Welcome to PatsFans.com

Obama Plays Basketball While The Gulf Burns

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Wolfpack, May 30, 2010.

1. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Obama plays basketball while the Gulf burns.

[​IMG]

President Barack Obama waves after playing basketball at the University of Chicago Laboratory School on Saturday, May 29, 2010 in Chicago. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)

[​IMG]
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

What are the presidents and ceo's of BP, Haliburton or Transoceana doing this weekend.. ????
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +356 / 1 / -9

He wouldn't even have gone to the Gulf if there wasn't so much criticism of him in the media..
  4. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I have no idea, but are any of them elected leaders of the United States of America? Do any of them hold the highest office in our land? No? Then your analogy is EPIC FAIL.

Nice try though. :rofl: :rofl:
  5. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

+1. He was shamed into going, so he went with his tail tucked firmly between his legs to give a token speech. If this happened during the Bush administration, and the government response was just as lackadaisical, there would be a non-stop barrage of constant criticism from the left, the media, the late night comedians, etc, etc, etc.

But with Obama, it's pretty much just a free pass ticket to ChiTown for a little R&R! I sure hope he didn't break a sweat during his basketball game!
  6. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,037 / 25 / -46

No Jersey Selected

I'm really not sure what more Obama is supposed to do here. I'm sure he's had meeting after meeting about it to try to find better ways to plug the hole. But, really, I thought the criticism leveled at Bush for Katrina was ridiculous and this is no different. What should Obama do? Throw on a pair of trunks and swim to the bottom of the ocean with a torch?
  7. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Ah, but the problem is there has been virtually no criticism of Obama for this incident. He has gotten a free pass. Yes, there has been a bit of attention given to a couple of critics, most notably from within his own party. But overall this is just a drop in the bucket compared to the media firestorm of hatred directed at George Bush for Katrina 5 years ago.
  8. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +155 / 2 / -1

that would be awesome

(of course, the right would probably get upset about him not wearing a flag pin while doing it, or govt meddling in the affairs of a private company)
  9. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

He has gotten no criticism????.. another WTF moment brought to you by someone who does not pay attention...

BTW thought the Coast Guard was part of the military:confused::confused::confused:
  10. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +155 / 2 / -1

So you don't actually have an issue w/Obama on this?
  11. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +1,037 / 25 / -46

No Jersey Selected

Huh? As far as I've seen, he's getting a ton of criticism from the media and general population alike. Look, I don't like Obama and I don't like his politics (you should know that), but he doesn't deserve what he's getting on this one. You are right about one thing, though. Nothing will touch the sh!tstorm leveled at Bush for Katrina by the left.
  12. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

Let's dumb this down for you once again, as you obviously do not understand shyt about Katrina..

Katrina took place on land, the US had the assets to move quickly, they chose not to.. fast forward to this current situation, the US does not have the assets to do much different than they are doing right now.. they also have to rely on the expertise of the people who drill these wells as that is really not the business of the government...

Katrina's damage was obvious from Pascadoula to NOLA.. this damage is in the Gulf of Mexico.. you may want to review the current response..

Deepwater BP Oil Spill | The White House

Admiral Thad Allen does not equal Michael Brown.. who he just happened to have bailed out in the Katrina clusterfock..

Thad Allen was described by George W. as an action oriented guy, who put him in charge of the Coast Guard also.. he seems to be the best we have to do this job, but unfortunately the people with the expertise and equipment are Transocean, Haliburton or BP...
  13. MrSparkle

MrSparkle Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Nope. The same level of outrage is never going to happen. Right, wrong or whatever, that's the fact.

I also agree with you, it does not really matter where he is. There is little more he can do being in the GOM. He gets the same briefings no matter where he is.

I understand why WP is posting this, I think we are all frustrated by the lack of progress BP is having WRT the leak. If this stays uncapped till mid August, it's going to be very, very bad in coastal states. Think of the devestation a hurricane will do, spreading the oil inland. This is not going to end well, is it.
  14. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +345 / 6 / -7

There really is no comparison between Katrina and the Gulf oil spill. Saying otherwise is merely conservative revisionist history in an ex post facto attempt to whitewash their boy's legacy.

Nice try.
  15. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 4 / -2

With Obama, it sometimes feels like George Bush never left office. I love seeing Daryl getting upset over the same stuff he was criticizing for 8 years.
  16. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +1,037 / 25 / -46

No Jersey Selected

Sure there is. Both are disasters. One is just a little more natural than the other. If a hurricane blows through off the Gulf coast and this isn't cleaned up yet, this will get even bigger. That's why there should be an immense amount of pressure to stop it and clean it up as fast as possible.
  17. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +127 / 7 / -13

Your right, Nagle(d)refused the let the Feds in before Katrina hit as Bush requested. he refused to let the Feds evacuate, unlike officials in MS and AL. OTOH Obama has refused to let Jindal try to protect the wetlands using berms saying they would study it, while the oil fouls the marshes.

18. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Now what did I tell you about reading comprehension, Darryl? I said he has gone "virtually no criticism" and he has gotten nowhere near the amount Bush would have gotten if this happened on his watch.
    Yes, last time I checked, they were. Your point being?
  19. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Oh, I understand everything I need to understand. The left's obsessive hatred for Bush made everything he did regarding Katrina wrong, and it was a major media firestorm. But your messiah does an even worse job during his own crisis, and you just want to give him a 100% free pass.
  20. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

+1. :rocker: