Welcome to PatsFans.com

Obama talks economy market up 248!!!!

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsFanInVa, Nov 7, 2008.

1. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +344 / 6 / -8

Uh, sort of on a par with "market down at the same time as Obama elected, Obama "causes" market drop."

Duh.
  2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +299 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

I get your sarcasm but it was up that much before the guy opened his mouth. Obama actually prevented a large rally by punting when asked if he was still going to raise investment taxes.
  3. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +307 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

Actually, that "mutt" comment blew any chance of getting to +300 today. ;)

But, had he thrown in a few more "seance" quotes, we might have ended negative for the day! :D

Hopefully, he shows up on Monday wearing a purple tie - - that's always good for the NASDAQ!

I'm glad PFiV gets the joke, but I'm afraid others don't. It's amazing how many folks here believe in day (or hour)-trading. Just buy lottery tickets, folks.
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  4. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +299 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Unfortunately he looked about as lost up there as I expected. I do think there's a decent chance he'll be a good delegator but I don't have much hope for him individually.
  5. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +199 / 3 / -10

Never has a US president come into office with as many "negative issues" going on in this country as Obama. Can you name a time of more turmoil (domestic & international) than at this very moment in time?

Even CNN which typically has a hard time even admitting we're in a recession talked about "depression" tonight on Lou Dobbs. It would be overwhelming for anyone but I believe he is bright enough to get a grasp on most issues by the time he takes office.

He's not supposed to sound like he has a handle on much at this point. Wouldn't you agree?
  6. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +299 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

He's better sound like he can handle A LOT if this is as difficult a time as you say; which we all agree with I assume. I can't imagine why he wouldn't sound like it - he has less than 80 days and he's been preparing for this for about 2 years.
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  7. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +199 / 3 / -10

I didn't say he couldn't "handle" much, I said at this point, he's not supposed to "have a handle" on everything...as in be in command of all the issues. At this point they know what their objectives are but if someone is going to ask what is your strategy on x, y & z...then it's going to be uncomfortable because he's not going to have every stategy mapped out today.

That was my point. As you know, it isn't the president who comes up with economic policy. It will be his economic team that will develop the plan.
  8. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +299 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Some Presidents have the intellectual capacity to fully grasp all the issues. For all his faults, Clinton was one of them. Other Presidents are good at delegating as you describe. W was neither as it turned out. I am convinced Obama doesn't have the intellectual capacity of Clinton; it's quite clear to me based on the generalities and non answers he talks in. He may be a great leader and deletater - I sure hope so.
  9. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +199 / 3 / -10

I can only comment on my impression of Obama. And from what I've seen, he appears to be incredibly intelligent. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Once again, he's supposed to give "non-answers" at this point in time. I mean if his team hasn't come up with an answer, then we're not going to get an answer.

At this point, you & I have witnessed exactly ONE update from the president elect. There are no conclusions or impressions we can draw from one press meeting. It could be that he's being very slick, or keeping his cards in check or that he's not as bright as some may have thought.
  10. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +299 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

As you said, we'll see. He never impressed me during the campaign - umms and ahhs don't mean your genius mind is spinning to me - and he was underwhelming today. He looked young and inexperienced for the job; hmmm, I wonder why that could be.
  11. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +199 / 3 / -10

Alas BF, you are one of the ones Obama spoke to when he said, "to those whose respect I have yet to earn..."
  12. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +344 / 6 / -8

Too many people musta clicked the Obama website and given him "disapprove" reputation points...
  13. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +24 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

Speaking of reputation I saw, and was happy to see you had TWO, yes (2) Green squares. You deserved them, that was yesterday today you've gone back to one. So,what happened? :confused:
  14. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 4 / -2

How about George Bush? 9/11, recession, and a stock market crash. I'd say GW had a lot on his plate in 2001.
  15. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +24 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

RW IMO 9/11 Made "W", if it weren't for that he would have served one undistinguished term. He took 9/11 and ran with it using it as a pretext to do what ever he felt. I should say Cheney got to do what ever he wanted.
  16. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 4 / -2

We simply don't know that flex. 9/11 changed everything. Not just here at home either, but throughout the world. We don't know what would have transpired had 9/11 never happened. A recession would have, that we know.
  17. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +357 / 1 / -9

Bush was accused of creating Hurricane's.
    Obama will be blessed for creating Sunshine.

Oh Holy Obama Bless Thee.
  18. shmessy

Ratings:
    +307 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

If he has 80% of Clinton's intellectual capability but can "keep it in his pants", he'll be our greatest President.
  19. shmessy

Ratings:
    +307 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

RW, 9/11 was the best thing (POLITICALLY, POLITICALLY - - so hold the angry responses) to happen to W. Bush.

The immediate reaction described by Richard Clarke, etc. regarding the plans already drawn up vis a vis Iraq on 9/12 show conclusively that Iraq was going to happen no matter what if the Bush Administration had its chance. 9/11 gave them their chance.

Without 9/11, Bush would have been a one-term and less harmful President. Just my opinion.
  20. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +199 / 3 / -10

9/11 ocurred a year AFTER he came into office, so he wasn't exactly preparing for that...unless he actually planned it:eek:...just kidding RW

And the "recession" wasn't exactly the biggest thing on American's minds at the time. After all, housing had been doing extremely well for about 4 years by 2000 when he came into office.

Obama is walking into;

Iraq
    Afghanistan(Pakistan) (No wars for Bush)
    Biggest Financial Crisis in History
    Second worst recession that may end up a depression
    The Worst housing trend in US history that is declining with no end in sight
    An auto industry that is dying (Bush had SUV's booming)
    Unemployment that looks to be approaching 10% by the end of 2009