Welcome to PatsFans.com

Obama Intel Chief: "Bush-era interrogation helpful" - CNN

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Fogbuster, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

No, it's not from Fox NEWS, NewsMax, not even The Washington Times.... it's from CNN:

[size=+4]Bush-era interrogation may have worked, Obama official says[/size]

updated 11:21 p.m. EDT, Tue April 21, 2009

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The Bush-era interrogation techniques that many view as torture may have yielded important information about terrorists, President Obama's national intelligence director said in an internal memo.

"High-value information came from interrogations in which those methods were used and provided a deeper understanding of the al Qaeda organization that was attacking this country," Director of National Intelligence Dennis Blair said in a memo to personnel.

The memo, obtained by CNN late Tuesday, was sent around the time the administration released several memos from the previous administration detailing the use of terror interrogation techniques such as waterboarding, which simulates drowning.

Bush-era interrogation may have worked, Obama official says - CNN.com

Huh, well how 'bout that!!!

//
  2. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Update: It appears he's been taken to the woodshed since that memo was made public. He's had to change his tune publically............which I'm sure he did completely on his own with absolutely no intimidation from the top:cool:

Intel Director: High-Value Info Obtained - Politics News Story - WDIV Detroit

WASHINGTON -- The Obama administration's top intelligence official privately told employees last week that "high value information" was obtained in interrogations that included harsh techniques approved by former President George W. Bush.

"A deeper understanding of the al-Qaida network" resulted, National Intelligence Director Dennis Blair said in the memo, in which he added, "I like to think I would not have approved those methods in the past." The Associated Press obtained a copy.

Critics of the harsh methods -- waterboarding, face slapping, sleep deprivation and other techniques -- have called them torture. President Barack Obama said Tuesday they showed the United States "losing our moral bearings" and said they would not be used while he is in office. But he did not say whether he believed they worked.

Obama ordered the release of long-secret Bush-era documents on the subject last week, and Blair circulated his memo declaring that useful information was obtained at the same time.

In a public statement released the same day, Blair did not say that interrogations using the techniques had yielded useful information.

As word of the private memo surfaced Tuesday night, a new statement was issued in his name that appeared to be more explicit in one regard and contained something of a hedge on another point.

It said, "The information gained from these techniques was valuable in some instances, but there is no way of knowing whether the same information could have been obtained through other means."
  3. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Torture is good.
    Torture works.
    I like torture.
  4. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Wussification of America.

"Spare the rod, spoil the child." -- Geo Washington lived by this, as did Abraham Lincoln.

//
  5. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

If YOU define water-boarding as torture, then Obama's intel chief agrees with you!!!!

:D

//
  6. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +110 / 7 / -10

Only it wasn't torture, but I am glad more people weren't killed too...
  7. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Pretty vague stuff - we got good info, a deeper understanding, trust me.

Then of course we should question whether we could have gotten the same info (if we really got anything) without providing a valuable recruiting tool for the enemy.

Any way you slice it it's bad policy. But the sadists love it.
  8. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +77 / 5 / -7

#37 Jersey

Bad policy is to thwart attacks on America?

You really have no understanding about this do you?

Of course neither do Obama or Panetta.
  9. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Oh, I'm not talking about waterboarding. That's kid's stuff. I wish we would do some more effective types of torture...you know...REEEEAL torture! Braveheart stuff. Marquis de Sad-style sick stuff. Iron Maidens and car batteries on the scrotum. Then we could get some really good intel and save even more people.

YouTube - Braveheart William Wallace excecution
  10. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

If true, that sets up an interesting moral dilemma doesn't it? If sometime in the future we capture high level terrorists we think have knowledge of future plots, and they give us nothing with the methods we have available from the field manual, what does the administration do? Do they keep the moral high ground and stick to the tamer but more ethical methods, or do they throw morality and fair treatment of prisoners out the window in favor of harsher methods they know worked in the past, but which break their own standards of conduct?
  11. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

What's your understanding of it? Just curious. Do you have some kind of inside info that everyone else doesn't?

The stuff in the story doesn't say much, and the CIA and other intel groups are known for their secrecy and lack of details. We really don't know much and the CIA is part of the federal government. Since when is the "intelligence community" the only part of the federal government that is trustworthy and reliable?

Funny how some people will rail against the reliability of the federal gov't as far as anything goes except for the military and CIA. Why is that?
  12. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

Especially if she is the one delivering the punishment. :D

[​IMG]
  13. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

My guess is that they will do whatever it takes to get re-elected.:(
  14. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Oh, YEAH!

I'd even give her my pin number to my debit card!
  15. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Hinges on the truth of the premise. I'd say there's a lot of reason to be skeptical of this claim.
  16. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Now that is a policy I can get behind!
  17. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

I would too, but only after she "tortured" it out of me. [​IMG]
  18. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

19. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +110 / 7 / -10

What reason is their to be skeptical of the claim? Please be specific. Is the CIA and the Obama administration lying when they say it stopped at least a 9-11 2nd wave attack on LA?

How many Americans should have died to uphold adherance to your definition of torture, please be specific for our benefit. 1, 10, 100, 1000, 10,000, 100,000, how many American deaths would have been acceptable to avoid waterboarding these 3 individuals (of all the thousands captured)??

Any of the Bush/ Cheney crowd is free to answer if you have the guts to....:singing:

Please give us evil people a number...:p
  20. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

There's a huge difference between being evil and being gullible. So you think it's unlikely the federal government and the CIA, in particular, are full of sh!t? Jeeziz, man - if you're not afraid, why would you need the police, CIA and the military to protect you? Get it?