Welcome to PatsFans.com

Obama to NAACP: 'We need a new mindset'

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by maverick4, Jul 16, 2009.

1. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Obama marks NAACP's 100th anniversary - CNN.com

[One hundred years after the birth of the NAACP, the civil rights group tonight welcomes the first African-American president. "One of the most durable and destructive legacies of discrimination is the way that we have internalized a sense of limitation," President Obama told the group's annual convention.]

2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +695 / 17 / -19

#24 Jersey

No comment, baby.

3. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +490 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Why even post this if "it doesn't matter" cuz the end of the empire is coming?;)

4. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Actually, I put it up because I wanted to read the (predictable) praise from White conservatives

5. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +490 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

You Troll! :D

6. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

I also wanted to see White conservatives predictably praise that Black CEO in the other thread, so they could trash that senator and make some lame generalizations about liberals or women.

Still though, it will be interesting to see if Obama faces the same backlash that Cosby got for saying the same thing.

7. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +967 / 2 / -9

When it's Springtime in the rockies,
    I'll be coming back to you;
    Little sweetheart of the mountains,
    With your bonnie eyes of blue;

Once again I'll say I love you,
    While the birds sing all the day.
    When it's Springtime in the rockies,
    In the rockies far away.

8. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +695 / 17 / -19

#24 Jersey

I wasn't impressed with what he said. There was too much excuse making in there still. Even if the excuses of barriers and (current) discrimination are true, continually feeling sorry for yourself won't change it.

NO MORE POSTS FROM ME IN THIS THREAD. I BAN MYSELF.

edit :

although I did like this :

"He urged families to help children with their homework, to put away the Xbox and encourage them to be more than "ballers and rappers""

He had some good stuff in there but it was a mixed message to me.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  9. efin98

efin98 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Tame and somewhat uninspiring speech...but it's mesage was one that was positive in nature.

10. State

State In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -8

#70 Jersey

Focusing on discrimination is besides the point when 72% of your community's children are born out-of-wedlock. Look in the mirror, Black America.

Bill Cosby is right.

Obama is stuck in 1970s-era groupthink.

He doesn't acknowledge the full extent of white America's embrace of multiculturalism and acceptance of blacks, such as in surveys on interracial marriage. Just twenty or thirty years ago the overwhelmingly majority of whites were against this.

But there has been a sea change I have yet to see Obama acknowledge.

11. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +204 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

Still he is at least talking about personal responsability to some extent which is something the left often ridicules the right for doing. This country needs a liberal voice to legitimize it I guess.

12. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,753 / 35 / -29

#87 Jersey

No outrage yet ... not surprising really.

13. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

A few things.

There is definitely still extreme racism, discrimination, and prejudice toward Blacks and other people. It is necessary for their political or activist groups to continue fighting or having leverage whenever these incidents happen.

At the same time, efforts should be made internally in those communities to uplift themselves.

14. State

Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -8

#70 Jersey

Yeah, as he caters to the old mindset.

File this under he's not in support of affirmative action for his daughters, against abortion when with the pope, and he says that to win back the Reagan Democrats, esp. in the South, that have defected to Republicans.

It means nothing. It's a politician's lips moving.

Obama is an unusually good liar--even for a politician.

15. State

Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -8

#70 Jersey

Actually, as the often vilified but never refuted book _The Bell Curve_ showed, blacks are represented in the professions at slightly better than one would predict when looking at IQ. Blacks as a group average a standard deviation lower than whites, about 15 IQ points.

Whether that's genetic or cultural or both, it's not about to cease and desist any time soon. (People often overlook that one's nature can influence one's environment, not just the other way round. They mutually reinforce one another, I think, in ways no one understands.)

I came from a family that doesn't read books. But I'm a book worm. Go figure.

This can be a very sensitive subject to bring up. As an example, I think of Michael Levin, a philosophy professor, responding to the charge that there must be racism since only a small percentage (1 or 2%) of college or university professors are black while they constitute 12% of the population. No, he responded, that's about right given the disparities in IQ. Presumably, he argues, a Ph.D. philosophy professor needs at least a 120 IQ, and there are precious few such figures to be found among the black community.

Though Darryl Richard looks as though he could qualify, the Georgia Tech rookie with the highest Wonderlic score among the Pats rookies.

Mav4, you discount how rabid the forces are for affirmative racism (action) that more than counterbalance any potential practices of discriminatory behavior by whites. I think racism is now an overblown concept shopped by the civil rights establishment to keep whites perpetually guilty and blacks perpetually aggrieved, to much harm to our body politic.

If you don't think blacks are promoted based on the accidents of their birth--being black--in both the government and industry, you are willfully blind.

16. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

I agree that tribal IQ predicts a lot of things about success, society, civilization, altruism, crime, etc.

I also still think that there is a lot of inherent racism, discrimination, and prejudice from traditional Whites, and that affirmative action is necessary to counter-act that bigotry.

The real losers from affirmative action are the non-privileged Whites and Asians (more Asians than Whites) who work hard for grades or in work and don't advance as fast because they don't benefit from affirmative action.

One problem I've noticed is that Whites who talk about IQ and complain about affirmative action, don't like the fact that they don't even have the highest average IQ's. It bothers them.

17. State

Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -8

#70 Jersey

I think you're wrong. Do you have examples of Charles Murray being upset as a Caucasian that East-Asiastics average a handful of IQ points higher? Or Jews having a spectacular (apparently) average group IQ?

On the contrary, the non-Jew agnostic Murray wrote about it very respectfully in a well-known Commentary article I think is still available on the Web.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say, Mav4. Racial realists aren't necessarily racial cheerleaders.

Arthur Jensen, J. Philippe Rushton, Charles Murray, Richard Lynn, et al are not white nationalists by any measure whatsoever. They're just people looking at the data, which overwhelmingly speak a reality greatly at odds with conventional thinking put forward by the media, etc.