Welcome to PatsFans.com

Obama & The Governor

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Harry Boy, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,129 / 3 / -10

This is how these things start, the bloggers pick it up then it grows, Obama was right there might be a "Big Change" coming up.

ABC Blogger news:
    Asked what contact he'd had with the governor's office about his replacement in the Senate, President-elect Obama today said "I had no contact with the governor or his office and so we were not, I was not aware of what was happening."

But on November 23, 2008, his senior adviser David Axelrod appeared on Fox News Chicago and said something quite different.

While insisting that the President-elect had not expressed a favorite to replace him, and his inclination was to avoid being a "kingmaker," Axelrod said, "I know he's talked to the governor and there are a whole range of names many of which have surfaced, and I think he has a fondness for a lot of them."
    Political Punch

2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +583 / 22 / -19

Yes, perhaps Obama called him and asked for a cut of the profits.

3. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +49 / 16 / -3

I sincerely doubt that if Obama had talked to Blagojevich he would deny it, since he'd know that it would be easily proven that he's lying. Although the "he misspoke" excuse for what Axelrod said sounds like the typical politician excuse, I think that it's probably what happened. Axelrod is most likely used to answering every question in a way to make it sound like Obama is doing his job to the fullest and is covering everything so when the question arose it was "Obama has spoken to the Governor and talked about the candidates." I also think that when Axelrod said "he has spoken with the governor" in reference to Obama, he means someone who works with Obama has communicated with someone that works with Blagojevich.

I don't think I'm trying to just defend "my guy" here, but even if we were to assume the worst case scenario for Obama it would be that he was offered the senate seat in exchange for X and refused to give in, as Blagojevich's comments indicate. I don't really see his incentive to lie in that scenario.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  4. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,129 / 3 / -10

Barack Hussein Obama says "he's sad" over the Blogyditch bastard.

News Today:
    Saddened? Sobered? Is he kidding?

This, from the guy who championed himself as the very face of ethical reform in Washington?

This, from the great orator who once opined that the rising seas would recede after his election?

This, from the guy who promises to kick the lobbyists out the door and down the street?
    And Obama has about used up his favorite excuse for all his friends in low places - that they were mere acquaintances.

He tried that with the Rev. Jeremiah Wright and wore it out with the unrepentant Chicago terrorist Bill Ayers.

The real problem here is that his home state's government is under siege and the appointment to his old Senate seat is in the hands of a common criminal.

Blagojevich could appoint himself to the Senate tomorrow and start drawing his $170,000 salary from federal taxpayers right away.

And Obama's standing around all sad and sober? This is no time for sadness or sobriety.

He's on the verge of becoming the most powerful man in the free world and his political sway today carries the force of lightning.

It's time for Obama to take charge.
    C'MON, BAM: GET MAD, NOT 'SAD' AT YOUR SLEAZY PAL - New York Post

5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +818 / 27 / -33

Joseph Conrad...

This follows closely free teds conspiracy theory he posted yesterday, if Fitzpatrick would have waited long enough he would have caught Obama also.. but he did not so Obama must be involved

6. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +583 / 22 / -19

The New York Times ran a story today about how Obama helped pass an ethics bill in Illinois that ultimately led to Blagojevich's downfall.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/10/us/politics/10chicago.html?_r=2&hp

In a sequence of events that neatly captures the contradictions of Barack Obama’s rise through Illinois politics, a phone call he made three months ago to urge passage of a state ethics bill indirectly contributed to the downfall of a fellow Democrat he twice supported, Gov. Rod R. Blagojevich.

Mr. Obama placed the call to his political mentor, Emil Jones Jr., president of the Illinois Senate. Mr. Jones was a critic of the legislation, which sought to curb the influence of money in politics, as was Mr. Blagojevich, who had vetoed it. But after the call from Mr. Obama, the Senate overrode the veto, prompting the governor to press state contractors for campaign contributions before the law’s restrictions could take effect on Jan. 1, prosecutors say.

7. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +818 / 27 / -33

Unfortunately hysteria and hyperbole will abound, Obama must be involved he had his picture taken with Blogajevich, he was from Chicago, he spoke to him several times, they had some common political friends... ergo guilty.

8. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Perhaps the biggest celebration in the history of Chicago was at Grant Park this year. Everybody was there..........well, except the Gov. of Illinois. During the DNC, many, many, speeches were given from politicians all over Illinois and the country.........well, except the Gov. of Illinois. During Obama's two years of campaigning, people and politicians from all walks of life stepped forward to publicly give their support in advertisements........well except the Gov. of Illinois. In 30 of the taped conversations by the FBI, Blagojevich is caught red-handed trying to squeeze money from a number of principles........well, except Obama. Get the picture.

9. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,129 / 3 / -10

Governor Bloogyditch

Messiah Obama Said "He's Sad"

Messiah Obama should have said "He's MAD"

10. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

Governor Moe Howards's very own profanity laced words directed at Obama give Obama cover. Hes swearing about how he wont get anything from Obama.

11. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +252 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

Why did his senior advisor say "I know he's talked to the governor and there are a whole range of names many of which have surfaced, and I think he has a fondness for a lot of them." ? Obama denies talking to the governor about it.

I'm not saying there was an intentonal lie from either Axelrod or Obama but imagine the umpteen thinkprogress type articles we'd be reading right now if this was the republican party.

12. scout

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Its common knowledge that this governor has been under investigation well before Obama sought the Presidency. Do you really think Obama, who by all accounts is one smart dude, would have anything to do with this guy?

13. NEPatriot

NEPatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Chicago MOBS are controlling this state.

14. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +252 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

I was just asking why his senior advisor said publically before the sh1t hit the fan that Obama spoke to Governor about who was being considered as his successor. Before all this crap came out yesterday I wouldn't have blinked an eye. It seems that talking to the Governor of his state about it would a completely appropriate conversation. Maybe that's why Axelrod didn't think anything of it when he said that. Maybe he had no idea but it sounded good so he said it.

15. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,129 / 3 / -10

Nixon was just as smart as Obama, so was Billy Blue Dress, look where they wound up.

16. scout

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

I've read a number of books on Nixon, and I wouldn't give him that much credit. Clinton may be smarter then Obama, hard to say at this point. Clinton's mistake was to give in on a special prosecutor concerning a fishing expedition. Depends on your political standing whether you think Clinton's terms were successful or not. Nixon, not so much. Clinton, two productive terms with fiscal greatness, with a blemish for his sexual conduct.

17. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,129 / 3 / -10

Clintons mistake was "Lying To A Grand Jury" you and I would have gone to jail if we did it.

18. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +818 / 27 / -33

Profound, well thought out.. intelligent..

19. scout

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Me and you and practically everyone here will never have the benefits of a politician. In regards to lying to a Grand Jury, I don't see any difference between that jury and being sworn in to uphold the highest office.

20. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,129 / 3 / -10

The Left Wing MSM won't be able to brush this one off, FOX News, Internet, Talk Radio, Bloggers they will all steamroll right over the NY Times, NBC Mush Mouth Matthews and all the rest of the Obama Groupies.

This one will grow into another Watergate and Billy's Blow Job, they have already stopped talking about the Birth Certificate..

It's comical to watch all the "sad faces" on The Obama Channel, MSNBC, Andrea Snake Face Mitchell looked like she was going to Vomit while talking about "Obama Land".