Welcome to PatsFans.com

Obama - Generals - War

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, Jul 16, 2008.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,776 / 35 / -29

#87 Jersey

This article caught my attention because it was a big pet peeve of mine regarding Bush and Rumsfeld. Bush deferred to Rumsfeld rather than listen to our fine Generals ... really pissed me off and we all know the history of this.

Now Obama says he will listen to the Generals ... which ... and I am no military expert could be good and bad. If we are already in a war or warlike situation then I say this is a good thing. But if we are not at war ... I am not so sure it is a good thing.

Here is what Obama said:

http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/obama/839220,obamaweb031208.article

I believe Obama will ramp things up in Afghanistan which will be a good thing. I hope Obama pressures Pakistan to allow us more movement in the northeast tribal areas in routing out al-qaeda. I am just not so sure Obama will let the Generals do their job as he says because he also will have heavy pressure form his constituency who elected him and who for the most part are very anti-war.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +703 / 20 / -30

I agree, holy crap, it seems that since Viet Nam that there has been a tendency to fight politically correct wars from inside the beltway.. time to restore the power to the Generals and those with boots on the ground. Not sure about the anti war influence, if he is doing what needs to be done in Afghanistan may change the attitudes.

3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +970 / 2 / -9

A General's whole life is dedicated To War, it is what they do, so, when in a War, "listen to the general" let the Generals run the war and keep the Scumsucking Grinning Politican out of it.

:bricks:

4. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +492 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

My favorite type of politicians are the ones that suck scum and grin:D

5. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +970 / 2 / -9

Washington is full of them, the good ones never make it to Washington.

6. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +492 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Man, I actually agree with you 100% on that one. Too bad we don't have a machine that can tell us who the "good ones" are.

7. Boston Boxer

Boston Boxer U.S. Air Force Retired PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +102 / 7 / -1

#75 Jersey

i agree, but the last time Bush listened to the Generals, it was Tommie Franks and he declared victory in Iraq...that led to the "Mission Accomplished" gaff on the Aircraft carrier

8. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +970 / 2 / -9

It's very easy to tell who the good ones are, they're all back home in City Hall.

9. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +970 / 2 / -9

I have to agree, I could never understand this war after we "got saddam".

10. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +824 / 7 / -2

So let me try to figure this one out. He's railing GW for not listening to his generals, and doing his own thing. Yet, if his generals come to him and say we shouldn't withdraw, he's still going to?

11. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +970 / 2 / -9

RW,
    I used to think that the greatest Mystery In Life Was Death then along came The Prince Obama, nobody knows Who he is, What he really thinks, What his big Change is, or what he truly does or does not believe, and his "Groupie Followers" don't seem to care, it seems all they are interested in is shoving him into the White House and then patting themselves on the back and crowing to each other about how wonderful they are in, (shhh, you know)

12. Real World

Ratings:
    +824 / 7 / -2

What I'm really beginning to notice about him, is that he has no concrete views, or principles. He changes with the wind. He'll speak with conviction about issue X, and how he feels about it, only to change his tune 6 months later. That's understandable with an issue or two, but he seems to do that all the time. That tells me that he's not ready for primetime. You can't be wrong that much. When you're the MMQB, or a looking at things from a distance, it's easy to change your opinion, or views. However, when you're the CIC, your decisions have permanant , and long term ramifications. This guy is incredibly scary in that regard. He has no principles or convictions. He's finger in the wind, and that's not all that good when you're in the job where the buck stops. I'm not surprised that polling reflects this. A lot of people feel McLame is a better CIC by a large margin. Obama can't even break 50% with that question. Obviously that doesn't determine an election, but it's a significant question moving forward. Ultimately people will vote for the person they feel more comfortable with. I think Obama has a lot to prove before November. He has to be both specific, and determined in his causes. He hasn't done that very well. Infact, I think he's hurt himself a little in the last 1-2 months. The more ordinary (or typical) he becomes, the less attractive his brand is.

FYI, McLame sucks too.

13. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +492 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Not that you need my blessing RW...but everything you said was ok and justifiable since it was your opinion. Except for half of that one statement I bolded. On what basis are you saying the man has no principles?

And how would you know or even believe he has any more or less principles than McCain? I think we never really know if a candidate has any principles until they are in office for a period. Sure we make assumptions based upon what we hear & read, but we don't know.

That's the crappiest part about voting in this country. They all have their "image" managers & consultants.

14. Real World

Ratings:
    +824 / 7 / -2

Well, I probably should/could have worded it a little differently. What I mean is that he really doesn't seem to stick to any core beliefs. McLame isn't much better, if at all. I remember talking with ABB about McCain when I first joined here. We both felt McCain was to much of a compromiser on issues. Compromise is a must, but compromise for the sake of agreement is not. There are some issues that require a principled stand. McLame has always seemed like the guy that'll just meet in the middle. That's one of the reasons why I don't think he's a good candidate for president. A president has to be able to be firm when it matters. Niether of these guys seems that way. McLame gets a a little more respect here simply cuz of his history.

15. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,776 / 35 / -29

#87 Jersey

Not so anymore Harry ... Generals do way more than fight wars. They are involved in many things that keeps us safe. Perhaps in the old days this was true but now that all branches as well as the CIA and FBI cooperate with each other their job has a much broader range.

16. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,776 / 35 / -29

#87 Jersey

That's what everyone wants to know ... it's a valid campaign question IMO.

17. Real World

Ratings:
    +824 / 7 / -2

He doesn't answer questions, especially since he's never asked them. I was watching the news the other night, and they were talking about how he's really changed views on important issues. They had some clips where he was giving speeches last year, versus this year, and how he'd say "I've been consistent in my beliefs that X" in 2007, whereas he'd say something totally opposite in 2008 saying "I'm been consistent about X (even though his position is not Y)". It had me genuinely wondering how people could vote for someone so green. I just can't get over his inexperience, whenever I try to figure out who's going to win. The table is set for him, but I think he really has some vulnerabilities. Heck, he might win, and become the greatest president of our lifetime. Who knows. I'm not voting for him, nor McLame, but I hope whoever wins is better than I think they'll be.