Welcome to PatsFans.com

Obama: Inflate your tires, no need to drill

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by FreeTedWilliams, Aug 1, 2008.

1. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +582 / 50 / -8

#75 Jersey

You have to be kidding me!

He actually told people that if they properly inflate their tires, we could save as much oil as if we drilled!

Plus he said to get a tune up, of course if he wasn't an elitist a-hole, he would know that most cars now do not require tune-ups, or at the very least not until 100,000 miles.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/?pageId=71044

WASHINGTON – If you think there isn't urgency to getting Congress to drop its bans on offshore drilling and development of the ANWR oil reserves, listen to what Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama had to say in Missouri yesterday.

"There are things you can do individually, though, to save energy," Obama said. "Making sure your tires are properly inflated – simple thing. But we could save all the oil that they're talking about getting off drilling – if everybody was just inflating their tires? And getting regular tune-ups? You'd actually save just as much!"

That's his energy plan? Inflate your tires? Get more tune-ups?

2. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

honestly it sounds bad when you are reading it. but reallistically when did a candidate ever deliver on their rhetoric on an energy plan?

it's been the same old song and dance the past three decades plus.

do you want him to lie to you and say we are going to get stuff done?

forgive me if i'm skeptical that stuff will actually get done logically.

if logic persisted the Big Dig would not have happened and they would have invested in a second air port locate in central mass.

3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +781 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

Meanwhile Granny and the Crew won't allow a vote on drilling :

http://www.politico.com/blogs/thecr...t_the_light_but_GOP_keep_talking.html?showall

I've figured out McCain's strategy. At first I wanted to to wake up and actually campaign. But I've figured it out. Lay low. Let Obama talk. And talk. And talk. Then shorty before the Republican convention put all this stuff together and bury the voting populace with his stupidity and inconsistency.

Engery alone, I think, wins this for McCain. They can just do ads with Obama against everything other than inflating your tires and new technology that's still under development and compare that to McCain being in favor of our oil, coal, nuclear plants AND new technology. Add to that the Granny not even allowing a vote which is favored by the House and the people.

Add it all up ? The Democrats are on their way to losing the unloseable election.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  4. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,013 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

He could have recieved a 5-point bump in the polls if he said he was going to talk some sense into thatg "Ultra-liberal" liberal.;)

5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,146 / 5 / -10

Obama and his tires:
    Obama is just another run of the mill scumbag politician, but the MTV crowd and all the Politically Correct Social Do-Gooders want him sitting in the White House and we all know why but can't say it, they could care less how he runs the country all the loons want to do is "look at him" then tell each other how wonderful they are.

America will be sorry when they see this jerk in action.

6. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +49 / 16 / -3

http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1829354,00.html?cnn=yes

7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +824 / 27 / -33

I think this whole elitist thing is a figment of the right wing's imagination.. if you want to look at elitism, look a folks like Romney, Bush, Rove, Cheney and many of the current residents of the beltway.. it seems that this was invented instead of saying an out of touch black man.

8. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +913 / 7 / -3

Time's a rag mag, but never the less, let's look at the article and point out where the authors off target.

This is from Shmessy's post in another thread that linked an EIA report from 2007. Anyhow, 200,000 bpd is slightly off.
    Also, global demand, according to another EIA report, is projected to skyrocket 50% by the time 2030 rolls around. Drilling in the OCS would also serve to guarantee future supply, since oil is not an infinite resource.
    Furthermore, let's look at his disengenuous framing of percentages.
    First of all, our per day consumption includes all industry, vehicles, and assorted uses. We're talking airlines, business', machinery, cars, factories, tractors, goods, products, etc. The 3% & 4% increase in mileage he speaks of would only apply to anyone who doesn't already keep their tires inflated, or their maintenance up to date. Also, the percentages would be further limited to gasoline used by vehicles. Every other mechanism that uses oil, and is not a car, would not be affected. So by typing 3% & 4%, with his already inaccurate 1%, gives the reader the idea that inflating tires is certifiably more productive, when he hasn't actually proven so. Like I always say, numbers can be made to look a number of different ways.

