Welcome to PatsFans.com

Obama to propose spending freeze

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Stokes, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

on non-military discretionary spending. This is an idea I can get behind, although I'd like to find the numbers for how much its gone up since he took office, in other words if its already increased a large amt. from 2008 to 2010 then a "freeze" just means keeping the increases already implemented.

Still though, this is the kind of sensible, fiscally restrained proposal that I think many can get behind, and I hope Republicans move past saying its not enough (which has been the tone so far), to embracing it and using it to talk about other areas of spending we need to curb.

Looks to me like the Scott Brown victory could be good news for this country beyond just blocking health insurance, if it causes a real Obama move to the center.

edit - link:http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/26/us/politics/26budget.html
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  2. ljuneau

ljuneau Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

The proposal is a complete joke.

It excludes not only military spending, but all non-security spending, inluding the Pentagon, foreign aid, and the budgets for the Veterans Administration and Homeland Security.

It also excludes mandatory spending on Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid. (These three alone account for 59% of all federal spending).

This so-called spending freeze will only save around $10 billion from a budget of $3.5 trillion. Big whoop!

Obviously this is more of a political stunt that does squat to reduce the deficit.
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +346 / 1 / -9

There is only one thing a Politician really cares about, it's not the people, it's not the country, "IT'S HIS JOB"

Scott Brown woke the dirty bastards up.

Obama is covering his a$s, he's closing the barn door after the horses got out.

The damge has already been done, the people are mad, because of Obama/Pelosi/Reid many democrats will lose their beloved jobs this November.

Don't fall for anything Obama says.
  4. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

Total joke they raise spending by ~1.6T pre years and then freeze 10 are the currently inflated 'baseline' for the budget.

Inneffect Barry is promising the current bloated level of spending + hundred of billions 'stopping' 10 B of the planned increases.
  5. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

one step at a time?
  6. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Yeah, I think we embrace this because let's face it, its better than the way it was going before! It does Republicans no good to just laugh it off, they should congratulate Obama and use it as an opportunity to talk about why if $10 billion a year is a necessary savings than a $500 billion healthcare bill is probably not a good idea.
  7. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

Window dressing for political purposes, so he can pretend to care about the budget deficit. This is being done for the SOTU speech, BTW do you actually think this will happen?

This is like claiming to save 2 million jobs when 5 million have been lost.
  8. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I'm not saying that everyone pick him up and carry him around on their shoulders for it, I'm just saying its a step in the right direction and it's something to build on. Face it, Obama isn't going to propose any legislation that conservatives will not find something in it to pick apart. I say go with it now and improve on it when you can.
  9. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +87 / 6 / -10

#37 Jersey

10. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

11. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +346 / 1 / -9

Will Jug Ears think of anyhting else heroic to do before tomorrow night's State Of The Union (president bullsh!t)

Politicians
    Vilest People On Gods Earth.
  12. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

OK this is what I was looking for, I thought this was true but wanted to research it first.

"The federal government’s discretionary domestic spending has grown about 5 percent on average since 1993, according to the administration. It spiked to about 27 percent from 2008 to 2009, however, because of the recession."

Obama to Propose Freeze on Some Spending to Trim Deficit - NYTimes.com

Basically, he's calling for a spending freeze AFTER hiking spending 27%. So if the NYT is right, then it was growing 5% a year. 5% growth over 3 years would be 15%, but he's already increased it 27%, so a "freeze" on spending is still behind where it would have been had things been left alone. Hooray!

edit: Of course if stagflation hits this could turn out to be a good deal! Hooray again!
  13. lostjumper

lostjumper Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

This is like chopping off an arm, and then putting a bandaid on it. Ineffective, and way too late.
  14. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +309 / 4 / -2

Saving even a buck is better than spending one, but this is window dressing, and campaign policy. This is aimed as being able to say "we froze spending".

This reminds me of Free'em All Deval talking about cutting "meat" from the state payrolls (he laid off 1,000 people) last year, cut they were going to trim the deficit. Meanwhile, the reason they were cutting 1,000 people last year, is cuz Coupe had added 2,000 hacks to the rolls in the 2 years prior. LOLOL!
  15. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

16. ljuneau

ljuneau Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

17. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Too little too late. Grandstanding and the kill is, he thinks we're all stupid enough to buy it. He's transparent alright, easy to see right through.

Unfortunately, the joke's on us.

Attached Files:

18. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

If both of these a-holzzzzz flip-flopped....its the 4th horseman
  19. lostjumper

lostjumper Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

20. NEPatriot