Welcome to PatsFans.com

Obama's Shift to the Center

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Wildo7, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

http://zmag.org/znet/viewArticle/18052

2. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +564 / 8 / -8

This Just In: During general election campaign, candidate appears less ideologically pure than during primaries! Extry, extry, read all about it! This just in... Dog bites man...

3. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Very concise. And simplistic.

This article is about the forces that coerce ideological impurity, not your ironic exhibition of resignation to the reality of the trend.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  4. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +510 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

No doubt. It should be a reminder, though, that The Prince is a politician just like the rest of them. No standing firm for principles here.

(not saying McCain is either but The Prince was supposed to be different).

5. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +387 / 3 / -15

The "shift isn't just to the right by the left but also a shift to the left by the right. Mr Street must be from the right.

The huge amount of corruption in president Bush's cabinet has caused may republicans to look to the democratic party. This combined with the rapid fall of the Christian Right has contributed to a significant shift to the left by conservative republicans.

Whether you're from the right or the left, there has been a HUGE shift toward the center by the American public.

6. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

As someone who wants Obama to win, I am thrilled he is wise enough to move to the center. Better than being idealogically pure and losing.
    This has always been the area in which conservatives get it. The idea is to win.
    Bill Clinton understood this. And now Obama seems to as well.

Go get 'em Barack, see you at the next Christian Concert!!!!

7. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +387 / 3 / -15

Have you ever noticed how all those commercials for the great "Christian songs" show all white singers & groups? Why the hell is that?

Black singers sing the best Christian songs and it's not even a contest.

8. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

That he is doing it is not a surprise, and shouldn't be to the Nutroots (but it apparently is). He has a ways to go too since he was pretty left to start with. However, I do think he has to be careful, because he has set the tone one way (Hope and Change) and he cannot go so far as to "appear" to abandon his core base.

His star is slightly tarnished lately and he does need to walk a finer line I think. The Dems should win this one in a lock. The fact that Obama isn't doing better should be troubling to them (and I'm sure is).

9. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

Don't worry, he's moved to the center but he won't stay there, he's just another lying vote seeking politician and he will be your next president, then you will see the Real Obama.

America has reverted back to ancient times "Idol Worship" it will be fun to watch.

Stupid Spineless Wimpy Republicans, they deserve to lose, the only chance Wet Back Mccain has of winning is to make ROMNEY his running mate.

We will get through the "Obama Love Fest" I just hope Chicago or Boston doesn't get "Back Packed Nuked" because of the MTV crowds infatuation with this paddle eared kid who "talks pretty"

GOD DAMN AMERICA (obama didn't hear that)===:singing::singing:

10. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +100 / 7 / -14

#37 Jersey

Because it is CHRISTIAN ROCK!

11. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +100 / 7 / -14

#37 Jersey

So the big donations and endorsements from NARAL and Planned Parenthood, don't bother you?

This is a trojan horse strategy.

12. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +387 / 3 / -15

It doesn't sound "rock" on the commercial. but that would explain it if that's the case.

13. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +533 / 6 / -2

The more normal, or typical he makes himself look, the less auora that surrounds his candidacy. It'll be interesting to see how such moves affect independents, if it at all. It's a long, long way till November.

14. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +533 / 6 / -2

I think I know the commercial you're talking about. It's for the gun clingin', religion loving folk out in the midwest (being a dink). Seriously though, was that a Tim/Life CD? They actually had some catchy tunes in that commercial. One of them I remember youtubing cuz it had a nice rhythm to it. I can't remember the name though.

15. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Republicans drift to the center less than Democrats do. The Red Division of the Republicrat seem to be doing that to solidify their paranoid and fear-loving "base" and ride it in to November. They have been very successful lately. It looks like both the Reds and the Blues are going to drift to the center and meet in the middle. Ho-Hum! Nothing ever changes.

The only candidates that represent anything are always marginalized and made to look like nut-jobs when they are the only true hope for getting out of the insane government we have to live under. Tax and spend, throw the military around whenever and wherever the corporations decide they need help, pass new laws restricting non-criminal behaviors, continue on and on without an energy policy...etc., ...etc.....

Stay to the middle! Don't look left! Don't look right! Do what the media tells you to!

16. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

of course they do, but i dont vote based on one issue. on more issues i side with the Democratic Party. Economy, deficit, war policy, healthcare, education. Maybe some day the party will wake up on abortion.

17. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +387 / 3 / -15

lol...yes, I think it was a Time/Life commercial. I remember it just struck me that it looked like a commercial for "white people who want to listen to white people singing Christian songs"

I like the "Sister Act" kinda spiritual songs myself.

18. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +276 / 38 / -4

#75 Jersey

The NRA announced today that they are going to spend 20 million on anti-Obama messages, because they (rightly so) feel that with one appointment to the SC, that vote changes to completely disregard the constitution.

Obama can not move any further to the left, as he is already a Marxist, any move towards the right is, in the words of his "Reverend" just "Obama being a politician".

19. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +387 / 3 / -15

So says the man who wants to unfreeze Ted Williams...

Well, I would suggest you start preparing yourself for "Your president of the United States...BARAK OBAMA!!"

and the crowd goes wild!

Yup, not much you can do about it, so might as well accept it and get used to it.

President Obama...nice ring to it.

All he wants to do is take machine guns out of the hands of the public. I'd say that is supported by the majority of our citizens, then so be it...so shall it be written.

20. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +276 / 38 / -4

#75 Jersey

Exactly what state won by Bush is Obama going to carry????

I realize that CNN, PMSNBC et al are telling you that he is going to win, but I find it hard to believe, He is going to have a very hard time carrying a few states that Kerry won (PA, ME, NH off the top of my head). Now you have to remember that McCain's views are much closer to Bill CLinton that Obama is, so McCain is going to get every single vote that Bush got, plus the anti-Obama vote. Obama can count on the black vote (which Kerry got 96% of), now given Obama has a Daley connection so he will get 105% of the black vote, but aside from that, what Bush voter is he going to attract?