Welcome to PatsFans.com

Obama Approval Ratings

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by State, Jul 8, 2009.

1. State

State In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -8

#70 Jersey

2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +778 / 17 / -23

#24 Jersey

You'll soon be told how right leaning Rasmussen is; but that doesn't matter, the trend is what's important. Unfortunately the American public is fickle and this can change any second; but it's good news for those of us hoping for the Republicans to get some seats back in the midterms, not to mention it should make all congressmen skittish about blind support for the obamans.

3. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

b.......b.......b.......but its only been 6 months

4. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +778 / 17 / -23

#24 Jersey

And it's still b.......b.......b.......Bush's fault.

5. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +567 / 22 / -19

I'm a little surprised that Obama's support remains as strong as it is, with a general approval rating 58% favorable, 37% negative.

Pollster.com: Obama Job Approval - New "All Adults" Chart

Most people are not like us. They are simply interested in results. And so far the results are not great. But, people still seem to be giving Obama the benefit of the doubt. I think that if health care reform and cap and trade pass, it will be good for the economy. But, that's because I think capitalism needs to dynamic to play off of. If neither of those pass, it will spell trouble for the economy, as well as the Democrats and Obama, even with their demographic advantages.

6. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +778 / 17 / -23

#24 Jersey

They only have two recent polls, Gallup and Rasmussen, it's not as wide looking as it appears unless you like old data. Say what you want about Rasmussen but he had obama +28 and +35 (strong approve minus strong disapprove first, total approve minus total disapprove second) on inauguration day and now has him at -3 and +5. Same pollster, clear trend.

7. State

Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -8

#70 Jersey

8. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +778 / 17 / -23

#24 Jersey

Updating with today's poll. he's now at -5 and +4. A precipitous drop from a m onth ago when he was +7 and +13. It's been a continuous drop just about; I post this, again, understanding that one big smile of his could give him a big gain.

9. Patters

Ratings:
    +567 / 22 / -19

I like Pollster.com's aggregate approach, which uses only mainstream surveys, including Rasmussen. As far as an individual polling concern, I've always trusted Gallup to do an honest job:

Obama Averages 61% Job Approval in June

Fox, surprisingly, also seems to do a pretty good job (though occasionally they are called out for asking blatantly biased questions) on polls.

Fox Poll: Obama Approval At62% - Real Clear Politics – TIME.com

At any rate, Obama's numbers are trending the wrong way, no matter which poll you look at.

10. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

bush = pig
    obama = pig + lipstick

11. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +778 / 17 / -23

#24 Jersey

12. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +778 / 17 / -23

#24 Jersey

That poll was from June 11, almost a month ago. Rasmussen had him at 58% back then. Now Rasmussen has him at 52%.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  13. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,118 / 3 / -10

Obama is nothing but a politically correct joke, a poster boy, now we have to pay for the foolishness.

14. State

Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -8

#70 Jersey

I think it should be said that this drop has occurred despite the media's active cheerleading for the occupant of the Oval Office.

Some people laugh at this, like DarrylS, then when I show him anecdotal but nonetheless telling evidence, he dismisses this.

Obama himself joked that everyone in the press corps voted for him, except maybe Fox News. Sometimes the obvious truth is often difficult to see.

15. Patters

Ratings:
    +567 / 22 / -19

I think the media likes Obama and his family and depending on what people watch on tv, listen to on radio, or read in newspapers, they could be influenced favorably or unfavorably. But, my guess is most people are not influenced one way or the other because they are not terribly interested in politics. And those who are interested in politics are less easily influenced. So, who are we talking about? The handful of blank slates that pay attention to news and politics. I think that's a very tiny number of people, and they're at least as likely to watch Fox or listen to Rush as they are to watch Stewart or read the New York Times.

16. CrazyDave

CrazyDave In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I guess when your approval ratings are so high, they have to come down a little eventually.

17. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +778 / 17 / -23

#24 Jersey

A little ? He was +35 on inauguration day, today he was +4. That's 31% who have moved from Approve to Disapprove. If that's a little, a lot would be a single digit approval I guess.

Again, I point out that one big smile and this could reverse quickly but it's fun for now.

18. alvinnf

alvinnf In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +15 / 2 / -0

I think we found your niche..... :D

19. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +896 / 7 / -3

Polls.:rolleyes: Obviously trends can give you an idea of where the publics sentiments are moving, but polls are what they are overall. GW was once at 90%, and ended up at 27%(er...PC :D). In the end it's the policies that are important, and that's why I put little weight into what the public thinks. This is a public that has a 30-40% moron factor. The American Idol loving, Michael Jackon kiddie didler adoring, Batchelorette watching rejects that comprise a sizable portion of those polled, carry little weight with me.

Obama has been in office for 6 months, so it's still very early in his presidency. While I don't like a lot of what he's done, and see him as I figured he'd be, extremely liberal, and in over his head, I don't think he's had nearly enough time to be judged. He did not step into a good situation, and any changes, or policies aimed at righting the ship, will need time to play themselves out. Again though, I think his policies are more harmful, than helpful, but I could be wrong.

20. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +778 / 17 / -23

#24 Jersey

Well the numbers don't lie :)

For the record, I expect obama to be re-elected because he has that personal "it" factor, much like Bush II did at his re-election time (the latter really lost his edge after that). Even though a lot of people had moved on the war, Bush II had something about him back then, a charisma. So does obama. However I expect Republicans to make up major ground in the midterms.