Welcome to PatsFans.com

Obamacare Waivers

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by lostjumper, Nov 15, 2010.

1. lostjumper

lostjumper Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

So, the White House has handed out 111 waivers for Obamacare. Basically, it means that the healthcare plans offered by those companies or organizations do not need to meet the requirements laid out in the bill. Below are a few of the waiver recipients.

#12– UFCW Allied Trade Health & Welfare Trust
    #14– IBEW No.915
    #19– Asbestos Workers Local 53 Welfare Fund
    #33– Plumbers & Pipefitters Local 123 Welfare Fund
    #35– UFCW Local 227
    #52– UFCW Maximus Local 455
    #55– Local 25 SEIU
    #60– UFCW Local 1262
    #78– Local 802 Musicians Health Fund
    #83– Local 17 Hospitality Benefit Fund
    #89– International Union of Painters and Allied Trades (IUPAT)
    #91– Transport Workers
    #92– UFT Welfare Fund (United Federation of Teachers)

All of those are unions that actively stumped for the bill. It would seem to be hypocritical to ask for a waiver, no? Maybe holydiver or MrsPats could explain it.
  2. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +536 / 9 / -4

#24 Jersey

Yeah, yeah....11 unions who supported it and 13 health care providers who actively stumped to prevent it, too.

Adventist Care Centers
    HCR Manor Care
    New England Health Care
    Aegis Insurance
    Assurant Health
    Unifirst
    Preferred Care Inc.
    Assisted Living Concepts
    Pocono Medical
    CIGNA
    Harden Health Care
    Aetna
    HealthPort

I don't know why you'd ask me to explain it, anyhow. I've never belonged to a union in my life. There's only one person in my family who belongs to a union and he's got no choice. My father quit the post office when the union entered the picture due to the fact that he refused to join and chose to retire early instead. My brother-in-law was in the Sheet Metal Workers Untion for 25 years, most of his adult life and he's been out of work for 4 years now.

Maybe you've got me confused with someone who cares?

Personally, I don't think anyone should get waivers.

But that's just me.
  3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +451 / 6 / -2

So much for all that talk about special interests.
  4. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +223 / 6 / -7

Not a trustworthy news site, I admit, but nonetheless it some seem to explain the issue succinctly:

Obama Administration Grants Health Care Waivers to Big Companies, Unions - FoxNews.com

Administration officials defend the move as a means to protect lower wage workers wanting coverage. It makes sure a new class of of uninsured Americans is not created before other options are available.

"The waivers are about ensuring and protecting the coverage that people have until there are better options available to them in 2014," said White House spokesman Robert Gibbs. "This is about implementing a bill correctly. This is about ensuring ... we don't put them at the mercy of health insurance companies."

Among those getting the out are several fast-food restaurants, small manufacturing and construction businesses, some farm workers and the New York City school teachers, whose union supported the health care law but also provides supplemental insurance to its members.
  5. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +919 / 8 / -19

#87 Jersey

This is old news and we discussed this before ... this was one of the reasons the bill was crafted behind doors in Pelosi's office.
  6. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Can you really write that with straight face when you are referring to unions and NYC teachers??????

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...cher "new york city"&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

>>>New York City's teachers are especially well paid. According to the state's school district profile, the median teacher in the city earns $53,017 a year. Unfortunately, information on the number of hours worked by the average teacher in the City is not readily available. But, if we make the generous assumption that the average teacher in New York works the maximum 6.6 hours a day allowed by the union contract for the full 181 school days, that works out to $44.38 an hour<<<<.
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  7. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +536 / 9 / -4

#24 Jersey

Hmmm....In Alexandria, Va., teachers make an average of $58.000.00 - and they are eligible, along with firefighters and nurses and paramedics, for subsidized housing.

http://alexandriava.gov/uploadedFiles/housing/info/housingsorksession_6706_MDavisandHMcIlvaine.pdf

While living near DC is considered quite expensive, I'm pretty sure NYC is considered even more expensive to live in.

Somehow I don't think 53K a year goes very far in New York.
  8. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Maybe not in Manhattan but in Staten Island or Brooklyn, it goes farther.
    \
    And it is for less than ten months work and is often supplemented by summer income at camp or other jobs..
    And that is median. not average which is likely higher.
    The point is that the administration is claiming waivers are for lower income workers, and I don't think NYC teachers qualify.

The link you posted lists a one income -three person household which is eligible if their income is below $58K . A new teacher earning $40K would qualify IF they had two dependents and sought a 2 bedroom apartment . More likely the secretaries and dental assistants earning much less would qualify for the subsidized housing, not the higher income teacher. A new teacher is not likely to have 2 dependents unless they went back to school later in life.
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2010