Welcome to PatsFans.com

Obama says "same-sex couples should be able to get married"

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, May 9, 2012.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +150 / 3 / -19

Good move, compare to Romney who hired Grenell, then Bryan Fischer and his krewe of extreme christian right wingers who objected to that hiring, so Romney bowed.. then Fischer went on the airwaves complaining about how weak Romney was and if he bowed to him, how willl he stand up to Putin.
  3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +141 / 1 / -4

Pretty brave move by Obama especially after North Carolina resoundingly embraced its bigoted roots and turned marriage into a special right owned solely by male/female couples.
  4. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yup. Every time gay marriage comes up for a vote it loses. Now Obama has to pander to one part of his party, potentially angering another. Just another nail in his coffin.
  5. patsinthesnow

patsinthesnow PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +123 / 7 / -0

#87 Jersey

I applaud Obama for coming out in favor of civil liberties and human rights on a controversial issue.

Politically, it does two things. It'll rally liberals to be less ambivalent, and he pissed off anyone socially conservative, republican or democrat.
  6. Patters

Ratings:
    +141 / 1 / -4

Probably not. Anyone who is a single voter issue opposing gay marriage almost surely did not vote for Obama in the first place. I think the big obstacles for proponents of gay marriage is the fact that religious bigots are far more invested in the issue than are moderates, who don't seem to turn out to vote on the issue in large enough numbers to defeat the pinheads.
  7. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

North Carolina went for Obama... as did Virginia I think???
  8. Patters

Ratings:
    +141 / 1 / -4

Well, yeah, that's why he was brave, but I think when it comes to the general election, there will be a larger turnout and at least some of the people who oppose gay marriage will still vote for Obama because they support whatever--healthcare, social security, immigration reform, etc.
    Last edited: May 9, 2012
  9. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Brave? No, brave would have been endorsing it before he thought it was politically safe to do so. I think this is a calculated move.

I think he's been walking a tightrope with this for years and I think he was just trying to play both sides of the middle. The fact is he's been under pressure to let his actions do the talking for some time.

The last part is what I mean. I think this is the realization he's come to. He can finally get away with it. Cynical? Yeah but there were a lot of us out there that have been critical of his punting the past several years. In any event, his endorsement whether it was a brave one or not is a step forward for gay rights.
  10. jcdavey

jcdavey Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

wow a president who believes in actual freedom, as opposed to the borg-like republicans who want to turn everyone christian lol
  11. jcdavey

jcdavey Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

personally i think he's going to rip romney a new ******* in the debates anyway and leave him a floundering pandering mess of a person
  12. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

If he's brave now, then does that make him a wuss before, or simply the usual political BS'er?

I just wish people would take positions they genuinely believe in, when it's not politically advantageous for them to do so. To me, that would be brave.

I don't think anyone is surprised that he feels this way. I'm not, that's for sure. I find one of the more unfortunate things about politics, is that it forces people to have a position on issues that they either a) don't really care about one way or the other, or b) are best left to the general public to decide. Good for him for "coming out of the closet" so to speak (cheesy pun I know :D ), but please don't think "bravery" has anything to do with it. His revelation is entirely due to what's currently beneficial politically. That's the kind of change you can believe in. That is, politicians changing views, when election time rolls around.
  13. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

If I were Obama's adviser, I would be begging him to never mention this subject again until after November.
  14. jcdavey

jcdavey Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

well we know politics is basically bull**** anyway

but at least he's on the logical side of all of this

in the end, do you want to be free, or do you want everyone to be assimilated

that's not what the US was built on

not saying the US is good , i mean they were fleeing persecution, and turned into some of the top persecuting pieces of **** in the universe.....but , in the end, it's about freedom, or at least it should be
  15. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

I did not have sexual relations with that woman. :singing:

This is typical political expediency. That's it. I mean, I think he has been for it all along, and only said he wasn't when it wasn't political to do so. Now he's comes back to it to rejuvenate his base. I've no problem with his position (I'm actually for it to - yeah, even as a conservative), but the bottom line. Pick a position and stick with it. Have some CONVICTION, any at all will do.
  16. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +475 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

anyone who believes in our Constitution should also believe it's about time Obama and everyone else gets on board ... we are supposed to be created as equals. I have no problem with religious people not believing in it or believing in it ... either way they have a right to their doctrine on religious grounds. I do have a problem with my government thinking some people are less equal than others.
    Last edited: May 9, 2012
  17. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

See... I always thought marriage was kind of a protected class. Man and woman coming together for the purpose of making a family. I still think that's the purpose. If it isn't, the state shouldn't have any part of it. Power of attorney/healthcare rights for all -- no additional tax breaks (discriminatory to single people) -- employers can decide who gets covered on their healthcare policies (and people can choose not to work there) -- and "marriage" is only a religious ceremoney.
  18. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Agree with the red. You're certainly entitled to have your personal opinions as long as you're not in any position to affect the lives of other Americans. Strongly disagree with your last point, unless you remove tax advantages granted to employers for offering coverage to who they pick and choose to employ. It flies in the face of the CRA. Do you think a company should be able to refuse a job to a person because of race?
  19. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

How is homosexuality anything like race?
  20. Patters

Ratings:
    +141 / 1 / -4

Like race, homosexuality is not a choice. I very much doubt that your dad chose to be attracted to women.

As far as your other point, marriage may once have been about family, but for many generations, elderly people, people who cannot have children, people who did want children, and people who had other motives to marry (for money or fame) got married. That said, I think many of us agree that ideally marriage rules should belong to the individual church, and not be something the state is involved in.