Welcome to PatsFans.com

Obama knows his own voters are morons

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Wolfpack, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Obama knows you really can fool some of the people all of the time, so he continues to pander to the morons who just don't understand the difference between total tax paid and tax rate.

"You can call this class warfare all you want. But asking a billionaire to pay at least as much as his secretary in taxes? Most Americans would call that common sense" - Glorified Crackhead, 1/24/2012
  2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +167 / 4 / -4

Frankly, if you're serious you're not coming off as too sharp, unless you believe that everyone should pay the same dollar amount. Is that what you believe? That everyone should pay a specific dollar amount? Or do you not understand your own point? Be careful accusing those of who support Obama as being morons, because it sort splashes right back in your face.
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  3. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +152 / 2 / -1

or by "pay at least as much" he was, in fact, referring to the rate paid

common sense...
  4. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +340 / 6 / -7

Another bait thread from our resident troll.

I have to assume even WP isn't dumb enough to believe what he's trying to sell here.
  5. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think you're the one coming off as not too sharp here, Patters. When Obama makes a statement like that, what he's obviously trying to do is make people believe that his political opponents (i.e. republicans) do not support that which he is calling "common sense."

Of course I believe a guy that makes $30 million should pay more in taxes than the secretary that makes $60,000 (assuming he has no capital loss deductions). You can't find a single politician that will disagree with that. And since there isn't a single soul who disagrees with that, why would Obama feel it necessary to make that statement in his speech?

The answer is obvious: He knows his own voters are morons and they'll hear a statement like that and think the evil republicans want Buffett to pay less than his secretary. This very forum has multiple examples of liberals showing they just don't understand the difference between the tax someone pays and the tax rate.

The fact that you don't see Obama's underlying message in his statement and that it is clearly meant to fool the people he knows are morons..... well what was that you were saying about something splashing back in your face?
  6. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +340 / 6 / -7

The obvious answer is that he was obviously talking about the tax rate -- which is why he explicitly mentioned the 30 PERCENT floor for high income earners -- not the respective nominal amounts paid.

Highly ironic that WP would make a thread calling Obama's voters morons when he can't even comprehend a routine SOTU address.
  7. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +167 / 4 / -4

Wolfie, frankly it's you who seem to have the strange interpretation of what Obama said. Most people understand it perfectly well. Most voters, certainly those who watch the SOTU address, understand he's talking about percentages. You, in your original post, seems to be the one who's confused, and now your covering your tracks. All tax debate has been about percentages, not fixed dollar amounts. While there might be some people out there who do not understand that, those people probably don't even know who Obama is.
  8. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +285 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

We all know what he meant. However what he said wasn't the rate it was the dollars. And I guarantee you there's people out there who think he paid less dollars than his secretary.

And as I said yesterday, while I have no idea if this specific Buffett example is true or not on the rate, the tax RATE does increase with income :

Historical Effective Federal Tax Rates for All Households
  9. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +340 / 6 / -7

He did? Where?
  10. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +152 / 2 / -1

just as this very forum has multiple examples of conservatives showing they just don't understand what capital gains are...
  11. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +285 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

I'm assuming the above quote was correct, I wouldn't watch that speech if you paid me.

When you say "pay at least as much" you are referring to a dollar amount not a tax rate. Otherwise you would say "pay at least as high a tax rate". When you say "how much does that cost" the answer comes in dollars. Flat dollars. He was attempting to mislead the bottom 10 or 20% and was probably fairly successful.
  12. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +340 / 6 / -7

So basically it's entirely ambiguous, and you're choosing to interpret it in such a way that reflects poorly on the president.

In other news, the sun rose in the east today.
  13. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +350 / 8 / -3

#12 Jersey

Right here.

Full transcript: Obama's 2012 State of the Union Address

Opps, no, wait....he said "lower tax rate," right there in the opening statement.

He then goes on to say "You can call this class warfare all you want. But asking a billionaire to pay at least as much as his secretary in taxes? Most Americans would call that common sense," but that's after the groundwork has been laid and people (well at least people who hear everything rather than just what they want to hear) are already well aware that he's speaking of the rate not the monetary amount.

I guess it helps if you listen to or read the whole thing rather than rely on Wolfpack, a right wing blog or your own comprehension abilities.
  14. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Not at all. I guess I am just more insightful than you are (hence proving the original point I was making).

Obama makes statements like these because he knows the morons who vote for him will believe that horrible republicans want a secretary to pay more than a billionaire. This very forum has evidence of that.
  15. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +285 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

No I am not.

Buffett IS paying "at least as much". In fact he's paying a lot more. I have no problem with obama supporters who admit the truth when they see it. The ass kissers like you who defend him when he's clearly misleading just make me sad. It is a truly bizarre interpretation to say that someone who probably paid 100 times as much taxes is not paying "at least as much".
  16. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +285 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Check your own link and search for "at least as much" and you'll see Wolf's quote was accurate. If obama had referenced the rate each time that would have been fine - although still disingenuous for the general case as the link I gave shows the rate does increase on average with income.
  17. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

For the record, the quote was taking from an ABCNews.com article on the speech. I did not reference them because all I did was cut & paste the president's quote and I did not copy any of the reporter's words.
    Indeed. I think I did hear him mention tax rate once in a separate part of the speech. (EDIT: Yes, seeing the trascript provided above, that is the case). But the sentence I produced clearly implies exactly what I am saying it implies.
  18. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +152 / 2 / -1

That's opinion, BF, not fact.

"pay at least as high a tax rate" would certainly be more clear, just as "pay at least as many dollars" would be more clear.

but "pay at least as much" is ambiguous and could refer to dollars or percentage
  19. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yes, several paragraphs later, he goes on to present the quote exactly as I presented it. I have no doubt whatsoever that the left is deliberately confusing the issue because they know their own base isn't smart enough to understand the difference. He is clearly trying to make people believe that republicans want secretaries to pay more taxes in real dollars than billionaires.
  20. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +340 / 6 / -7

He said nothing that was misleading. I think most people who have ever paid taxes, watched the news over the past month, or who understand basic economics/marginal taxation knows that, nominally, Buffett paid more. Furthermore, since he not only referred to Warren Buffett's tax rate in the speech, as Mrs. already noted, but couched this entire point within an argument for a 30 percent floor on high income earners, the assertion that he was trying to mislead anyone is laughable and absurd on its face.

I understand why the righties aren't in good sorts these days, since it's looking unlikely you'll be able to defeat the president this November. I give WP a pass since he's a little slow to come around, but some of you ought to be able to do better than this.