Welcome to PatsFans.com

Obama heckled by GOP during speech: 'You lie!'

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +654 / 7 / -2

I'm sorry, but this is really unacceptable behavior. You don't heckle the president when he's addressing congress. I've seen hoo'ing, and hissing before, but an outright heckle is BS. This guy probably guaranteed his reelection, considering he's from uber red South Carolina, but his actions were totally classless. Emotions are running high in this country, and have been for some time now, but there is a time and a place for them, and this wasn't one of them. :mad:

Obama heckled by GOP during speech: 'You lie!' - Yahoo! News

2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +587 / 14 / -14

#24 Jersey

It's probably not appropriate as this isn't parliament in England - but the heckler was telling the truth.

3. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +501 / 43 / -48

#50 Jersey

I highly doubt that anyone will remember this come the next election. Last I looked, Obama's numbers continued to slide..

4. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +712 / 11 / -7

Yep. Some Yahoo from South Carolina. He has apologized for his behavior.

BFan, factcheck.org says that in addition to being rude, he's also wrong.

PFnV

5. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +587 / 14 / -14

#24 Jersey

Wrong that obama lies ? No that's a joke. Maybe he wasn't lying at that moment, I wouldn't know as I didn't watch. But the generic statement of "you lie" directed at obama is as truthful as anything that's ever been spoken.

6. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,344 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

UPDATE: 11:13 p.m.: Wilson’s offer adds further that the congressman personally called the White House to apologize to Obama, but he spoke with Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel and expressed apologies.

I think he'll have to speak to Michelle next.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  7. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

fitting that the first chamber heckler of a black president during an internationally televised speech is from South Carolina, where the rebel flag still flies above courthouses.

Well done, Mr. Wilson. You've just cost yourself a re-election.

Oh, and if there was ever evidence of his repressive douchiness:

Wilson is a staunch advocate of a federal prohibition of online poker. In 2006, he cosponsored H.R. 4411, the Goodlatte-Leach Internet Gambling Prohibition Act[8] and H.R. 4777, the Internet Gambling Prohibition Act.[9]​

Wiki

8. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +434 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

For the life of me I've never been able to figure out why it's not illegal to fly the confederate (notice no capital "C"?) on any gov't grounds. The confederacy died over a century ago.

But I'd be fine with no online gambling.

9. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

OUCH!!! Now that must really hurt the hard-core gambler ....... where do much/most of the profits from on-line gambling go????? .... China?? Russia??? Cuba??? I doubt the N.Koreans are into it yet, but one never knows. Maybe it's for the Bernie Madoff legal defense fund??

//

10. Kdo5

Kdo5 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +85 / 7 / -6

It is not wrong to fly the Confederate flag. And as far as I see it, theres nothing negative about it. Do you assume that it symbolizes racism and pro-slavery?

A lot of Southerners are prideful about the Confederacy. They stood up against that ass hole Lincoln. Nothing to be ashamed of.

As for Wilson's outburst, even if he is right it was very very stupid to shout out that the President's a liar in a Congressional address.

11. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

I agree, certainly not appropriete behaviour. I would have walked out if I had sit there and listen to that smug and arrogant jackass insult everyone that opposes this POS legislation and all the while misrepresenting the past record and lying about the plan in general. I would not have screamed at him though.

Factcheck and Obama, are In fact, FULL OF SHYTE, this bill will not require proof of citizenship for services, which means they will have access to the services, including the public option which is taxpayer funded.

Read the Congressional Research Service (that's congress's research analysis service) REPORT, or even the BILL ITSELF. Unlike factcheck, they aren't partisan, it's the research division that congress uses to interpret bills.

Here lets help you get right to the summary.

What Obama is hanging his hat on is Section 246 (page 143 of the bill), which states.

Of course he fails to tell you that the CRS reports concludes that because "H.R. 3200 does not contain a mechanism to verify immigration status, the prohibitions on certain noncitizens (e.g, nonimmigrants and unauthorized aliens) receiving the credits is not able to be enforced." so unless its specifically provided for in the bill, which it isn't, there is no provision to control access to the system as it relates to immigration status. I.e. Illegal aliens would have access to the system and public option.

I believe this is what you call and end around.

