Welcome to PatsFans.com

Obama won the debate

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +287 / 11 / -10

Wow, all the coded racism about him being an "empty suit," "naive," or inexperienced or otherwise unqualified did not work. When Independents watched him debate McCain on McCain's strong suit, no less, Obama won. Obama showed a command of the facts, pointed out McCain's distortions of Obama's record, and behaved in a more presidential manner, imho. (McCain did not even look Obama in the eyes, which someone pointed out is characteristic of a weaker animal when it must confront a stronger one of the same species.)

Well, CBS, CNN, and others polls showed Obama won. But, I was waiting for Gallup, since they are the Republican stalwart, and a polling outfit that's highly respected.

Obama topped McCain in debate: Gallup: The Swamp

Among those who said they saw Friday night's premiere debate, 46 percent said Obama did a better job and 34 percent said McCain did, according to a USA Today/Gallup Poll run Saturday.

"Seventy-two percent of (Republicans) and 74 percent of (Democrats) said that their party's candidate did the better job in the debate. This reinforces the conventional wisdom that many viewers watch a debate through their preexisting perceptual framework and end up with nothing more than reinforcement for what they believed before the debate began.

"But among the crucial group of independents who watched the debate -- those most likely to actually be swayed by what transpired, Obama won by 10 points, 43 to 33 percent.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  2. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Wow all the coded sexism from you about Palin. CNN and forged documents CBS says Obama won. It must be true: :rofl: I am surprised by the Gallup. I truly believe McCain edged out Obama. Especially in mid debate when he got a little more forceful. Maybe that's what people don't like. I'd just add in Gallup's own words "History shows that "winning" the first presidential debate does not necessarily translate into winning the election. Ross Perot, Al Gore, and John Kerry are among those who were seen by debate watchers in quick reaction polls as having done the better job in the first debate of their campaign year, and all eventually lost their elections." And "In addition to sampling error, question wording and practical difficulties in conducting surveys can introduce error or bias into the findings of public opinion polls. Polls conducted entirely in one day, such as this one, are subject to additional error or bias not found in polls conducted over several days."

3. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +43 / 6 / -0

That's because you are a biased right winger masquerading as a moderate.

4. Michael

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Why would I do that?

5. Patters

Ratings:
    +287 / 11 / -10

I don't think sexism had anything to do with it. We were treating her the same way the right treated Clinton, bringing up her sordid personal life.

Of course you would. You're a biased partisan. I felt Obama won, but knew my bias would deny me objectivity on the subject, that's why this poll is good news.

But, the fact that many polls and quite a few conservative pundits concluded the same thing, I think it's safe to say that Obama won. Plus, he's up in the daily tracking polls. That said, I agree with you that just because Obama's winning now does not mean he'll be ahead on election day.

6. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +43 / 6 / -0

Because you think it adds weight to your comments and covers up the fact that you're a partisan hack.

7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +418 / 12 / -26

I think that theirmessages mimicked their parties expectations, but not making eye contact with Obama was a major faux pas.. not sure why, but if he did not make eye contact he could not get angry, kind of like object consistency.. you know peek a boo.. if you do not see the person he is not there.

8. Michael

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Why is that what you do? I could care less what you think. I have no reason to lie to anybody. Unlike your hero. The new wizard of uhs.

9. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +43 / 6 / -0

who's my "hero?" the guy I'm not even voting for? Well done. Every single issue stance you've advocated on this board is far right, you even have the McCain logo in your sig. The idea that you're a moderate is just laughable. That doesn't undermine your positions, but you should just drop the act.

10. Michael

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

And the left never called Bush dumb huh? ;)

And you're not bias towards Obama? OooooooK :rolleyes: And how can I be partisan if I have never voted for a Republican for president before the upcoming election?

That's what I said. But, I didn't see it that way. I'd like to see where in the debate exactly they think Obama was better. If I had the debate recorded I could show where I though McCain was better.

11. Michael

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

How many topics are there that are not about YAY OBAMA YAY? If you look you will see that I have said I'm for gay marriage and pro choice in the very few topics not about this election. How conservative does that make me?

12. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +527 / 13 / -14

#24 Jersey

Coded Racism. What a f*cking loser. Obama will probably win but cut out the race baiting crap.

13. Michael

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Becuase I stated a historical fact that Hitler was considered a great orator (just like Obama is considered now with teleprompter) he tried to say I "admired" Hitler. He can be so silly. :D

14. Patters

Ratings:
    +287 / 11 / -10

Actually, I said I was biased. And if you never voted Republican, then you didn't vote or voted for some third party. I won't believe you if you say you voted for Gore or Kerry since you're obviously quite right wing.

Oh, we could argue that forever, but in the end it's the impression that people are left with at the end of the debate.

15. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Yeah, of course Obama won. I don't think there was much doubt. I think they were pretty close on content, but Obama's clear and concise speaking style contrasted pretty greatly with McCain's muddled and almost rambling style (and I'm a McCain guy). I think it's ridiculous to say that claims about Obama being an empty suit were racist though. Maybe for some, but the majority of people were (and likely still are) concerned with his short time on a national stage. Just because they're criticizing Obama doesn't mean they're racist. I'm not racist, and I'm not voting for him. For many, it's strictly an issues deal.

16. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +527 / 13 / -14

#24 Jersey

We can't say anything negative about Obama or it's "coded racism".

Maybe if I called Patters a man lover that would be "coded gay bashing" :D

17. Patters

Ratings:
    +287 / 11 / -10

Tell me, what do you think the likelihood is that if Obama was white, there would be so many claims against his intelligence (despite his very impressive credentials in that regard)? Do you think if Obama was white he'd be called a Muslim in an accusatory way? Do you think if Obama was white, they'd be raising as many questions about his birth certificate? Do you think if Obama and his minister were white, they would have gotten the same amount of press? Do you think if Obama had been known as a ladies man and had committed adultery to marry his present wife, it wouldn't be a big deal? Do you think if Obama finished 895/899th from his graduating class and McCain finished magna cum laude from Harvard, it wouldn't be a big deal? Do you think if had been Michele Obama, not Palin who gave birth out of wedlock or raised a daughter to do the same, it wouldn't have been a big deal?

That said, of course, there are many, many people who are supporting McCain because of their ideals, and are not at all influenced by race. You may well be one of them, but then again, I don't think you're a major contributor to threads about Obama's religion, his birth certificate, his minister, and the like.

18. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +527 / 13 / -14

#24 Jersey

Right because Bush is black right ? He went to Yale and Harvard. But we all say he's as dumb as a rock.

19. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +527 / 13 / -14

#24 Jersey

Depends if he referred to "my Muslim faith" in an interview I guess.

20. jim_vh

jim_vh Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

the thing with al gore is that those who watched the debate thought gore won. those who watched teh pundits thought bush won. mccain doesn't have that advantage.

about kerry - it is true both kerry and obama won the expectations battle based on what the right wingers had been telling everyone about them. however if you look at the electoral maps for kerry on this date in 2004 and obama on this date in 2008 there is a very different picture.

www dot electoral-vote dot com

and

www dot electoral-vote dot com/evp2004/Pres/Maps/Sep29.html

kerry had 119 electoral votes in the 'strong' category - obama has 175 electoral votes in the strong category.