Welcome to PatsFans.com

Obama orders same-sex hospital visits

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, Apr 16, 2010.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +776 / 5 / -15

#87 Jersey

:eat1: ... for Obama on this one.

A just society is one where all have equal rights ... totally equal rights - not cherry picked rights.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -26

I assumed that they did, when I read about some of the steps that the Government has to take to insure equal protections for all have to scratch my head..
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +483 / 2 / -9

If a homosexual gets sick and is hospitalized then the "partner" comes to visit at the bedside how does the hospital know that the visitor is also a homosexual.

:confused::confused::confused:
  4. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +776 / 5 / -15

#87 Jersey

Why did the homosexual cross the road?

To get to the other side ... just like everyone else. :rolleyes:
  5. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm curious if this will cause any problems with identifying people... if the patient is unable to coherently grant a list of visitors -- are there measures to still allow family members in?
  6. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +483 / 2 / -9

That still doesn't answer the question.

When I visit a person in the hospital I go to the nurses desk and ask what room the the patient is in, they tell me, I go to that room and visit, I don't run around the hospital telling everybody that I sleep with girls.

HOW DOES THE HOSPITAL KNOW THE VISITOR IS A HOMOSEXUAL-----------:confused:

PS
    Strange order coming from a president who doesn't believe in same sex marriage?
  7. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +483 / 2 / -9

"good morning doctor, i'd like you to meet my wife Henry"
  8. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +181 / 2 / -2

Not sure if you're kidding or just obtuse.
  9. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +483 / 2 / -9

If a homosexual is hit by a car and is taken to the hospital then the patients partner comes to visit and the hospital refuses to let the partner visit because of "homosexuality"
    HOW DID THE HOSPITAL KNOW THE VISITING PARTNER WAS A HOMOSEXUAL?

It's just a simple question...........:confused:

What does "obtuse" mean
  10. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Good for him, I'm actually to the left of Obama on this one (gasp!). Argue all you want about the roots of homosexuality, but in the end you can't help who you love. From that perspective I say allow gay marriage and all the equal protections that come with it. After being married for a number of years I can confidently say that if homosexuals want to experience what I have be my guest.:D We've got MUCH bigger problems in this country to waste time denying equal treatment to gays whether we approve of that lifestyle or not.
  11. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +483 / 2 / -9

In this day and age I can't believe that a Hospital would deny visitation rights because of a persons sexual preferance, can you just imagine what MSNBC, The NY Times or The View would do with that one.......
  12. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Advanced directives, like living wills let others ( hospital,staff, relatives) know in advances the wishes of the individual be it who should be allowed to visit, or whether they want extraordinary resuscitate efforts. A DNR order (do not resuscitate) can be placed on the patient's chart and they won't do CPR if they code.
    This is why the whole argument over 'death panels' is so silly and stupid. It is simply a physician asking a patient what they want to do if they find themselves in this situation. What do they want done and who should be allowed to visit. Most all of us have found ourselves over the hospital bed of a dying loved one. If you can honor their wishes, it is easier if you know their wishes in advance.
    In the case of same sex partners, I assume most of the problem might lie with other relatives who feel uncomfortable with the partner being allowed to visit or hospitals trying to figure out who should be allowed in. Write it up and get it notarized or let others where it is and what your wishes are. The same is true for organ donation because even if you have it on your license, if a relative objects, it won't be donated lest the OPO (organ procurement organization) finds themselves in a potential legal battle.
  13. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +473 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

That's a big part of it, PRnP, but there's also the part where if the person is brought into the hospital unconscious most hospital policy is to restrict all visitors to immediate family only.

As for the "write it up and get it notarized" and the Advance Directives and the OPO, even if you have all of those things if even one family member objects to the doctor or hospital carrying out those wishes, it's probably not going to get done. I've seen it a zillion times in the ER - grandpa has a DNR but great nephew John says, "Don't let him die," and boom - grandpa's intubated immediately. Same with organ donations - person dies they still ask the next of kin - if the next of kin says, "Um, no it gives me the willies" they aren't going to take the organ. Too much risk of getting sued later down the line. Live people sue, dead people don't.
  14. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It is a triangle with one angle greater than 90 degrees.
  15. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +483 / 2 / -9

Thats Me............:)
  16. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +181 / 2 / -2

How does the hospital know if a patient is heterosexual?
  17. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Lots of hospitals have restricted visiting hours for all but immediate family, so they would say no based on not being a blood relation and not being married. That is my understanding anyway, like you I've never been questioned when going to visit someone in the hospital.
  18. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +153 / 7 / -13

People should have whoever they want for visitors, don't see why it is any business of the government.
  19. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I think there must have been enough complaints about hospitals who make stupid, arbitrary decisions like "Gay men can't be visited by their mates after 8:00 just because we say so". Just guessing. Obama's just codifying what everyone (well almost) knows to be true because he has to. No big deal here. It hurts no one at all.
  20. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +483 / 2 / -9

Exactly, thats my point.