Welcome to PatsFans.com

Obama's NEW "Global Poverty Act" is a nightmare !

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by cupofjoe1962, May 5, 2008.

1. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +33 / 12 / -2

I had heard that Obama was plannig on increasing foreign aid from 20+ billion to 50 billion by 2012.

Today I heard of the Global Poverty Act which would make foreign aid law !
    He wants to commit the U.S. to spending 0.7 percent of gross national product on foreign aid, which amounts to a phenomenal 13-year total of $845 billion over and above what the U.S. already spends."

845 Billion over 13 years = 65 Billion per year plus the 20+ Billion we
    already give = 85+ Billion per year in foreign aid (see below).

Obama's Poverty Bill
    According to Cliff Kincaid of Accuracy in the Media, "Senator Joe Biden, chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee ... is trying to rush Obama's "Global Poverty Act" (S.2433) through his committee. . The legislation would commit the U.S. to spending 0.7 percent of gross national product on foreign aid, which amounts to a phenomenal 13-year total of $845 billion over and above what the U.S. already spends."

Why is Barack Obama suddenly interested in passing some kind of legislation? He has done NOTHING in the past, no record in the Senate to run on other than being the MOST LIBERAL of all Senators? Does he need something to run on, some ONE thing that he can brag about on the campaign trail.

If this is a worthy bill, why try to rush it through in the dead of night? Why try to hide the true cost of the bill to American taxpayers and voters? I say let the light shine. Voters, is this REALLY what you want from a president? Do we really want the United Nations telling us what to do? It's madness, absolute madness.

A nice-sounding bill called the "Global Poverty Act," sponsored by Democratic presidential candidate and Senator Barack Obama, is up for a Senate vote on Thursday and could result in the imposition of a global tax on the United States. The bill, which has the support of many liberal religious groups, makes levels of U.S. foreign aid spending subservient to the dictates of the United Nations. [snip]

The bill, which is item number four on the committee's business meeting agenda, passed the House by a voice vote last year because most members didn't realize what was in it. Congressional sponsors have been careful not to calculate the amount of foreign aid spending that it would require. According to the website of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, no hearings have been held on the Obama bill in that body. (more)

http://www.nationalledger.com/cgi-bin/artman/exec/view.cgi?archive=22&num=18845

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=56405

http://www.aim.org/aim-column/obamas-global-tax-proposal-up-for-senate-vote/
    Last edited: May 5, 2008
  2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 4 / -2

Haven't we discussing this once?
  3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +299 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

I still don't know how the Federal Government can get away with taking our money and sending it to other countries. IMO the furthest it should be able to go is to set up charities which are easy to contribute to. However to collect taxes and send part of them overseas is way beyond what should be legal.
  4. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +33 / 12 / -2

Throwing money at the problem is not the solution.
    Loook at all the money we have given Haiti and I seen people eating dirt
    cookies on the news a few weeks back.

The corrupt third world goverments does not give the aid to the people
    that need it the most.

Before someone responds ripping Bush (I am not Bush lover), I did receive
    a $1,800 check last friday for my family of 4.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you will not have to listen to his incessant whining about how hungry he is
  5. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +33 / 12 / -2

If you did.... I missed it !
    I just found out about this today.
  6. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +299 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

7. cupofjoe1962