Welcome to PatsFans.com

Obama to unveil plan to add troops in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Barf.....

Obama to unveil plan to add troops in Afghanistan - Yahoo! News

WASHINGTON – War-weary Americans will support more fighting in Afghanistan once they understand the perils of losing, President Barack Obama declared Tuesday, announcing he was ready to spell out war plans virtually sure to include tens of thousands more U.S. troops.

He is expected to make his case to the nation in a speech next Tuesday night, even as the military completes plans to begin sending in reinforcements in the spring.

Eight years after the Sept. 11 attacks led the U.S. into Afghanistan, Obama said it is still in America's vital national interest to "dismantle and destroy" al-Qaida terrorists and extremist allies. "I intend to finish the job," he said.

Obama said he would announce after Thanksgiving his decision on additional troops, and military, congressional and other sources said the occasion would be a Tuesday night televised speech laying out his plans for expanding the Afghan conflict — and then ultimately ending America's military role.
  2. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

So Obama lied, but I guess he's on board with our geopolitical strategy to keep Afghanistan a chaotic sh*t-hole where our presence can thwart any potential deals between the Middle East, Russia, India, and China.
  3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +242 / 9 / -26

This is a really sucky decision, Happy Thanksgiving to all....
  4. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!
  5. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +793 / 6 / -15

#87 Jersey

I'm speechless ... I hope the left yells strong and long. The right screaming will be useless ... but if some from his base get loud about this ... he will pay come 2012.

Kind of a sidetrack here ... but will he carry the party in 2012? maybe not ... looks like the democrats will be splitting ... the clock is ticking. The gop is apart and soon the democrats will split ... we might end up with a U.K. type election.
  6. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

May I remind everybody that he said he was going to do exactly this prior to the election? It doesn't make it the right policy, but his base supported him knowing full well that this was his policy. So I don't see how it affects his base.

May I also remind everybody that, in spite of what Fox news and the Republican party say, Obama is not a leftist? He is dishearteningly centrist/rightist.
  7. ljuneau

ljuneau Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I'm just glad he finally made a freegin decision. What? Only took him over 100 days?

Meanwhile...

Bob Ainsworth criticises Barack Obama over Afghanistan
  8. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

True, but that doesn't stop it from sucking. The President said he is also throwing in an exit strategy. It will be interesting to see what they came up with. I'd side with a troop increase, which he campaigned on, if there is a way to end this war against a tactic.

The plan he has will...

"ultimately end America's military role"

Guy is makin moves.
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  9. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +793 / 6 / -15

#87 Jersey

... and you were doing so well proving your theories here.
    Obama a centrist/rightist ... :rofl: ... yeah and Bush was a conservative right?

Just saying ... can anyone here tell me exactly what 34,000 more men will accomplish? Unless the rules of engagement change ... it just gives us a few more men to guard the poppy fields.
  10. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +793 / 6 / -15

#87 Jersey

But he already did a troop increase ... 21,000. Also, this increase is going to take a full year to happen. So, let's see ... the Taliban retreat to their cozy houses, playing soccer with their kids. They wait out the surge and meld into society ... striking here and there just to stay in the news. Obama pulls up the stakes - the soccer balls go away and the Taliban surge again.

Not to pick on Obama, he did not create this mess. But this is a country that will take 20-50 years to change at the least. That's assuming they can educate anyone to 5th grade level at least. What a waste of human life ... I'd just bring the boys home now and let the Taliban have that sh!thole of a country. Opium production will go down and who knows - civility could happen - could - maybe - perhaps ... nope, it won't.
  11. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +242 / 9 / -26

But it is important not to destroy them as we want to win the "hearts and minds" of the Afghan people... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

This whole thing is a f..ing joke, what does anyone think that this can accomplish... a whole bunch of Generals with a lot of medals agree...
  12. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +496 / 2 / -9

America Does Not Win Wars Anymore

Where Has The Bush Hating Anti War Movement Gone Where Are The Casket Pictures Troops Are Still Dying
  13. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +793 / 6 / -15

#87 Jersey

This is one of those decisions which reminds me that our President does not always do what's in our best interests and/or what he feels is the right thing to do. I have a really hard time thinking this is really what Obama wants to do. He was elected in part because people saw him as the anti-imperialist President. Many, probably rightfully so did not see that in John McCain and I think that swayed the election.

I'm not saying Obama has imperialist intentions but the war was started with that aim. A way to be closer to Iraq, Iran, and Central Asia. A way to have a military presence in the region. Obama is continuing that objective and I'm disappointed in him because I thought he was above it. Oh well ... his risk of being eliminated just went down. The people running this country will keep him around at least to the end of his term.
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  14. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

This is a great post.

Obama's move shows how much Presidents are just puppets. The real people with power get their way no matter who the puppet is.

I also do agree, even though it's a dark/twisted idea, that Obama probably saved his own life by not challenging the establishment.
  15. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +793 / 6 / -15

#87 Jersey

Yeah ... it's kind of sad and disheartening isn't it. I wonder how many here think this is not really what Obama wanted to do. Perhaps that's why the decision took so so long. At least he set it up (hopefully) to make it easier to get out. Karzai is a wicked corrupt leader - then again - dancing with the devil is how you lead and stay alive there also.
  16. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +242 / 9 / -26

This may have more to do with the power and influence of the Military Industrial Complex than anything else.. it is not about common sense, or what is good for this country he will announce his decision at West Point next week to give it credibility...
  17. MrSparkle

MrSparkle Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I agree, I don't think this is something that he wants. Forget everything else, his decision is not making either side happy. The Left wants him to pull the troops home and the right thinks he's not doing enough. A no win situation.

It's time to bring our boys and girls home.
  18. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Sustaining empire does not require that you win a war, but initiating empire probably does.