Welcome to PatsFans.com

Obama Overturns Bush Order on Presidential Records

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, Jan 22, 2009.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,971 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

Obama Overturns Bush Order on Presidential Records - Chronicle.com

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  2. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +552 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +563 / 22 / -19

Liberalism and the big government it entails requires transparency, and nearly every Democratic President has taken steps in that regard, often reversing the paranoid secrecy that allowed corruption to fester under the likes of Nixon, Reagan (Iran-Contra), and Bush. I'm glad to see Obama is taking steps for greater transparency, but much more needs to be done.

4. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,971 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

Yeah but don't get too excited ... you think Rahm and Axelrod will like transparency?

5. Patters

Ratings:
    +563 / 22 / -19

If they're liberals they will, but only time will tell.

6. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Lets get the ball rollin' Barry. Show us a real birth certificate. :)

7. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +775 / 17 / -22

#24 Jersey

8. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +49 / 16 / -3

Yep, this is what our media is concerned with:rolleyes:

9. Run DMC

Run DMC In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +42 / 7 / -4

#24 Jersey

10. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +775 / 17 / -22

#24 Jersey

It wasn't just about that. Already they're not looking real open or transparent . . . and He doesn't want to answer questions either :

""Ahh, see," he said, "I came down here to visit. See this is what happens. I can't end up visiting with you guys and shaking hands if I'm going to get grilled every time I come down here.""

Obama flashes irritation in press room - Jonathan Martin and Carrie Budoff Brown - Politico.com

11. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +49 / 16 / -3

He has an obligation to answer those questions, and if he does that in a Press Conference I'll be the first to criticize him. But he was making a surprise visit that he wasn't obligated in any way to make, and it wasn't really the appropriate forum for those types of questions. He probably should have expected it, but if he's just going down there to meet them personally I can see where he'd be taken off guard. I'm sure these are things he'll learn.

Don't worry, he's going to be like any other President, you'll get your opportunity to rip him soon enough. Right now, this just looks petty.

P.S. Can we just get a sticky to the Drudge Report? All the righties in this forum do is channel his site anyway.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  12. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +808 / 26 / -33

Think all the right wing folks had a happy ending here, in the big scale it is pretty insignificant.. even Politico was downplaying it.. hope you have a few more climaxing moments as you all seem to need them.

13. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +552 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

You need to remind yourself that Obama will not be a "liberal" president. He's consistently shown that already. The people who voted for him did so because of his promise to govern from the middle, not the left.

Also, be reminded that the VAST majority of American democrats are moderate, not liberal. I am extremely confident that Obama is going to frustrate liberals as much as he will conservatives.

14. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +552 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

You of all people need to stop calling democrats, "Liberal". they are not one in the same. As per my previous post, Obama will not govern from a liberal perspective. His goal is to unite and blur party lines. That can only be accomplished by governing from a very moderate democratic perspective.

Why do you think he included so many tax breaks for businesses in his stimulus package? Republicans are all ready on record as saying they were pleasantly surprised.

But the primary thing ALL republicans must do is to stop the lie that democrat means liberal...it doesn't and it never has. Just as conservative does not mean republican. But I'll give you that in general, democrats are more liberal than republicans. But right now, the majority of Americans deeply want to be united, not divided....as we are here on this board.

I just came back from Washington and spoke with several democrats and republicans who have given Obama high praise and spoke of the fact that the time has come for the bullsh1t between republicans and democrats to stop.

You know, like the childish crap such as "well the democrats disrespected Bush":rolleyes:

15. Patters

Ratings:
    +563 / 22 / -19

I think that so far he's done well in his liberalism -- his first acts involve transparency, closing Gitmo, ending torture, taking steps towards leaving Iraq, he's calling for massive infrastructure spending, appointing George Mitchell (who the ADL President complained is too fair) as special Middle East envoy, and he's only been on the job since Tuesday! All of those things are part of the liberal agenda.

The vast majority of Americans are interested in results, and will embrace the approach that works. I think Obama is a pragmatic liberal, and I don't think he promised to govern from the middle. But, the fact is, liberalism is not and has never been the whacked out ideology that some nutty conservatives have claimed. I would guess you don't oppose most of the liberal programs of the past including Social Security, Peace Core, GI Bill of Rights, Medicare/Medicaid, Family Leave Act, OSHA and fair labor act, tuition assistance, civil rights, women's rights, Americans with Disabilities Act, etc. In fact, some of these programs had the support of moderate Republicans.

Obama I think is already introducing a new liberalism that serves our current needs and values, but of course it's too early to be sure. Are you one of those conditioned by the Reagan Revulsion to have a kneejerk negative reaction to word "liberal"?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  16. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,971 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

You forgot he is overturning the 'Mexico City' Anti-Abortion act.
    One that I am not crazy about but it is what it is ... he's playing to his base.

17. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +893 / 7 / -3

I don't have a problem with Obama's handling of the media in that off the cuff visit he had with them last night. The media is important, but they always think that they're the only show in town. I think he handled it pretty well.

Transparency isn't going to be determined by overturning some GW order. Transparency will be evident when the **** hits the fan, and the people are looking for answers.

18. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,113 / 3 / -10

Tell that to the NY Times, NBC, Rap Crappers, MTV, Jon Stewart and Mush Mouth Matthews.