Welcome to PatsFans.com

Obama Wants to Eliminate Sex Education Spending

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsInGA, May 12, 2009.

1. PatriotsInGA

PatriotsInGA Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#11 Jersey

2. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Abstinence only education doesn't work. Good for Obama on finally getting rid of this garbage.
  3. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

From the link...

...with only a minor improvement (for accuracy) from yours truly.
  4. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +297 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

If schools want to spend money to tell kids "where babies come from", I guess that's fine. But they shouldn't be giving kids moral direction that parents may disagree with.

Coincidently my 5th grade is seeing the "All About Boys" and "All About Girls" videos at school today. Being told the differences and working parts is fine with me. Beyond that isn't.
  5. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

Do you have proof or another of your unsubstaniated claims?
  6. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +307 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  7. PatriotsInGA

PatriotsInGA Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#11 Jersey

8. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +307 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

The Republicans who are remaining (the fundamentalist right) do.

A few posters here contend that the Dems all can't stand her so much because she is such a threat electorally.
  9. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +297 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Ironically, abstinance still is the only way to be assured of no pregnancy. For all the stuff the liberals like to spew, none of their methods provide a guarantee. And, no, it is NOT alright for obama or some school to tell people's kids that certain behaviors are OK if the parents disagree.
  10. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

There is no guarantee, look at Bristol Palin, she couldn't possibly have been inundated with any more abstinence-only crap.

Just what exactly is a class that teaches "abstinence only" anyway? Do they stand up there and say "don't do it, don't do it, don't do it" for 45 minutes every day?

As soon as thick headed Republicans understand the fact that making information available to adolescents on how to protect themselves is not the same thing as encouraging them to have sex, this country can move on from this embarrassingly stupid issue. Until then silly Christian parents that stick there fingers in their ears and their heads up their asses are gonna have unprepared kids make terrible decisions and put themselves at risk.
  11. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

So if the moron is right - abstinence only education is ineffective - and you are wrong, what does that make you? Right, a guy who doesn't think about the truth value of his claims before making them.

One of these days this board won't be full of hysterical, unthinking, over-reaction and instead will have informed thoughtful analysis. Right.

Review says abstinence-only ed fails teens - Sexual health- msnbc.com
  12. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

I think they give you good tips on giving BJ's and taking it in the can. I think all that stuff is cool for the abstinence crowd. Perhaps he just doesn't like BJ. :confused2:
  13. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +297 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Abstinence is a guarantee. Abstinence education isn't. Anyway, it's none of the government's business to tell my kids stuff like that. Especially someone like obama who finds supporting baby killing so easy.
  14. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

I believe that they explain the high failure rates with certain methods of birth control, and to be 100% effective, it's abstinence only. Oral contraceptives are only 99% effective (possibly owing to failure to take it daily as prescribed) and those who rely on condoms only have a 3-14% failure rate (3-14% pregnancy rate) if used over the course of a year.

Barrier Methods - Sexual Health Peer Resource Center - Stanford University

I don't necessarily agree with abstinence only but I understand their point.
  15. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

I never took any abstinence only classes and I was taught that stuff, I'm pretty sure that information is standard in any sex education class.

It's the idea of having a class around telling kids not to do something, rather than actually giving them information that leads "teaching" only abstinence to failure.

If adolescents have the biological ability to have sex then they have the right to information about it, regardless of what their parents say.
  16. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

So using your worse case scenario, there's a 1% chance in a 14% chance of a pregnancy if the little perverts just combine the two, as you said, over the course of one year. That comes out to one pregnancy in 700 years.
  17. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I have no problem if they eliminate abstinence-only education.......I agree that it doesn't work.......but then again, all the other kinds of sex ed don't work either, so you may as well bag the whole thing and don't just single out the one part that requires any kind of character or backbone .......... I know, libbies can't stand backbone, but without it, there would be nobody to protect libbies
  18. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

Very good point tanked. Why are the Feds paying for ANY kind of Sex Ed...???
  19. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

just like anything else having to do with libbies.........self-justification
  20. godef

godef Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Abstinence is difficult to enforce. You may as well ask all drivers to strictly obey speed limits everywhere.