Welcome to PatsFans.com

Obama's made a bold political move

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +141 / 1 / -4

Listen to this ad:

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0908/Obamas_abortion_ad.html#comments

It sounds like he taking it to 'em. Right after the Bristol Palin story and during the Republican National Convention, he chooses to run this ad? He's saying to the right that the American people believe a woman has the right to make decisions about her own body even if it involves abortion. He's not being subtle as the last god-knows-how-many Democrats have been. I know many of us disagree on abortion, but as a strategic or tactical move by the Obama campaign, it's very interesting. It carries risks for both sides. Do you think the Republicans will touch this ad? Maybe they'll be forced to?
  2. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +77 / 5 / -7

#37 Jersey

3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +246 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

I wouldn't call it bold given that most people support abortion. I'd like to know if he feels the baby has the right to veto the decision to be ripped apart and vacuumed up.

I doubt the Republicans will respon too much, though, given polls on abortion. The whole thing about abortion is just a damn shame. I saw a stat here (I'd have to look if someone wants a link) that 25% of African American babies have been aborted over the past 20 year. It's just really sad and to word it as a women's power thing is even sadder.
  4. atomdomb

atomdomb Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I frankly believe Obama is due to burn in hell for his stance on abortion. Scraping out a fertilized egg is one thing, but 3 times Obama voted to veto the ban on partial birth murder. Yes, voting not the veto the procedure that delivers a child until just it's head remains in the birth canal and then using a sharp instrument to open a path to use a vacuum on the child's brain is very bold. F'ing sick and devoid of human conscience but bold nonetheless. Kudos.

Edit...by the way, partial birth murder is not a women's choice and the American public doesn't think so either.
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  5. Patters

Ratings:
    +141 / 1 / -4

Some of your ideas are like the left's ideas of showing death and destruction to fight the Iraq war. I guess that approach doesn't work too well. The issues are more profound than a mere sensational ad can capture. Of course, I do understand how those of you who feel that life begins at conception (or thereabouts) feel about this issue. If you really believe what you say, then you believe abortion is murder. But, of course, many people don't see it that way, yet at the same time favor education and social programs to combat the need for abortion.
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  6. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +246 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

I'm fine with the government paying for voluntary vasectomies. Not trying to be funny. It's really not that hard. If pressed I may be OK with government funded contraception. As I said on another thread, I'm not in an argumentative mood right now. But I can't support babies being ripped apart. And the education thing is silly, if you want to learn in school you can.
  7. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

IRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAQQQQQQQQQQQQQ!!!!!!!!!!!

Partial birth abortion is dispicable.
  8. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +77 / 5 / -7

#37 Jersey

I don't people realize that overturning Roe v. Wade would not make it illegal to have a abortion it would just leave it up to the individual states. So obviously some states it would still be legal and other it wouldn't.
  9. Patters

Ratings:
    +141 / 1 / -4

Not necessarily. I think it depends on exactly how the Supreme Court ruled. If they ruled narrowly, you're right, but if they ruled more broadly, then I think it could outlaw abortion throughout the U.S. (I could be wrong, but I would think this parallels civil rights cases in the sense that if the Court sees the fetus as a human life, then it would be protected under the Constitution.)
  10. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

You're wrong. If Roe V Wade were overturned tomorrow, then it would become a state issue. Individual states would then determine if abortion would be legal inside their lines, and if so, what the parameters would be. Personally, being more of a federalist, or a believer in states rights, that's what I'd prefer.
  11. Patters

Ratings:
    +141 / 1 / -4

I might be wrong, but even if I am, many states would outlaw abortions, maybe even all abortions. And, what I can't figure out is why the Supreme couldn't overturn Roe v. Wade on the grounds that the fetus is a human being protected by the Constitution? That, it seems to me, would outlaw abortion. But, I will admit I can't find any article that discusses my question.
  12. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +150 / 3 / -19

How would you proceed by popular vote or by Supreme Court Decision?? The problem with the latter is that in some states the SC justices are elected. and you could a slate favoring one side or another.. guess it is that same thing.. but money often follows the candidate.
  13. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

It's never too late. Obama in 08 [​IMG]
  14. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +107 / 7 / -10

So does the ad show a pic of a dismembered baby??
  15. Patters

Ratings:
    +141 / 1 / -4

I'm really not worried about those ads at all. They're disgusting and you have every right of accusing every woman who had an abortion of committing an atrocity, but many, many women have had to deal with the fear of pregnancy and the thought of abortion. Even many women who don't like abortion understand the complexity of the issue, and they would be more offended by those ads than you think.