose not to believe nutritionalists myself as my body tells me otherwise :D

9. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +822 / 7 / -2

You think this is about affording nutrition? That the poor states are fat because poor old elmer has to eat MCDonalds #9's to save a buck? Look at the map over time. In the 80's people weren't nearly as fat, and over time, people have gotten incredibly worse. That's for the entire country. This is about a gluttonous, moronic, welfare society that is all about a fast pace, instant gratification, drive thru, 20 minutes or less, 30 pack, wide mouth, 16 ounce, jumbo size, family size, king size, super size mindset. We're LAAAAAZY and gluttonous. Look at Michael Moore, can he not afford to eat nutritiously? He's as fat as it gets. Go to Chillis, or Polcari's, and see how they have "curb side pick up". People are so lazy, gluttonous, and slobish, that when they order their super sized taco pizza with extra lard and cholestoral, they can't park their car and go inside to get it. They need somebody to bring it to them. Go to a mall, and look at the people walking around, and tell me that all the fat people buying a new XBOX, sneakers, or gallons of make up, can't afford to eat chicken instead of a #9 supersized. This is all about attitude, and ideology, and not about finances. Sure, maybe for some it might be, but to me, eating nutirtiously isn't about money. It's about effort.

10. Real World

Ratings:
    +822 / 7 / -2

That's nonsense. Individually it's $5 per person twice a day your saying. Give me $10 a day, and I'll eat like a king all week long. People are lazy, and don't want to sacrafice. It's like losing wait, all you need is effort. Americans always want it their way, which is the easy way out.

11. Real World

Ratings:
    +822 / 7 / -2

Maybe if your eating out. A $5 #9 will be cheaper than a grilled chicken anything. If you are eating for yourself, there is no way on gods green earth that buying your own food, healthy food at that, is more expensive. I live on my own, and I know. Buy a pound of turkey for $5-6 and a loaf of bread for $1.50, and your good for the week. Heck, I buy a pound of turkey salami at MArket Basket for $1 & change, with some Baked Lays or Pringles on the side. Maybe an apple at 99 cents a pound. $15-20 does me plenty for coffee & lunch. It's all about eating something that doesn't taste as good as a Whopper, but is 25% of the craap. People want to eat what tastes good, and is quickest.

12. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Lazyness and culture plays into it, and I bet there's no shortage of billboards advertising McDonald's to the people Mississippi and Missouri, but at the same time look at how much it costs to buy produce. Go buy a head of lettuce, a tomato, a cucumber, and a bell pepper for a salad, and you've just spent $5-7, without getting bread, meat, or dairy. At McDonald's you get a full "meal" for that amount. There's just no comparisson between prices for healthy and unhealthy food.

13. Patters

Ratings:
    +476 / 18 / -17

In 2001, I spent 6 months in Paris. In the hot, hot August, I would naturally sometimes go out and get ice cream. A single scoop cost a few bucks and was exactly one scoop. I found it very satisfying. When I came home, I went to a mall and ordered a scoop of ice cream. They gave me a cup that was overflowing with the stuff. It's ridiculous. Sometimes, I'll order a salad for lunch, but if you go to place like Pizzeria Uno or Chilis the salad is 90% cheese, bacon bits, croutons, and dressing, with a little lettuce and tomato thrown in for color. For some reason, the mentality of this country is that quantity is more important than quality, and unlike a lot of countries, we really like our fried food.

(I also might add that this crisis is clearly Bush's fault. If he didn't stay so fit, we might not care as much about our weight. Too bad Gore didn't win. :D)

14. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

It's a good thing you don't like vegetables, hope it doesn't come back to bite you! Nothing healthy about salami, you might as well have that whopper. But go buy some raw chicken, ingredients for a salad, and bread, and try to do it for less than dinner at McDonald's.

15. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Puj, you won't die if you eat canned or frozen veggies.

The biggest difference I can see is that kids don't just go out and play anymore. When I was 5 I was allowed outside alone or with other kids as long as I stayed on the block, by the time I was 9 I was restricted only by the major streets surrounding my family's neighborhood which was about a 12 block area. Permit your kids to do that now and you'll be arrested.

16. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

You won't die, but you'll get way less nutrition and way more salt. Either way it's bad for you. I know I'm very glad to have fresh produce.

17. Real World

Ratings:
    +822 / 7 / -2

I completely disagree. We're talking about the entire country here, the general public. Go to a mall in a rich suburb, and people are obese. The next time you walk around a pats game, or anywhere middle class or higher, count how many people are overwieght. When you go to a Friday's, 99, or any other restaurant, count the overweight people. This is not a poor people problem cuz a financial need to eat fast food. That's nonsense. I shop every week as I live on my own. Being fat, for most people, is a choice. At Market Basket in Chelsea, a head of Foxy lettuce is 99 cents. Do you know how many people buy the bagged lettuce already chooped for $2.99? more than those who buy the whole head. Why? Cuz lazy people don't want to put in the time and effort to wash and cut the whole head. They like that the bag is "ready to eat". For $10 a day, or $70 a week, I could honestly eat like a king. How many people prepare a lunch and bring it to work? It's far cheaper to bring your own, only, it doesn't taste as good. Fries and a burger = mmmmmmmmmmmm whereas a turkey sandwich with an apple = blaaaaaaah. I'll take the turkey, size 32 waste, and the extra $$ thank you.

18. Real World

Ratings:
    +822 / 7 / -2

We're on the same page here Patters. This is about our society more so than money. People are slobs.

19. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

We need to look at 1984, and what happened since.

I actually submit to the video game theory.

It was at or around that time that the Atari 2600 and pac-man could be purchased for at home use. I was not a fat child but logged plenty of hours infront of the tube as a youngster.

as the years go on....

Nintendo arrives
    Sega strikes
    PC computer games come along.

THEN...it hits, out of nowhere.....

THE INTERNET

its like a perfect storm

20. Patters

Ratings:
    +476 / 18 / -17

100 burger sandwhich