Welcome to PatsFans.com

Obama - "France is Our Greatest Ally"

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, Jan 12, 2011.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +626 / 4 / -13

#87 Jersey

2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +378 / 1 / -9

they do hate us thats why jug ears likes them
  3. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +626 / 4 / -13

#87 Jersey

Remember the citizen boycott war ...

Evian water and they said no like french fries or something.
  4. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +30 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

Fact if it weren't for the French coming in on our side in the revolutionary war there would be no USA.
  5. Kdo5

Kdo5 Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 5 / -3

A few decades after our nation was completely divided over favoring Britain or France...both were seizing our ships too. Tis not like our relationship with France has always been rosy.
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  6. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +626 / 4 / -13

#87 Jersey

They didn't quit back then ... lucky for us.
  7. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

It seems like a little bit of a hyperbolic statement... not sure what he's basing that on. He may be privy to information we are not about this topic however. It doesn't seem like an accurate statement on its face, but I haven't read it in context.
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  8. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

I think it's personal to President Obama as his grandfather was tortured by the British in Kenya. When seen in this perspective it explains the returning of the Churchill bust to Great Britain and the above statement re France.

Beatings and abuse made Barack Obama’s grandfather loathe the British - Times Online
  9. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +626 / 4 / -13

#87 Jersey

Personally I can see this opinion if he has it ... but we have had a very close relationship with Great Britain for a while. Perhaps the war has something to do with this also. Perhaps he would like to distance the partners in crime thing as our relationship with Great Britain revolves mainly around the military.

funny when I was a bit younger and young people would visit Ireland and France every one would say the Irish love us and like to party with us and the French kind of despise us ... that was like the 80's or so. Times change everything I guess. Irish still love us though ... we have a partying affiliation.
  10. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +378 / 1 / -9

Obama's grandfather was tortured by the British and he still holds the grudge today against todays Brits, where is the forgiveness from this beautiful liberal, liberals are not supposed to harbor hate.

President Jug Ears doesn't speak for the American People when he says "France is our greatest ally" the American people know what France thinks of us.
  11. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +199 / 7 / -24

Maybe congress can do something really meaningful, like rekindling the "Freedom Fries" debate.. or some of the mediots can discuss how our country is being taken over by "Target"...

Tune in the talk shows will ramp it up big time and turn it into the faux outrage du jour..
  12. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Obama: "France is our greatest ally!"

Canada: "Huh?"
  13. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Britain, too. That's what I'm a little baffled about. I don't know why one, as a politician during a diplomatic effort, would point out on country as a greater ally than another. Seems like it would alienate other allies. Then again, this kind of thing probably happens a lot in international politics, so it's probably no big deal. I just am really curious at what would have made him (or more likely, his speech writer) put this line in the speech. Just make it "one of our greatest allies" even, then it's not such an exclusive statement.
  14. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

True.
    It's like calling someone your "best friend" in the presence of all your other friends and your wife. Wife's thinking, "Oh, really!", and someone else is thinking, "What a kizzazz!"
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  15. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +213 / 3 / -10

I'd take the British over the all the wusses in France any day.

Look at all the violence in France over raising the retirement age from 60 to 62!!! Are you frikkn' kiddn' me?:rolleyes:

His statement certainly does not reflect the opinion of the people of this nation. Honestly, it's pretty tough to defend Obama on this. It's one of the stupidest things he's said since voted into office.
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  16. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

I'll take ten Canadians over 20 Brits or 30 French. The Canadian French and English are decended from the baddest, craziest outcasts from both those countries. Plus they're our neighbors and have our back when we need them, and feel free to criticize us whenever we have it coming. Love that about them.
  17. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

More "smart diplomacy", I guess. What does GB have to do to get some love? France has hardly been an ally in the war on terror.
  18. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +346 / 6 / -7

The French soldiers who gave their life in Afghanistan would be surprised to read this.
  19. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

You are correct. I was thinking of the NATO troops who are not allowed to serve in combat roles in that theater or who are restricted from serving in areas "with snow".

France has been helpful in Afghanistan. Not so much with Iran...as for Iraq, I think we both know where each other stands so let's let that dog lie.

France has certainly not had the level of commitment that the UK has had, so it is a little surprising to hear them described as our "greatest ally".
  20. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +88 / 7 / -11

#37 Jersey

Coalition casualties in Afghanistan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Who cares what Obama says, this is how politicians talk to each other. He could meet in a month with the Australian and Canadian premieres, and say the same thing. It's just political speak.

Saudi Arabia and Russia are also considered allies. :pUKE