In other words: The author is disengenuous. :D

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  9. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Inflating tires isn't a panacea for energy prices, but it will help boost your cars efficiency. Getting regular tune-ups will help too. It's like a band aid on a cut that needs stitches. It will help a little, but there's a larger problem to be addressed. The statements that the media are focusing on in this election are INSANE.

10. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +573 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Maybe the author's numbers were made to fit his support of Obama. but that doesn't take anything away from the fact Obama makes a good point. I never check my tire pressure...or at least rarely.

The bottom line is, we can save a lot by regular checks and maintainence of our vehicles and by reducing our speed on highways. Travelling at 65 mph opposed to 75 mph until your tank is empty can save 10-20% on mileage and therefor fuel consumption.

When you add that all up, it's a considerable amount of fuel savings.

11. Real World

Ratings:
    +913 / 7 / -3

That's nice and all, but that's not a solution to the world's energy problems. If we were talking about famine, and I said "if you eat two forkfulls less in every meal, that'll provide 3 tons of extra food per household, decreasing our demand of the worlds food supply", it'd be a fair enough point, but it wouldn't serve as an answer to global famine.

12. jack

jack 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/maintain.shtml
    g a car that is noticeably out of tune or has failed an emissions test can improve its gas mileage by an average of 4 percent, though results vary based on the kind of repair and how well it is done.

Fixing a serious maintenance problem, such as a faulty oxygen sensor, can improve your mileage by as much as 40 percent.

Fuel Economy Benefit: 4%
    Equivalent Gasoline Savings: $0.16/gallon

Check & Replace Air Filters Regularly

Replacing a clogged air filter can improve your car's gas mileage by as much as 10 percent. Your car's air filter keeps impurities from damaging the inside of your engine. Not only will replacing a dirty air filter save gas, it will protect your engine.
    Fuel Economy Benefit: up to 10%
    Equivalent Gasoline Savings: up to $0.40/gallon

Keep Tires Properly Inflated

You can improve your gas mileage by around 3.3 percent by keeping your tires inflated to the proper pressure. Under-inflated tires can lower gas mileage by 0.4 percent for every 1 psi drop in pressure of all four tires. Properly inflated tires are safer and last longer.

Fuel Economy Benefit: up to 3%
    Equivalent Gasoline Savings: up to $0.12/gallon

Use the Recommended Grade of Motor Oil

You can improve your gas mileage by 1-2 percent by using the manufacturer's recommended grade of motor oil. For example, using 10W-30 motor oil in an engine designed to use 5W-30 can lower your gas mileage by 1-2 percent. Using 5W-30 in an engine designed for 5W-20 can lower your gas mileage by 1-1.5 percent. Also, look for motor oil that says "Energy Conserving" on the API performance symbol to be sure it contains friction-reducing additives.

Fuel Economy Benefit: 1-2%
    Equivalent Gasoline Savings: $0.04-$0.08/gallon

Note: Cost savings are based on an assumed fuel price of $3.96/gallon.

Data Sources

Estimates for fuel savings from vehicle maintenance, keeping tires properly inflated, and using the recommended grade of motor oil are based on studies and literature reviews performed by Energy and Environmental Analysis, Inc., Washington, DC.

Air filter savings based on Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). 1981. Automobile Fuel Consumption in Actual Traffic Conditions. Paris, France. These tests were performed before the introduction of computer-controlled, fuel-injection engines. DOE is currently studying the fuel economy effects of clogged air filters on more modern engines.

13. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Fact Check: Properly inflated tires cut gas use.

Are you surprised ?

14. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +573 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Remember RW....no in this country is interested in solving "the world's" energy crisis. All we want to do is solve our own here at home. As a matter of fact, our #1 objective should be to become totally self-reliant so that we are not at the mercy of other nations.

And of course we all know, the ultimate goal is to get the hell off oil altogether. I don't see why that can't happen over the next 20 years "IF" we put every resource we have into it. Why are we even talking about the need for oil 20 or 30 years from now? Can you answer that question? God, I hope there are enough start-ups that will invent alternatives to get us off "the stuff"!

But something tells me, our government will drag its feet in order to cater to Big Oil. I've already said many times, personally, I would love to see Big Oil die.

15. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Obama's advise to maintain cars is good. It's not bad. Only a complete idiot would not be able to see that. Go ahead and drive with low tires, faulty sensors and clogged air filters if you want to be a moron. Not only does it waste gas, but it damages the tires and engine of your car. Hell, I knew that when I was ten! Problem is, most people never think of stuff like that in our throw-away society. Lots of fuel is wasted because people are stupid, wasteful, and don't really give a sh!t about energy conservation, even if it means we have to continue to buy oil from our enemies and risk environmental degradation on our own soil. The Gulf and Alaska are not dumps.

We also need to begin construction of modern nuclear power plants immediately, but we might be willing to consider whoever builds them in Europe instead of Bechtel or Halliburton. Lots of money at stake in this phase of a sound energy policy.

16. Real World

Ratings:
    +913 / 7 / -3

As it currently stands, with us importing 70% of the oil we use, it is a world issue. Also, what's going to fuel the planes in the sky, or the cars on the ground? As of right now there is nothing on the horizon. That doesn't mean we won't find an alternative at some point, but it certifies that we're going to need to bridge the gap until we do. That's reality. It's why we need to use a little common sense, and put together a comprehensive plan to move forward. That plan has to include drilling our own supply. We're going to be using oil in 10 years, probably 15, and likely even 20 years down the road. There is no guarantee that the current supplies will exist at that point. If anything, drilling our own would at least help relieve any concerns about future availability, until a viable alternative can be found. Alternative's aren't just solar and wind, etc. Alternatives will have to be found to fuel aircraft, boats, trucks, machinery, cars, etc. In a best possible case scenario, we drill our own, and in 2030, we become a net exporter of oil, if we've come to some breakthrough that significantly limits our own need.

Anyhow, Bush sounds like an idiot in most interviews, but Nancy Pelosi doesn't sound much brighter. We're in a world of hurt people. Our leaders are incoherent morons.

http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerIndex?id=5504708

17. Real World

Ratings:
    +913 / 7 / -3

Advice to clean off your plate, and not waste food is good to. Advice to go get a job, and not take a government handout is good to. Advice to get an education, and not be stoopid is good to (I wish I took that advice! :D). Good advice is nice, but it doesn't deal with the actuality of an existing problem. If George Bush said to people who were complaining about high gas prices "to inflate your tires", people in here would be ripping him a new ahole about being a chimp, insensitive, out of touch, etc. Obama says it, and it's considered to be some wonderful plan that exemplifies his tremendous acumen to deal with the planets more dire problems. :woohoo:

18. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +582 / 50 / -8

#75 Jersey

Of course not, But now you are assuming that EVERYONE IN AMERICA has been driving aournd with under inflated tires? I doubt that, and how can you say that if you properly inflate your tires you will save x amount, their is no constant variable there, how do you know how underinflated each tires is? There is no way to know, all those numbers are absolute bunk.

But either way, if properly inflating your tires is Obama's answer to gas prices, he is an ass!

19. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +573 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

You're right...now would be the perfect time for our business leaders to step up and and become national leaders. We need people like T Boone Pickens to start speaking up.

You know what RW? I'll get real scared if this kinda dies down in the next year or two. This is a HUGE national emergency and needs to kept in the forefront every single day.

I'd like to see someone offer an award for alternative inventions.

20. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

But Bush didn't do that, did he? He never gave a hint at a national energy policy, right? Not saying I agree with Obama's energy policy - I don't even know if he has one yet - but there's more of a chance that he will than we ever had with Bush. Know why? Because Bush was and is a chimp - no, a retarded chimp (apologies to all retarded chimps of the world)- who has no vision based in reality and could give a rat's arse that he's left us in this mess. Back to Crawford! Thanks for coming in!