Welcome to PatsFans.com

Obama urged to reverse policy on no condolence letters for suicides

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, May 26, 2011.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

Obama urged to reverse policy on no condolence letters for suicides - CNN.com

Washington (CNN) -- A bipartisan group of senators is asking President Barack Obama to change the current "insensitive" policy of not sending condolence letters to families of service members who commit suicide.

A letter signed by 11 senators -- 10 Democrats and one Republican -- and sent Wednesday urges the president to "take immediate steps to reverse the long-standing policy of withholding presidential letters of condolence" to families of troops who killed themselves.

The policy, which goes back several presidents, has been the subject of protest by military families. CNN first reported in 2009 about the family of Spc. Chancellor Keesling, who killed himself while serving in Iraq.

2. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -4

What possible reason is there not to send a letter?

I wonder how non-military suicide rates for the age group compare. ("... every 36 hours a service member kills himself or herself..." is a meaningless comment in and of itself, given not only the lack of comparison but also the omission of the total # of service members)

3. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,066 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

Interesting ... first I hear of this ... seems insensitive ... I hope Obama reverses it.

4. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +688 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +371 / 11 / -28

As much as I agree, if he does so more fodder for the right.

Somehow this will be viewed as a sign of weakness on his part... and will get a lot of play by the right wing mediots.

6. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

I really wonder when the "long-standing" policy was implemented, and why it has taken so long for this issue to be raised. It's absolutely awful that we ask people to endure life and death stress to protect our country, and should the stress overwhelm them and drive them to suicide, then their families no longer deserve condolences from the commander in chief. It's hard to comprehend this sort of callousness. It sounds like something that may have come about when Teddy Roosevelt was president, and the image of "manliness" was at it's most retarded.

7. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

I would applaud him, it would be the decent thing to do but he is a strange man, we will see.

8. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -4

I'm sure some would try (read some of the comments at the link), but it's tough to spin that one negatively, and easy to defend against.

9. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +537 / 6 / -2

My guess is that the original intent was/is to paint killing yourself as dishonorable. Psycologically, that might make a difference for some soldiers who might be teetering on the edge. Just a guess.

I also think it hasn't been a real issue because we simply haven't seen the suicide rates increase like they have in a long, long time. It simply wasn't as noticable before, as it is now.

10. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +240 / 8 / -13

Don't know the reason for the policy. Looking at the Chart it seems that the rates are statistically the same during peacetime and higher during wartime especally among services with a large infantries. I hope we are trying to understand how to identify and help soldiers who are liable to kill themselves due to the added stress.