Welcome to PatsFans.com

Obamacare Affect - Shift from full-time to part-time labor force

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, Feb 3, 2013.

1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +416 / 4 / -15

#18 Jersey

As employers prepare for Obamacare, they are shifting many full-time jobs to part-time jobs in order to avoid paying fines. We really can't blame these companies for protecting themselves from increasing the cost of labor. Most of us would do the same thing.

Retail Workweek Hits 3-Year Low In ObamaCare Shift

Read More At IBD: Retail Workweek Hits 3-Year Low As Firms Evade ObamaCare Mandate - Investors.com

So although more people are working, total hours worked has declined. Which means less money is being received by their workers, not more.

2. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +571 / 11 / -4

#24 Jersey

Before you go saying, "Most of us would do the same thing," please show us some stats which tell us the percentage of employers who are trying to beat the system, so to speak, by forcing employees from full time to part time
    status.

Your cited article is chock-full of key words - " may be the start, " "signs suggest that," "It's possible that," "also may be an option, " may potentially be decreased", "before actions it might take," "may hurt those employees' finances" and "they may keep a lid."

None of which is an absolute or based on anything other than conjecture.

3. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,141 / 13 / -27

#87 Jersey

Employers have been doing this for quite some time now.

Perhaps more now ??? - but it's been a trend for a while now.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  4. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +416 / 4 / -15

#18 Jersey

The point of the article wasn't so much a shift from full-time to part-time, but more that total hours worked is declining despite a slight rise in employment. I believe that IS a recent shift IP.

So we'd have to add another line showing "Total Hours Worked" over time to your graph.

5. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +571 / 11 / -4

#24 Jersey

Yeah....and that's why the title of this thread is "Obamacare Affect - Shift from full-time to part-time labor force."

6. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +416 / 4 / -15

#18 Jersey

I would suggest reading the article to anyone who has questions. Not that anyone should have any questions....but you never know.

7. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,141 / 13 / -27

#87 Jersey

[​IMG]

8. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +416 / 4 / -15

#18 Jersey

It's been decling steadily as you can see in the chart from the article.

9. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +571 / 11 / -4

#24 Jersey

Wouldn't we have to see what it was for several years prior to 2010 in order to actually draw a conclusion as to Obamacare being the cause?

Maybe it's part of a normal wax and wane - or maybe it's caused by more women in the workplace since women tend to traditionally start/end their careers with voluntary part time work. Maybe every Nov/Dec shows a large uptake in part time work due to seasonal jobs - which again are traditionally part time.

Maybe alot of things, yanno?

Your own article is full of them.

10. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +416 / 4 / -15

#18 Jersey

I have read countless articles with quotes from several companies stating openly they are reducing the number of full-time workers and replacing them with part-time workers to prepare for Obamacare.

This isn't a theory, it's a fact. Of course companies aren't going to allow gov't policy to increase their labor costs, so they are doing the right thing to protect their businesses, their wallets and their share holders.

See for yourself...

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=d...50,d.dmQ&fp=11469b21971efabc&biw=1280&bih=907

11. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +571 / 11 / -4

#24 Jersey

"Several companies." - Out of how many, PR? Any idea of how many companies there are in The United States? "Several" doesn't really upset me all that much. Is it 1%, 10%, 25%, 50%? How many is "several?"

If you're referring to WalMart - no biggie, they've been hiring more part-timers for years - and most of their employees are already on welfare, anyhow.

Daily Kos: Walmart: America's real 'Welfare Queen'

Or are you referring to Red Lobster/Olive Garden? Because if you are, they've backed off that claim.

Darden's Olive Garden, Red Lobster Take Obamacare Staff Cuts Off Menu

Papa Johns, perhaps? They're now offering insurance to all - part time and full time employees.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickung...e-and-give-health-insurance-to-all-employees/

Applebees? Here's a statement from their CEO in response to one franchise owners well-publicized threat to reduce his number of employees due to Obamacare.

Applebee's under fire for franchise owner's remarks on health law - CBS News

No, it isn't "fact." It's a few businesses crying sour grapes and is no way representative of the entire business world.

12. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +416 / 4 / -15

#18 Jersey

Of course no business is going to publically admit what they're doing...but they are doing it to protect their profits/stock holders.

It is common-sense from a business perspective that no company is going allow gov't policy to affect their profitability.

So why don't we just agree to disagree as we typically do?

13. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +716 / 2 / -9

A great percentage of the supporters of Obamacare support it simply because it is "Obama's"

They are his groupies.

Barack Hussein Obama could have an early morning bowel movement in the middle of Pennsylvania Avenue and the Obamacare supporters would declare that day A National Holiday many would consider it The Second Coming Of Christ.

14. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +572 / 6 / -2

This shouldn't be a shock to anyone really. This was predicted by many post Obamacare. Just remember my point that Obamacare is designed to fail (well actually succeed), which will usher in the true desire which is a government provided single-payer system. But I digress....

Businesses (generally speaking) are always going to operate in a fashion that's most efficient for them. If it's better for the bottom line to move the operation to China, they will. If it's better to sub out production of specific components they require, they will. If it's better to pay the fine than it is to offer healthcare insurance directly, they will. If it's better to stay under 50 employees, they will. If it's better to hire more part time employees than it is full time, they will. This isn't anything novel or new. This has been the case since the turn of time.

15. Drewski

Drewski In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +132 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Which is what my current employer will be doing.

It cost the company I work for $11,000 last year for Health Insurance for me and Mrs.Drewski (based on what was on my tax documents). I should note that this is health insurance I used once all year for an Urgent Care visit when I tore the ligaments in my ankle (I don't trust drug pushers, aka, Doctors, thus I don't go to one)

The fine (last I saw it was $2K per employee) would save them, in my family's case, $9K.

Not arguing that they are bad for doing that, simply, to your point, businesses will do what makes most financial sense for them.

PS - I personally think, like you, that this was the plan all along. Otherwise the fine would be significantly higher, thus "incenting" companies to continue to offer said benes.

16. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +416 / 4 / -15

#18 Jersey

I would also be willing to bet that at some point, the federal gov't will try to tax those of us who are provided health insurance by our company. I pay $50/month for great health insurance. So I'd assume it cost my company at least another $8K annually for my insurance.

At some point, the gov't will claim I should taxed on that $8K. Once again, the majority will have to pay for the minority. Although, in this case, the minority is huge.

17. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

At some point there will be a single payer system, but the president will be a white Republican with a nice American-sounding name who does it so it will be called the "FreedomCare" system.

18. Drewski

Ratings:
    +132 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Will the government still be drastically inefficient cost wise then?

If so I will oppose it then too

19. JackBauer

JackBauer Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +704 / 6 / -9

In this case, the government is vastly more efficient than the private sector.

20. Drewski

Ratings:
    +132 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Oh good to know....I was afraid there would be cost over runs just like just about every government program in the last 60 years.

Phew......

In that case....lets do this.