Welcome to PatsFans.com

Obama - Rolling Stone Interview

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, Sep 28, 2010.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,153 / 13 / -27

#87 Jersey

Good read for what it's worth ... lots of softball questions but usually the Rolling Stone does a decent job on these overall.

Obama in Command: The Rolling Stone Interview | Rolling Stone Politics

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +580 / 6 / -2

This guy just doesn't get it. Alot of politicians don't. Not that I expect he, or they, would anyway. Which is a big part of what the Tea Party is about.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +430 / 12 / -26

That comment is not all that far off, he could have been a whole lot more critical... overall seemed pretty middle of the road.

The reality is that all these folks were silent for a very long time, and suffered through comparable, if not greater perceptions of abuse previously.. what fueled their rage at this date and time?? They were silent about the Iraq lies. They were silent about how the deficit has been growing for a while now. They were silent as government was growing exponentially in the past. Now all of a sudden they are making noise, the timing is interesting and coincidental.

4. khayos

khayos In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Middle of the road??? This guy is supposed to be the President of us all, not the Chief Mobilizer of the Left Wing Base. He constantly alienates his political opponents the likes I have never seen a President do this consistently since attaining office.

5. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +275 / 3 / -3

You weren't around for Bush II?

---------------

khayos and RW, what do you think is wring with his description of the tea party? (I had a couple issues with it but I'm curious what, specifically, you thought was wrong)

6. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

In a weird twist, I'm going to disagree with khayos and RW. I think that this is a pretty good characterization of the Tea Party. There are likely some rabid anti-immigration people see the Tea Party as a way to advance their cause, there are probably some social conservatives who see this as a movement against the immoral zeitgeist of Washington (and I would disagree that their anger is misplaced), and I know there's a lot of libertarians who associate themselves with it. I think he was being a bit diplomatic, but I didn't really see anything unfair in his description.

I think that there's a variation of reasons that people are identifying themselves with the Tea Party, but it all comes back to their dissatisfaction with Washington. That could be what Obama is missing. The bailouts and the economic recession really kicked up a frustration among a lot of the populace. It started with Bush's support for a bailout too... I clearly remember a lot of folks (including conservative ones) being livid at the thought his purposed legislation.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +430 / 12 / -26

Is the right so blind that they cannot see... trying rereading it with neutral intelligent eyes..

8. Real World

Ratings:
    +580 / 6 / -2

While there are all kinds of elements in the Tea Party, as their are in any broad based "party", he makes it sound as if everyone in it, is some lunatic, is misinformed, or a "they'd hate me anyway" person. He just doesn't get it.

This from the guy who was supposed to be the "post-partisan" president. He comes off as pety in my opinion. I'm not surprised anyway. The guy is in way over his head. He doesn't know how to respond to people, when they don't buy what it is he's been selling.

9. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +275 / 3 / -3

His comments didn't come off to me that way. But you quoted one of the statements that I agree with you about: "...but their anger is misdirected..."

10. Real World

Ratings:
    +580 / 6 / -2

Why would they? Your a supporter of his.

11. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +275 / 3 / -3

Actually I'm not. I voted for him but didn't like a lot of what he stands for and have been disappointed by him on the rest.

But why would they? I don't know, why did I have a problem with the part you quoted?

12. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I'm glad to see he's still punching considering he's gotten nothing but a big ol' middle finger from the Republicans and not much more than tepid support from the Democrats.

The recession will be in the rear view mirror by 2012 and the Republicans doing nothing but saying no to everything won't have had anything to do with it going away. That'll be the lasting memory of this time period. Him trying to find middle ground and the Republicans saying F You.