Welcome to PatsFans.com

Obama/Cheney speeches today

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Stokes, May 21, 2009.

1. Stokes

Stokes In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Here are links to their remarks, apologies if this was posted elsewhere.

Remarks of President Obama on Guantanamo Bay - Boston.com

Full text of Dick Cheney's speech - The Boston Globe

I have to say I thought Cheney did a nice job in his speech (I know, I know...). Here was one part amidst all the waterboarding hysteria that I don't think gets enough play:

"This might explain why President Obama has reserved unto himself the right to order the use of enhanced interrogation should he deem it appropriate...Yet having reserved for himself the authority to order enhanced interrogation after an emergency, you would think that President Obama would be less disdainful of what his predecessor authorized after 9/11. It's almost gone unnoticed that the president has retained the power to order the same methods in the same circumstances."

Also liked his mention of Obama being selectively transparent when it suits his political needs, but closing up shop when the information damages his case.

I haven't had a chance to do more than skim the Obama speech yet, I'll reserve comment until I have time to give it a more thorough reading. Anyone else hear/read these? Any thoughts on the balance between ends and means? On the morality of weighing abuse of a few against the possible death of many? It is to me a fascinating and difficult debate. I would say that as a conservative I am happy to see Cheney out there defending his actions and challenging the decision making of the Obama admin, something members of Congress really should be doing for themselves but seem afraid to do. Sad that nobody but an already reviled former VP with no political future is the only one to step to bat for policies that may have gone too far but also may have kept us safe from another AQ attack.

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +411 / 12 / -26

Heard bits of both on the radio, both well delivered and both made good points.. did not hear the whole thing so have to reserve judgement..

3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Dick Cheney is a Kunt.

4. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

sorry....

Dick Cheney is a HORRIBLE Kunt!

5. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  6. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -12

Ah yes you usual deep analysis...:rolleyes:

7. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Ughhh...he really doesn't deserve my analysis, the dude can go to hell, and probably will.

here goes, only because you asked for it PF13

Dick Cheney is unlike any other entity to hold the office of VP and also tpo exit it. Let take the last VP for example. Al Gore shut his mouth for the most part during Bush's first few years, heck....he even conceded a national election when he had a majority of votes. He then went out and won a Nobel prize for his work on climate awareness.

Dick Cheney has written a book, criticised almost all of Obama's decisions about reversing such controversal topics as TORTURE and pre-emptive war. Even someone as dumb as our last president is smart enough to understand that the current one needs his support, even if his support is mere silence.

for a past administration to question people's patriotism on almost every level if they dared to disagee with the Bush regime to go right out only weeks after being let out in office and question the current president is fukin FANTASTIC.

As I started off with, Dick Cheney is writing a book. A guy who has raped teh tax ppayer for his stock in Haliburton, a guy who has raped our nation's reputation on false evidence and fake wars, a guy who gave the greenlight for torture. A guy who we let walk and talk now without being checked...a guy who seems to be free of guilt for his actions....

A KUNT.

thats the best way I can describe this......thing. If you believe and listen to a goddamn word he says, then you are an unamerican terrorist. YOU approve of torturing people. YOU believe in bombing unarmed nations based on evidence YOU created....and cited. YOU agree that electrocuting american troops in the shower deserves a bonus. YOU wish to pollute the environment. You are the worst kind of scum in a pond full of bull$h!t.

this a-hole deserves ZERO. In a perfect world he should be senetenced to death.

I hope we never meet Dick Cheney.....I fukin HATE YOU!

8. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I'm likin' Cheney more and more............he has a profound effect on certain laughable types

9. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -12

If Dick Cheney is known by his enemies he is a great guy.

10. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

thats 2 votes that cheney is a great guy.....

I'll stick to my side, that hes a complete a-hole and a paranoid war criminal.

this review of The Dark side says it best: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sandy-goodman/stop-the-presses-cheneys_b_204812.html

What made Cheney's influence so perfidious was the combination of his profound panic over the 9/11 attacks (and the mysterious anthrax "attacks" in the following month) and his absolutist view of presidential prerogatives. The attacks apparently unnerved Cheney to the point of his imagining Saddam Hussein to be undeterrable, an al Qaeda collaborator, and brimming with weapons of mass destruction. "I don't know him anymore," said Brent Scowcroft, former National Security Adviser to George H.W. Bush. According to Lawrence Wilkerson, [Secretary of State] Powell's chief of staff, "Cheney was traumatized by 9/11. The poor guy became paranoid." Having underestimated the al Qaeda threat before 9/11, Cheney overcompensated; in the weeks following the attack he travelled with a doctor as well as a duffel bag containing a gas mask and a biochemical survival suit.

11. NEPatriot

NEPatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

What do we learn after hearing a speech of Obama and Cheney?

Cheney prefered the use of waterboarding to question terrorists to save our lives.

Obama doesn't prefer this method because it's cruety.However, he voted 3 times to let the baby die in Illinoine if an abortion was done.

Is Obama still a lesser evil?

12. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +714 / 2 / -9

13. NEPatriot

NEPatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Do you know what people are saying?

Cheney is tough on terrorist and Obama.:D:singing: Cheney in 2012????

14. PatsFanInMaine

PatsFanInMaine Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Sorry, you are wrong about Gore keeping quite.
    The Weekly Standard

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  15. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Good One!
    :rofl::rofl:

16. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I think this entire 'emergence' of Cheney is fascinating especially given Bush's total silence on the matter. Cheney's daughter is coming on the scene though, very well-spoken woman, obviously intelligent, definitely politically engaged, and she's standing by her father's motives for speaking out, of course.

Have things become so insane that Dick Cheney, Mr. NORAD, Sir Haliburton is now the voice of reason? I think Cheney was compelling but I'd love to know his true motives, just because one of the reasons he's so compelling is that he's doing this alone.

The FBI claims they got info without introducing torture and supposedly there's a bit of a border war between the FBI and the CIA anyway so you have to wonder if we'll ever know the truth.

The US has always engaged in illegal activities so honestly I don't see that aspect of our defense changing a whole lot no matter what happens but it's the hypocrisy that bothers me. We can pass as many laws as we want and prosecute as many torturers as we want, but there will always be things we don't know about. Black Ops, counterintelligence, asassins, economic hitmen,private mercenaries; the list goes on. None of that's going to end over this debate but the Cheney momentum's still fascinating.

Every time some politician talks about dealing with terrorists I can't help but think whatever passes will somehow end up being applicable to American citizens. If we can be defined as threats to our own country then the same laws will apply.

17. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +102 / 7 / -14

#37 Jersey

He had queen Olbermann all in a lather tonight, it was pure comedy.

18. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

There is a huge portion of Star Wars nerds who root for the Empire... THis thread is a perfect example of that kind of that kind of backwards sentiment. THey love torture, confrontation, totalitarianism, and complete disregard for Constitutional law.

Big Dick CHeney is their hero, and they'll both try and distance themselves from him (when it's inconvenient) and applaud him out each side of their mouth. It's what they do, and have done on message boards like these since the Boy King's lies about Iraq began pushing through the soil.

Meanwhile, Dr. No seemed ready to keel over at several points during his awkward speech.

19. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -12

HD clueless as usual thanks for pointing this out.

HD get back to us when the dems fund closing Gitmo.

BO is a hypocrite and liar, he is keeping the military tribunals he decried, he has pulled out of Iraq as he said, he has essentially kept the Bush policies he inherited, while attacking Bush for doing the same things.

BO is a clown.

20. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

He has pulled out of Iraq? Are you talking from your sphincter again, agent 13?

Yup...