Welcome to PatsFans.com

Obama sure is fixing this employment problem

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by BelichickFan, Jan 12, 2010.

1. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -9

#24 Jersey

Many Firms Reluctant to Hire Because of New Taxes, Regulation - CNBC

"A potential wave of new regulation and higher taxes may be scaring many businesses from hiring, prolonging any rebound in employment, say business groups and economists.

The prospect of increased federal and state regulation and taxes has been particularly disruptive to the hiring plans of small- and medium-sized businesses, which have historically generated about two-thirds of the nation’s jobs."

Yeah, tax them rich bastards. Of course, unemployment will keep going up - or at best stabilize around 10% - but we'll have screwed the rich.

:bricks:
  2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Only if we would cut taxes, and outsource jobs to lower paying nations....THEN we would see a boost in....

wait...You mean to tell me thats how we got in this mess in the first place?...Oh...

I'm still waiting for the conservative solution to increasing jobs in america. It aint cutting taxes, and it aint outsourcing...Dont give me the "Small Buisness" crap either...none of these "small buisnesses" can afford to run AND provide healthcare.

I'm not blaming all of this on Bush, or conservativism in general. NAFTA and Clinton have a ton to do with this. Its just all the whining and B!tching about the economy, without offering up solutions that p!$$ez me the fukc off.

BF, since you shot off the thread, what are your solutions to create jobs?

We need to crteate products in america, and produce things besides weapons. Guns, bombs, and war is our only export. We need to build back up the middle class by blue collar manufacturing jobs at HOME. We need to rethink our trade laws, and make them fair for america and americans. More jobs means more taxes and that creates create more revenue for our country.
  3. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -9

#24 Jersey

This was a "bash obama" thread. Not a "propose solutions of my own" thread.

:)

Two responses :

1) My point wasn't so much that there's a great solution, more that obama is making things worse. Maybe employment would be struggling anyway. But the article I linked suggests that if he did nothing and stayed out of the way it would be less bad.

2) Yes, cutting corporate taxes would help. I have also suggested a massive "alternative energy" project to find good solutions. Not because I believe in MMCC but because creating energy here would create about a trillion jobs (well, not a trillion but "illions" beginning with M or B don't count in the USoo).

bonus 3) I agree with you that we need to make more stuff here but punishing businesses isn't the way to do it.
  4. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Ha!

I think we also have to look at the inherited situation Obama was handed. Bush and Co. left the guy 2 wars, a failing economy, shrinking middle class, massive forclosures, a profit seeking health insurance industry, and massive budget deficit.

I've said all along that we need a manhattan project for new energy and or transportation. THAT will bring our nation back to the top. But I don't see those wheels spinning right now either.

We can all at least sleep better at night knowing those AIG big wigs all got their bonuses.

That should be trickling down anyday now....
  5. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -9

#24 Jersey

Right but, again, the article isn't saying obama is at fault for everything and things would be great without him - but it is saying that his policies are making what was probably already a bad situation even worse.

I'm with you on that. We could have created tens of thousands of jobs, both blue and white collar, through the stimulus for this and, likely, generated long term jobs and prosperity that way.
  6. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

Although this recession is worse than the one Reagan inherited, Obama's policies appears to have stanched the unemployment rate at 10.3%, while under Reagan's lesser recession unemployment rose to 10.8%. Of course, it's still too early to tell, but so far liberalism appears to be more effective at battling the recession that conservatism, but that's not a surprise. Fact is, conservative economic policies are responsible for the greatest economic crises in the history of our nation.
  7. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

C'mon, BF, you can read better than that.

The article states that it is the FEAR of what MIGHT happen that is making small businessmen glum.

You're out there writing that it is a fait accompli.

Yes, BF, Rush, Savage, beck, etc. have been very effective at scaring their listeners about the "boogeyman".

Say the lie enough times and people simply believe it.
  8. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -9

#24 Jersey

It is the fear of obama's policies. The whole point is that without those policies - had he done nothing - the fear would be less and the hiring would be greater.
  9. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +297 / 1 / -9

We don't hear to much about Obama's Glorious Speeches anymore is all that dopey crap finally dying off.

Where Is Pant Suit Hillary.............:confused:
  10. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -9

#24 Jersey

It'll take a couple of years to see how GDP emerges out of this compared to Reagan. Most think growth will be sluggish compared to the usual explosive GDP growth coming out of bad recessions. But it will be a year or maybe two until we have a conclusive answer on that. To try to draw a conclusion now, in either direction, is foolish.

Regarding the part I bolded, if it's too early to tell why are you drawing conclusions and bashing conservatives based on that ill gotten conclusion ???
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  11. Patters

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

Well, you're bashing Obama's policies, and I'm simply pointing out that using at least one metric (unemployment), Obama's policies are working. In addition, the market upturn I think is happening a little faster under Obama compared to Reagan. Sure, we're still struggling, and things could get worse, but so far so good.
  12. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -9

#24 Jersey

No, I was quoting someone who was bashing his policies.
  13. Patters

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

I don't think this part of your post was a quote:

"Yeah, tax them rich bastards. Of course, unemployment will keep going up - or at best stabilize around 10% - but we'll have screwed the rich."
  14. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -9

#24 Jersey

OK, I editorialized a little ;)
  15. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +477 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

Barry buries her whenever he is dropping in the polls ... her and windbag.

Seeing how he is still dropping they are out of the picture for now.
  16. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +114 / 7 / -10

What criteria are you using to define this situation as worse than the one Reagan inherited?
  17. ljuneau

ljuneau Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Great article out today from The Hill:

U.S. Chamber warns of 'double-dip' recession because of Dem policies

Funny, they don't blame a possible double-dip recession on Bush policies, but on current administration's liberal economic policies.

18. alvinnf

alvinnf Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Patters you do realize when the markets tanked last Nov. The was 3 trillion dollars sitting on the sidelines waiting for re-entry at bargain prices. Not even remotely the same situation Reagan was dealing with. Corporate America has been given the perfect scenerio to streamline their operations and operate tighter to the vest. Don't expect jobs to rally any time soon. The only thing we are all waiting for is massive inflation, but don't worry it's coming.....
  19. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +151 / 1 / -10

It's not OUR responsibility to figure out how to create jobs. But we won't/can't create jobs until demand starts to increase. The only way demand can increase is if disposable income increases....and that can't/won't happen until consumer debt is reduced.

All of the above will take time. If anyone here has hopes or expectations that this can be corrected quickly, you're dreaming. The other factor we have to consider is that the longer this recession lasts, the greater the long-term impact it will have upon consumer spending habits.

In other words, expect Americans to be very frugal for a long, long time. Even after consumers pay down their debt, they are going to be very careful with how they spend their money...and that is a good thing for America.

If you're working, be grateful AND save!
  20. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +151 / 1 / -10

Actually, don't expect massive inflation at all. See my previous post. Keep in mind that the REAL money supply is actually contracting, NOT expanding. And if you really want to understand why massive inflation won't happen, then read this article....

"Money Multiplier Theory Is Wrong

The above hypotheses regarding "Excess Reserves" are wrong for five reasons.

1) Lending comes first and what little reserves there are (if any) come later.
    2) There really are no excess reserves.
    3) Not only are there no excess reserves, there are essentially no reserves to speak of at all. Indeed, bank reserves are completely "fictional".
    4) Banks are capital constrained not reserve constrained.
    5) Banks aren't lending because there are few credit worthy borrowers worth the risk."

Mish's Global Economic Trend Analysis: Fictional Reserve Lending And The Myth Of Excess Reserves