Welcome to PatsFans.com

Obama Weighs In On Arizona Immigration Laws

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +476 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

It'll be interesting to see what the governor of Arizona decides to do. She's got until tomorrow to act/react/buryherheadinthesand.

PHOENIX — President Barack Obama called an Arizona immigration bill "misguided" Friday and said it could violate people's civil rights, intensifying pressure on the state's Republican governor to veto the nation's toughest legislation against illegal immigration.

Obama said he's instructed the Justice Department to examine the Arizona bill to see if it's legal, and said the federal government must enact immigration reform at the national level — or leave the door open to "irresponsibility by others."

"That includes, for example, the recent efforts in Arizona, which threaten to undermine basic notions of fairness that we cherish as Americans, as well as the trust between police and their communities that is so crucial to keeping us safe," Obama said.

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, who faces a tough re-election battle and growing anger in the state over illegal immigrants, is nearing a deadline to act on the sweeping measure, which would make it a crime under state law to be in the country illegally. It would also require local police officers to question people about their immigration status if there is reason to suspect they are illegally.

Brewer has until Saturday to decide whether to sign the measure, veto it or allow it to become law without her signature

Obama: Ariz. immigration measure 'misguided' | Top AP Stories | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle
  2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +489 / 2 / -9

Nobody gives a sh!t what Obama says anymore, his polls have sunk to the bottom............
  3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +378 / 4 / -2

He should "shush" and let Arizona do what the federal government hasn't, and that's protect it's borders, and citizens, from the runaway invasion. As if the politicians in Washington (Bush, McLame, Obama, GRaham, Pelosi, Ried, etc.) have (had) the people's best interests at heart. Like that 6 year old at Fenway said, Screw 'em!

If you aren't supposed to be here, get the $%#@ out!
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +241 / 8 / -26

The concern may be constitutional issues.. which usually trumps just about anything...
  5. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +305 / 3 / -13

Real World...My Man!!:rocker:

but don't call me a ballwasher....
  6. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think the crackhead-in-chief should ST*U and get out of the way while Arizona actually tries to do something about the illegals taking over our country.
  7. Real World

Ratings:
    +378 / 4 / -2

I just call it how I see it pal. ;)
  8. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +476 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

Apparently she just signed it. Good for her, I guess.

It'll be interesting to see what happens, I think. It's almost like throwing down the gauntlet in a way. Part of me hopes she did it because she believes it's the right thing to do and the other part of me wonders if it's an election year for her.

Whatever - I'm pretty sure there will be challenges regarding the matter which will hit federal courts somewhere down the line.
  9. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +489 / 2 / -9

10. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

The state had to act after the Feds voided their obligations for years. Obama should shut up.

Why is he concerned with the rights of people breaking the law by coming into the country illegally how bout the people like the rancher that was murdered on his property by illegals?

Isn't he aware that the drug wars are spilling across the border and impacting Americans?
  11. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +241 / 8 / -26

Is the constitutional a situational document???

Or should we continue to ignore it as did George Bush??

Lets pick and choose what parts we want to uphold state by state... what a freaking joke.
  12. Real World

Ratings:
    +378 / 4 / -2

You're the freaking joke. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH! Seriously, wtf? Where is your constitutional outrage over Obamacare mandating that citizens buy something, or be fined? BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH!

[​IMG]
  13. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

A number of presidents from BOTH parties have ignored border security, some of us can see beyond petty politics, some of us can't apparently.

BTW if Bush made a stupid comment about this bill like Obama and valued the 'rights' of criminals who enter the country over Americans being victimized by the illegals I would tell him to shut up too.

PErhaps Halliburton should get contract to build a fence so you could have an aneurism over it.
  14. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +776 / 5 / -15

#87 Jersey

I was angry when Congress dropped the ball on immigration during Bush's last year. There's no valid excuse why this issue lingers on. This one's on Congress IMO ... a Congress that continues to suck in every possible way.
  15. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +241 / 8 / -26

Perhaps, all of the above.. the immigration issue has been long ignored, but this bill smacks of unintended consequences.. at first glance it seems unconstitutional, secondly Arizona is 30 % hispanic so that voting base may be mobilized and thirdly the whole unintended consequences thing.. states are struggling with finances already, so you now have to house them and give them due process.
  16. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +241 / 8 / -26

Please articulate the specific constitutional issue??

FYI I am neutral about the health care bill, and have never supported it... but do not understand what part of the constitution it is violating.. while this bill is obvious.
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  17. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +305 / 3 / -13

Ironically, the constitution only applies to Americans. As does the Bill of Rights.

Sort of conundrum, isn't it?
  18. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +476 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

And over 30% of those who will be adversely affected by this law are Americans. What about them?

Or doesn't it matter?
  19. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

:yeahthat: Good for AZ; hunker down and protect your own, God knows nobody else is going to do it for you.
  20. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Great pic-perfect:rocker: