Welcome to PatsFans.com

Obama Being Compared to Palin

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, Aug 30, 2008.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,332 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

Seems like this is working exactly as MCain wanted it to work. When was the last time we had a candidate of 1 party being compared to the VP of the other party? The media is all over it from this angle and McCain gets it all for FREE ... negating all the extra $$$ Obama once had.

2. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

Maybe as of right now.

But Palin hasn't been on the national stage yet.

The debates haven't occurred.

Oil hasn't spiked as it will after this hurricane.

there are too many factors and it's too early.

the novelty needs to wear off before the dust settles.

3. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +107 / 15 / -9

Obama is talking about major tax increases for the oil companies, I think they will sell oil for a loss if they have to prior to the election if it helps defeat Obama. I would not be suprised to see it go back in the the $2.??

4. PatFanInChina

PatFanInChina Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I agree with all three comments. This is a brilliant move by McCain. That just tells you right there that McCain is a slick and smart politician. Is this Palin dust going to settle? Definitely! But how in the world are the democrats going to attack Palin. Unless there's something major we don't know about; then I don't see no way, now how, and don't forget that she's also the only governor of a state that borders two countries.

The last two days I've been snooping around on the hillaryclintonforum.com ( http://www.hillaryclintonforum.net/discussion/forumdisplay.php?f=84) and it's very interesting reading the posts. 90% of the people there are going goo goo gaa gaa over Palin and talking about that if they vote for Palin, it will help Hillary in 2012. I even read posts from lifelong die-hard democrats that are livid about the Hyllary circus and for the time being go to the other side. And that's even the die hard feminists.

5. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +340 / 12 / -11

Do you have some links? Frankly, all I see are stories on Gustav on network news. And, I would think his 12 years teaching Constitutional law and 12 years serving a far larger constituency than either Alaska or Walissa would make the comparison favorable to him, except perhaps on shows run by right wing pundits, of course.

6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +511 / 14 / -28

Gas has risen pretty consistently for the past 8 years, but interestingly and somehow it always goes down for the election.. ain't that interesting.

7. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

[​IMG]

OPEC was founded in 1960 and took on new members until 1973. That's about when the prices de-stabilized. The price of oil is more influenced by market manipulation than by supply and demand. Look at the price stability from 1950 to 1973!
    Also, look at the price change from 2000 to today? What happened? HMMMMM.......

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  8. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,332 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

Did you read PatsfaninChina ... right above you?
    Which BTW is what I said a few days ago and you dismissed it?
    you haven't seen it because you troll the same lefty sights that's why.

9. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +340 / 12 / -11

You said the media, but you were referring to a discussion board?

10. MrBigglesWorth

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

I'm referring to the Iran situation and if it erupts and essentially 40% of the oil goes throught the Straits of Hormuz. The timing on that will be interesting.

But you also have very good and valid points.

11. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,332 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

Your a big enough boy to do the searching.
    Gustav is a bigger story ... you know that as well.

12. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +303 / 9 / -12

13. ljuneau

ljuneau Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

14. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +511 / 14 / -28

Hardly think that it is a good comparison, as all it does it put out the same old crap.. she bordered two countries, is about as idiotic as it comes.. most state execs have minimal contact if none with foreign countries they border, does Rick Perry deal with Calderone, does Baldacci deal with Harper?? I think not, I thought it was constitionally dictated who can enter into treaties.. anyways it goes on and on and on and on and on.. same old shyt in different package, no matter how you package it it is still the same..

I also remember reading somewhere that she is no longer in the union..

15. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +710 / 11 / -7

For a year and a half, she has been the chief exec of a state the size of a middle-sized city (626,000 people, or about one ninth the size of the greater Boston metropolitan area).

Prior to that -- just a year and a half ago -- she was the mayor of a small town (population at the time just over 5000 or 6000, depending who you read).

Virginia borders the Atlantic. That does not mean that Kaine or Warner can put on their business cards "Swift and Powerful Monarch of the Oceans."

Illinois, by contrast, has 12,800,000 residents, as of the 2006 numbers. That's about 20 times the size of Alaska. The US Senate, of course, represents about 300,000,000 people (that is, the whole U.S.)

Obama: 4 years serving in the Senate (He was elected to the Senate in November 2004 with 70% of the vote.) He represented a state of 12,800,000 on a stage dealing with 300,000,000.

Palin: 1 1/2 years as Governor (less than half the length of time.) Deals with the affairs of 626,000 Alaskans (about a twentieth the base population.) Does not represent them vis a vis other states. The last time she was this close to a "national" stage she was walking across it in high heels and a swimsuit. (Don't call me sexist; her own car has a bumper sticker touting her as the "hottest governor" of the "coolest state.")

To top it all off, she's the governor of a state where you don't pay income tax, the state pays you, because of the pipeline and the oil revenues. The companies pay for use to the state, the state gives it back to the citizens. Badda bing badda boom, tax genius. Except when she was mayor of that town of under 6,000 -- you know, less than a couple of years ago -- she managed to run up a 20 million dollar debt (or $3,000 per resident.)

To put this in perspective, it would be the equivalent of a mayor of incorporated Boston putting the city proper (not metro area) 2 billion dollars in the red in a single year.

Of course, once again, that might be a plus as potential Republican president. :)

Yeah. Other than the miniscule size of the places she's represented, the appalling job she's managed to do even in a town of 6,000, and the multiple-year deficit in comparative time in what we'll generously call (in Palin's case) a major office, her experience is sort of like Obama's.

People believe what they want to believe, but to anybody with half a brain this line of argument is a joke.

PFnV

16. ljuneau

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Obama wasn't an executive leader in Illinois, so this playing with numbers doesn't really mean much.

Obama has basically done nothing remarkable in the Senate, if you exclude running a presidential campaign.

Good point, you can thank Palin for that, too. Oh and this is the first time I have heard of a deficit. Everywhere I have read, notes how she cut wasteful spending (BIG TIME) and introduced a profit for the state. Even set up a state savings account. You'll have to link your source to the deficit thingy, since I've yet to see this anywhere - except your post.

Appalling? This is news to me. 80% approval rating. LOL, appalling, LOL

17. MrBigglesWorth

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

Cmon. BB/Pioli and I are the same. Heck I play fantasy football and have been successful.

Let me draft the NFL players

18. MrBigglesWorth

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

She should be fired if she did bring a deficit as governor. It's a no brainer. Alaska has oil and companies want it so charge the companies and give it to people directly or indirectly.

How is that going to work for the United States? It just doesn't work on a national level.

I wouldn't applaud her on a no-brain decision.

19. ljuneau

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Again, with the deficit thing. The problem is you're factually incorrect. She introduced a profit for the state by cutting a huge amount of wasteful spending (hear about the ebay story?).

20. MrBigglesWorth

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

how am I incorrect? talk about splitting hairs.

and even if we did talk about profits. that is much easier to do on a small scale state as Alaska than a national level.

heck eliminating the Big Dig would have saved tons, but that is primarily a state decision.

in all honesty... how are people going to vote... just because she's the vp candidate? just because she's a repub? or what she has accomplished in alaska?

i will say if people jump party lines or vote for her just because she is a woman it will be a sad day in history. that's as bad as voting for obama because he is black or mccain because he's been a POW. or is white.

i hope the majority of people vote for the candidates based on what their platform is and their belief that the candidate will actually do it.