Bottom Line: kinda a jackass move to scream LIAR out during the speech.......... Despite that fact that Obama was being one at the time ;)

12. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Excellent post. +++1

Good job explaining the serious flaws in this horribly mis-conceived plan that would put the final nail in America's coffin as a/the world leader. If Obama-Kennedy-care were to be passed, you'd better learn Chinese because they will be ruling the world from that moment. That would be a tragedy of unprecedented monumental proportions .

//

13. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Plain and simple...Rep Joe Wilson became the congressional eqivalent of the death panel-birther-tea bagging morons who currently have taken to paranoid rants at town halls, and sadly occupy 20% of the electorate.

He is shouting that the president is lying about a myth that the President himself is currently squashing. He is squashing this myth in front of BOTH houses of congress, as well as all Americans and the broadcastable Earth. Yet an elected rep found in necessary to call him a liar?

Even worse....it seemed to me to be an almost pavlovian response. He must've flashed back to a town hall....sad.

With my fuse I would've flown off the handle with that guy....you could see Obama think about saying something and then pulled back....Frickin KUDOS dude...this idiot wasn't worth it. I give President Obama TONS of props for remaining calm, focused and mostly "In-charge".

Thats what being a president looks like. Haven't seen that for a while.

14. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Well, LIARS certainly do need to be called out, especially when they sit in the White House main room.

Anywho, your "20%" redux is just fine; just remember: the Americans who kicked out King Charles and Britain in 1780 were LESS than 20% .... more like 13% of the total American population.

So....... it ain't about quantity, it's about QUALITY.

//

15. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

Of course you do. How quaint :rolleyes:

To the rest of us, he continued to come off as an old time Chicago political THUG. Bullying opponents and using term like "bogus" "demagoguery" and threatening to "call us out" :cool: , while adding just a dose of fear mongering himself ("People will die if you don't pass my crappy plan"). With his defiant tone and his continue political tone-deafness to the expressions of MANY typical American that are opposed to this plan, he is looking more and more like a one-termer every day.

You musta packed your bong with the good stuff tonight to enjoy that show Diver. ;)

16. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Not during a speech in front of both houses, and the nation. Were you screaming for the lies of the Bush administration warnings of Iraqi mushroom clouds? Did a single opposition to those facts call out at W during his lies in front of both houses, and the people?

You all sat there and called opposition "Unamerican"...YOU DID!

and look at you now....

Yallz paraniod representatives...screaming out like litttle misinformed B!TCHEZ who need to get some duckets to their pimps before the sunrise or its lights out on the meth fund from daddy....thats right....

17. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +515 / 14 / -28

HIs actions are unprecedented, do not seem to fit the demeanor of the right either... seems to be universally condemned by all including McCain, McConnell and many more...

Imagine if a left did this during the lies about Iraq.. that would have been quite a conundrum.

18. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Gosh.....

You seem to have been asleep during the election when McCain declared to 'CALL OUT' people who voted for earmarks....

and y'all cheered that $H!T......think back....

NOw look at you, getting all up in a frump when the President says he will call out liars....You are silly. Its not logical.

People ARE dying, people ARE going bankrupt. All because these health insurance companies are more concerned about profits than doing their job of INSURING THAT YOU HAVE HEALTHCARE... If a dozen people who are insured are denied care, thats a dozen too many. When a MILLION insured americans go bankrupt because of healthcare. Thers a stinkin rat.

Playah, you are defending the rat.

Tone deafness???

I'm 100% FOR a single payer, and even I can see a ton of bi-partisan outreach by Obama. I don't like this plan as a person who voted for massive reform. But what he is proposing seems like a gargantuan effort at tackling this problem with an open mind to the current system and how to make it more cost efficiant.

Gone are your mandated "single payer"

Gone are your mandated "Public option"

you got HUGE concessions from the liberals and progressives. The president ahs been MORE than open to options. He could strong-arm this like Bush did with the tax cuts....3x

But he isn't......and you people still B!TCCCH.....

19. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Exhibit "A": a Mind is a Terrible Thing to Waste.

//

20. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

I don't assume it does. I know it does. Certainly in the minds of 40 million black Americans.

Ass hole Lincoln, even? Well, that explains a lot.

Is Dick Cheney one too?

He isn't right. He was both stupid, AND dishonest.

And I'm not even FOR government health care. But I come at it from a totally different angle.