Welcome to PatsFans.com

Obama scraps visit to wounded troops

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, Jul 24, 2008.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +619 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

Wow ... those Rasmussen numbers will be going down real soon.

I smell a flameout .... where's my girl Hillary ... :p

The democrats were stupid to support this charlatan.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D924E4KO0&show_article=1

Seems like BHO didn't have the nerve to visit those whose he has disrespected. Over 90% of our military want to finish the job ... it is the right thing to do ... especially for the injured and the deceased brothers and sisters they all fight for.

2. ljuneau

ljuneau Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I don't know what is more insulting to the troups - deciding to work out at the Ritz instead of visiting our soldiers or his excuse. Obama's arrogance grows every day.
  3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

You people are frickin AMAZING!!!!

Yeah, photo ops are more important in your mind than supporting the GI bill....

Obama said, "I respect Sen. John McCain's service to our country ... But I can't understand why he would line up behind the President in his opposition to this GI Bill. I can't believe why he believes it is too generous to our veterans."

In response, McCain released a harsh -- and lengthy -- statement. "It is typical, but no less offensive, that Senator Obama uses the Senate floor to take cheap shots at an opponent and easy advantage of an issue he has less than zero understanding of," McCain said. "Unlike Senator Obama, my admiration, respect and deep gratitude for America's veterans is something more than a convenient campaign pledge."

I guess you grab for anything when your ship is sinking....
  4. ljuneau

ljuneau Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Who said it had to be a photo op? He could have let his media fans take the day off while he visited our US service men and women. Obviously Obama had more important things to do.

How you tied this to the GI bill, I have no idea.
  5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I tied this to the GI bill when you brought up 'insulting the troops'...

Whats more insulting in your mind, an unscheduled event that some may see as playing politics with wounded troops....OR not showing up to vote on the GI bill?

If you were a wounded vet, what would you want your president tpo support:

a picture with you ?

an education and benefits for you ?
  6. ljuneau

ljuneau Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

That's an easy one. The reason he didn't like the GI Bill was because it was loaded with unrelated pork - things that had nothing to do with veteran's benefits. McCain has stated firmly that he would, as president, veto any bills that had unnecessary pork attached to them. I have to support McCain on hid decision, I'm so tired of Congress wasting our money on pet projects.

It's nice to know McCain has a spine. Although on face value it appeared he was "against benefits for our troops", he actually disagreed with all the waste attached with the bill. Cut the fat and he would support it.
  7. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

ljuneau,

If unrelated pork was the reasoning that you accept this...then NO BILL should ever pass, they all have frickin pork in 'em.

And McCain having a 'spine' ...? really? you are joking with me......right?

all you need to do is use "the google"

* McCain used to oppose Bush’s tax cuts for the very wealthy, but he reversed course in February.

* In 2000, McCain accused Texas businessmen Sam and Charles Wyly of being corrupt, spending “dirty money” to help finance Bush’s presidential campaign. McCain not only filed a complaint against the Wylys for allegedly violating campaign finance law, he also lashed out at them publicly. In April, McCain reached out to the Wylys for support.

* McCain supported a major campaign-finance reform measure that bore his name. In June, he abandoned his own legislation.

* McCain used to think that Grover Norquist was a crook and a corrupt shill for dictators. Then McCain got serious about running for president and began to reconcile with Norquist.

* McCain took a firm line in opposition to torture, and then caved to White House demands.

* McCain gave up on his signature policy issue, campaign-finance reform, and won’t back the same provision he sponsored just a couple of years ago.

* McCain was against presidential candidates campaigning at Bob Jones University before he was for it.

* McCain was anti-ethanol. Now he’s pro-ethanol.

* McCain was both for and against state promotion of the Confederate flag.

* And now he’s both for and against overturning Roe v. Wade.

what is your definition of 'having a spine'?

http://www.thecarpetbaggerreport.com/archives/9111.html
  8. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Looks like the Pentagon was concerned about this visit looking 'political'...

and you peeps have been mind controled by the conservative bloggers with talking points and bull$h!z....

www.cnn.com

The Illinois senator had planned on visiting a U.S. military hospital in Landstuhl, Germany — currently housing American troops injured in Iraq. The visit was expected to come after Obama's speech in Berlin. But the campaign suddenly announced Thursday the stop had been canceled, saying then Obama had determined it would be "inappropriate."

But speaking to reporters Friday, Senior Obama adviser Robert Gibbs said Ret. Major Gen. Scott Gration, currently a policy adviser to the campaign, received a call from Pentagon officials earlier in the week who expressed concern with the trip — specifically because Obama was heading there on his campaign plane and campaign staff would be accompanying him on the visit.

After speaking with Gration, the campaign decided to cancel the trip. Gibbs said Obama is "comfortable with the decision" because he did not want to make the troops part of a campaign event.

But the decision to cancel the event drew widespread criticisms from conservative blogs and the McCain campaign.

"It is never ‘inappropriate’ to visit our men and women in the military," McCain spokesman Brian Rogers said.

Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman told reporters later Friday the Pentagon did not explicitly say Obama should not visit the base, but was concerned with whether his capacity there would be one of a presidential candidate, not a senator.
  9. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +619 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

All Obama had to do was leave his staff behind ...
    an easy decision to make and one that he did not make.

Why would he not want to leave his staff behind?
    Because they protect everything he does and says.
    If he goes outside of his staff he will lose support from the big donors ... it's easy to see.
    Those big donors ties John Kerry's hands also. Being the democratic candidate
    for POTUS comes with many strings attached ...
    They blew the Kerry campaign and they may still well blow this one with their protectionism ways.