Welcome to PatsFans.com

Obama issues new medical marijuana rules: No arrests

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Obama administration will not seek to arrest medical marijuana users and suppliers as long as they conform to state laws, under new policy guidelines to be sent to federal prosecutors Monday.

Two Justice Department officials described the new policy to The Associated Press, saying prosecutors will be told it is not a good use of their time to arrest people who use or provide medical marijuana in strict compliance with state laws.

Obama issues new medical marijuana rules: No arrests | Raw Story

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +716 / 20 / -30

Of course Drudge is labeling it "high times".. while in reality he is respecting a states rights issue... medical marijuana is very compassionate for those who need it...

Interesting the respect of the left for states rights....

3. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +511 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Marijuana should be legal regardless. It's a joke that the federal gov't doesn't see the revenue possibilities along with a decrease in arrests, convictions and our prison population.

I don't care if someone wants to buy 10 pounds of the stuff. How is that different than buying a keg of beer or a case of wine. Using marijuana is no less classy than sipping on a $200 bottle of chardonnay, but don't tell the dopes sipping their wine! They think they're classy! ;):D

4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +839 / 7 / -3

I'd legalize pot as well, but it's being illegal, has nothing to do with how classy it is. I'd legalize it, regulate it, and tax it. I'd also implement extreme penalties, or punishments, for illegal use. If it's going to be legal, then the black market angle has to be dealt with accordingly.

5. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I think once its officially legal the black market will fade fast. I'd say, in MA anyway, restrict it to package stores only. Those guys are pretty good about protecting their licenses with alcohol. I have to wonder how the pot heads will deal with the taxes though. If they tax pot here the way they tax cigs, the price may just go up:eek:

6. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +716 / 20 / -30

If it was legal, which I am not sure I support, it would save a boatload of money in our prison system... see Tommy Chong. There is something like 18% of criminals in the fed system for marijuana related offenses and something like 13% in state jails..

This would be a very good consequence... and a real benefit to the taxpayer, as well as a reduction in state and federal government...

7. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +511 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Seems like you see the logic in making it legal, so why are you unsure? It's certainly FAR less dangerous than any form of alcohol.

8. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,814 / 35 / -29

#87 Jersey

I think our country is better off with a President who inhaled when it comes to drug issues. Clinton lied about inhaling. Obama said he inhaled ... did some blow ... so hey Obama ... jah rastas :verycool: let's all go to Zion :lol2: and do a fatty. :rolleyes2::rolleyes2::rolleyes2: Loved my rasta days ... :cool:

9. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +511 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

That was just comment/obseration that some hypocrates would look down upon the use of pot as they sip their expensive wines. They act like what they're doing is "celebrating life's finest".

All I was saying is pot use is no less classy. As a matter of fact, I'd rather invite a bunch of pot heads over for a party than a bunch of drunk people. I have little tolerance for drunkeness....I've seen too much of it in my lifetime.

10. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Agreed, if that's the only thing they've done. I suspect lots of them just couldn't be pinned down on more serious offenses though, kinda like Capone going to jail for tax evasion. Everyone would of preferred he went to the chair for committing/ordering who knows how many murders; but you take what you can get and I tend to trust the cops/prosecutors/judges.

11. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +716 / 20 / -30

My grandson is 14.. and is "born to the breed"... purely selfish.

12. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +511 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

I agree with the above bolded comment. The only part of our judicial system that I don't like is that only those with money get the best defense teams.

13. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think this is a good "common sense" move by Obama. I am on the fence regarding the legalization of pot but from everything I have heard, it has tremendous medicinal value for people suffering from certain diseases. I think a doctor should be allowed to prescribe it if he feels it is in the patient's best interest.

The federal government has better things to do than crack the skull of some cancer patient lighting up after a chemo session to reduce the side effects.

14. alvinnf

alvinnf In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +14 / 1 / -0

This is good. It's a step in the right direction towards legalizing Mary Jane. Let's let those tax revenues roll in...... No pun intended.

15. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Taxes are already too high.
    I think drug laws should not be left to a higher authority like the jokers in DC. Besides, most people will just zig-zag around the laws anyways.
    This only plants the seeds of more government intervention in our lives,but it will probably resinate well among the bureaucrats.
    Know what I mean, bud?

16. alvinnf

Ratings:
    +14 / 1 / -0

I'll put it bluntly.....
    Governments trying to hash out a new tax.
    Where there's smoke there's fire...
    I'm sure the new legislation is getting passed around as we speak.
    The chamber is packed....
    Thre's no doubt something is coming up the tube.....

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  17. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Here’s another twist:
    What if it’s just another token gesture by Obama? What if he’s just blowing smoke up our arses? There’s no need for a joint task force to figure this thing out. He should just declare pot legal - just another wasted opportunity. More proof that BO is not a power hitter.

…I need some Oreos and Ovaltine.

18. alvinnf

Ratings:
    +14 / 1 / -0

We'll probably have a resolution by 4:20 EST, tommorrow.
    I'm sure some of the news outlets will try to bogart the news all to themselves....
    I won't wait to tune in, I like my news wakey, wakey, eggs and bakey.
    Just think of all the green those tax revenues could turn into.
    With all the taxes they have in places like New York, people are going to feel like real pinheads.....
    Oh well, what do I care I'm just a dope....

19. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +716 / 20 / -30

Everything is not a conspiracy, it is quite simply respecting states rights to regulate [medical marijuana, and reallocating resources by diverting them from tracking stuff that states consider legal to other things that are illegal... that is all... there is on mention of the other marijuana....

To legalize Marijuana will create a huge shytstorm on both sides of the aisle, reefer madness is a movie that many of our legislators hold near and dear to their heart, and for some has a biblical impact... so don't look for the big change soon...

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  20. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +992 / 2 / -9

Legalize It
    It's Everywhere
    Right Now It's As Easy To Buy As A Loaf Of Bread
    Any Kid That Wants It Can Get It In 5 Minutes
    God Damn Fools

When The Carload Of Teenagers Die From The Colision It Isn't Pot The Cops Find All Over The Street It's The Little Brown Bottles (xxx)

I saw a wreck on the highway
    Bit I didn't hear nobody pray
    Whiskey and blood flowed together
    But I didn't hear nobody pray