Welcome to PatsFans.com

Obama refuses help cleaning up Gulf Why?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by patsfan13, Jun 11, 2010.

1. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +161 / 7 / -13

Placating the Unions What is going on here?
    To Save the Gulf, Send the Jones Act to Davy Jones? Locker | The Foundry: Conservative Policy News.

from Barry's last news conference question from Jake Tapper.

2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +189 / 4 / -6

You linked to an interesting article about the obstacles created by the Jones Act. Since the Act has been around since the 1920s, I assume it must have some value. The article implies the Jones Act is an obstacle to getting more help, and somehow I bet that neither party will want to touch it in an election year:

Jones Act of 1920 Merchant Marine Act BP Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill | CNM News Network

Jones Act of 1920 Barring BP Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill 2010 Cleanup. The Jones Act of 1920 is formally named the Merchant Marine act of 1920 and it’s becoming something that is being talked about in the wake of the Gulf oil spill. The Act requires that ships that do business within the US be staffed with at least 75% American Citizens. In addition, ships that operate within the US have heavy restrictions placed on foreign manufacture.
  3. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +201 / 2 / -2

I wouldn't count on that. I have a feeling that many laws that are now obsolete and either moot or counterproductive probably remain on the books.
  4. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

5. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

6. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +883 / 6 / -16

#87 Jersey

He'll just knock off qaeda #4 or #3 next week to counter the negative publicity.
    He'll kill a few women and children in the process but Axelrod and the loons will applaud him.
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  7. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Until they pop up alive a month later....
  8. pherein

pherein Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

This cant be true. I will not believe a person can be this cruel unless I have allot of more proof, and I mean allot. He would know how much we need these things now.

especially now, because the live feed has died, and some believe the ROV RISER CAP Failed and the well is now out of control again, as of 06-11 around 10:30. If true they would need to machine build a new one.

YouTube - BP Gulf Oil Spill Live Feed 06-11-2010 10:53A DAY 53 ROV RISER CAP ROCKS COMING OFF LMRP

YouTube - BP Gulf Oil Spill Live Feed 06-11-2010 11:03A RISER TOP CAP MOVING AROUND ON LMRP

YouTube - BP Gulf Oil Spill Live Feed 06-11-2010 11:20A ROV OMG! What Have They Done? Huge Plumes Now

YouTube - BP Gulf Oil Spill Live Feed 06-11-2010 11:49A NOW IT IS LEAKING MORE RISER TOP CAP FAIL

And its possible the pipe is broken below the seabed
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp7rC6h77Ds

and there is a press problem
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffFhjpsgNVo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBPIPWqOziw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G7l7Sxb0V4
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  9. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +883 / 6 / -16

#87 Jersey

You cap them twice ... double the PR mileage.
  10. pherein

pherein Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Bump..because I want people aware of the press problem we are having here. You need to see more to make an educated opinion.
  11. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -26

This article may be more telling than speculation or blogs... or something sounds to good to be true, it usually is.

25,000 people working in response to Gulf of Mexico oil spill may not be enough, Adm. Thad Allen says | NOLA.com

12. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +546 / 2 / -9

The man is becoming dangerous for his own country he has no idea of what the hell he is doing, the job is way to big for him and on top of that he has never had any use for America, remember this, I said the day he was nominated that he would be Impeached.

The people and The Obama Media have their "Poster Boy" now we all pay the price.
  13. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +437 / 6 / -9

Sort of says it all there Hboy

so to recap - no pun intended - Obama is accepting foreign offers of aid; Jones Act does not appear to be an obstacle; waivers are available if it is an obstacle; thread is moot; and you guys have wanted to impeach since before the election.

I have an idea guys - next time win the vote like the pubbies did in 04 (the one time they've managed that since 92, if winning means getting more people to vote for you.)

there are now pubbies oil shills in the senate saying there is no disaster, and we are all clear now that the grand orgy party's Church of Deregulation promotes a false God - first on wall street, now this.

One more thing... In GOP land it was so hugely important to "defund ACORN" that they actually passed a law that blacklisted that group from doing biz w/ the US govt. BP does thousands of times more biz w/ the gubmit... Where's the Defund BP act?

You've got to be an idiot to keep searching for more spurious "gubmit's not doing enough" tripe now, if you've been screaming to deregulate these high risk industries for decades
  14. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -26

The same place that the Defund Haliburton, or Defund Xe(formerlly Blackwater) is... in some liberatarian's imagination.
  15. PatsFanInMaine

PatsFanInMaine Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

16. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +437 / 6 / -9

Lmao Darryl... "libertarians" are tripping over each other that gubmit hasn't done enough to clean up BP's mess
  17. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -26

Liberatarians and opportunists with their daily faux outrageous outrage of the day..

The reality is that there is nothing interfering with the Jones Act.. except in some bloggers mind..

There are dudes and dudettes on their mother's basement, scouring obscure statutes looking for that famous gotcha moment.. then all the lemmings just fall into lockstep.. with the mantra.. "Obama bad".."Obama does not have a clue".. "Obama does not have any executive experience" "Obama is not a citizen".. all talking points with little or nor substance.
  18. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +173 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

In case it has not been noticed there is millions of gallons of oil floating round the gulf waiting to find a home on some shore. How can anyone left or right defend the lack of urgency being show by this government?

Waive all the friggin rules and get this cleaned up. Screw the politics, get the job done. There will be time for law suits and political chest thumping later.

I just don't understand the reluctance to waive the reg's and rules by executive order. It just so happens that Obama is the President right now. I'd be yelling the same thing if McCain was president and was acting as timid as Obama.
  19. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +546 / 2 / -9

I said when this first started that it should be fought with all the power this govt has, drop everything, forget the petty political squabbles, this Oil Leak should be fought as a WAR, I don't understand those filthy politician vermin, during their closed door sneaky healthcare bullsh!t they were all over the news spitting grinning and calling each other names telling us the world would ened if their garbage didn't pass, now a Major Disaster is in the works, President Dumbo went golfing, Skanky Pelosi went to the Opera, the Obama Media spends most ot their time trying to destroy Sarh Palin and that f-cking moron Windbag Biden is on the other side of the world watching a god damn ball game, who do we have fighting the oil leak, The Same Bastards That Are Responsible For It.

GOD DAMN YOU OBAMA TAKE OVER YOU FRIGGIN JERK
  20. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -26

As Thad Allen said, no one has asked for it and if they did they would get it.. not all that difficult to understand.. BP should be initiating this stuff..

No one is minimizing this whole thing or the impact, the premise of this thread was maybe the reason for something was the Jones act.. and that was shot down..

Unfortunately the right does not seem to understand this.. and wants to do the blame game thing..