Welcome to PatsFans.com

Obama's master stroke

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +494 / 20 / -17

As much as I dislike what Obama gave the drug companies, it could be a master stroke in the struggle to get national health care.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/09/health/policy/09lobby.html?_r=1

The drug industry has authorized its lobbyists to spend as much as $150 million on television commercials supporting President Obama’s health care overhaul, beginning over the August Congressional recess, people briefed on the plans said Saturday.

The unusually large scale of the industry’s commitment to the cause helps explain some of a contentious back-and-forth playing out in recent days between the odd-couple allies over a deal that the White House struck with the industry in June to secure its support. The terms of the deal were not fully disclosed. Both sides had announced that the drug industry would contribute $80 billion over 10 years to the cost of the health care overhaul without spelling out the details.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  2. PatsFanInMaine

PatsFanInMaine Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

So much for the promised openness in governmnet.:eek:

3. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Wait until he starts talking about price controls on prescription drugs...........
    The drug companies are naive if they think that by supporting health care reform, it will protect them from being the next target....

4. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

you mean like EVERY other nation on Earth does?.....right.

as it stands right now you and I pay the cost for a grandpa in France, and England and everywhere else because of the so called 'free-market' in the United States.

you seem to be cool with that.

5. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

Awesome, sell out to the drug companies to "buy" their cooperation. The only reason they would agree, is because the 80 Bil is significantly less then they would ordinarily be obligated to pay (i.e. it was a nice concession). Gee, I wonder who'll have to pick up the slack with the cost that were "dropped", but still be in the bottom line.

Looks around :confused2:

Us......... per chance?

Swell. :rolleyes:

I do agree with you patters. It was a masterful stroke of Chicago-style gangster politics. You threaten them into cooperation, unless they are too big to be threatened, then you buy their cooperation. Whats good for the American people be dammed. :rolleyes:

6. alvinnf

alvinnf In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +14 / 1 / -0

Managed care has made the playing field uneven for many drug companies. They hop on board and ensure their piece of the pie. I would say they would be happy to not compete with generic.

7. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Fight money with money. Which means this reform is not nearly as close to true reform as it should be.

8. godef

godef In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

The pharmaceutical industry is just as corrupt as the private healthcare industry. Pharmaceutical companies actually pay some generic drug manufacturers to not make generic versions of their drug, in order that they can continue to make their outrageous profits. And of course, guess who ends up paying for the monies paid to the generics.

Any discussion of Healtcare Reform must include the pharmaceuticals.

9. Patters

Ratings:
    +494 / 20 / -17

PiNY, that's how politics in this country works. You have no choice but to line up allies. The resulting legislation reflects the various alliances. Clearly, Obama understood how difficult it would be to secure passage of health care reform. He has built an alliance that includes unions, doctors, nurses, and pharmaceutical companies. Insurance companies, however, do not seem to be hedging their bets going for a scorch and burn strategy with their intimidation tactics at townhall meetings and the spreading of insane, irrational lies. The biggest problem the right will face is once health care is passed and its no big deal to most people, all the right wing deceptions will be exposed as lies.

10. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Changing the subject has never been a problem for the right.

11. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

except that it will be a big deal to most people as true with any governement program, it turns out to cost 3x as much as the current plan states........like every other health intiative the government has ever implemented........but this time its different, right?

buncha fools

12. Patters

Ratings:
    +494 / 20 / -17

The government runs a lot of things well--the courts, the military, FEC, FCC, etc. But, sure, politicians are as overly optimistic about the benefits of their plans as are corporations about the benefits of their products. As in sports, winning takes precedence over truth, and goes for both sides (but some of the Republican claims about the health care proposal are really beyond the pale).

13. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +740 / 17 / -19

#24 Jersey

Damn, I thought that gay video of obama had finally emerged.

14. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +917 / 14 / -7

Ought implies can.

15. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I'm not so sure we can't.

16. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +917 / 14 / -7

Fighting money with money seems to be where we are now. My brittle old mind isn't going to go all the way to Utopia.... I have enough trouble with the nasty muck of politics as we know it.

That's why we also need your presumeably not-yet-brittle mind on the job too. Assuming that the brittleness on my part and unbrittleness on your part are functions of age rather than cooption.

:)

PFnV

17. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,818 / 35 / -29

#87 Jersey

The FEC that helped Bush win the election in 2004 ... blasphemy ... :rofl:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009