Welcome to PatsFans.com

Obama and the cross: A double standard?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, May 19, 2008.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +901 / 7 / -3

Everyone must remember the controversy over this...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8xn7uSHtkuA

Which makes me wonder about...

[​IMG]

Obama and the cross: A double standard?

Much conversation this Sunday morning on the talk shows about the flyer that Barack Obama is distributing in Kentucky about the role of Christian faith in his life.

But another Republican, ex-Arkansas governor and former presidential candidate Mike Huckabee, had a bit of a gripe. Remember Huckabee's famous Christmas ad, in which the camera slowly pans over his shoulder to reveal something that looks like a white cross in the background?

"I think it's interesting that nobody's jumping on Obama for this very blatant cross in his ad. And I took grief for months," Huckabee said on NBC's "Meet the Press." "I'm still taking it, over something that wasn't even a cross. It was a bookshelf, for heaven's sake."

He said a double standard existed for Republicans and Democrats who invoke their faith in campaigns. "If Republicans even get near a church, we are accused of embracing it," Huckabee said.

He then, however, praised Obama as a "person of faith."

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2008/05/obama-and-the-c.html

I have a hard time believing the Huckster on the sincerity of that bookshelf. Still though, why did he get grief, and Obama is not?

2. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +49 / 16 / -3

Because Obama is Jesus, Huckabee is confused.

3. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I posted this a few days ago. Almost everyone ignored it. Patters said he'd vote for him but might not contribute to him.

4. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I hadn't even seen this. It might hit the news circuit, but I doubt it. It just won't get the play that Huckabee's similar situation did. I am curious to know why people are crying about how it crosses the line between church and state. Oh I know why, nevermind.

5. Stokes

Stokes In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Well, to be fair Obama does need to advertise his christian faith to help dispel rumors that he is a muslim, so in that respect it makes sense for him to run ads embracing the role of the church in his life.

Now, can we find some hidden muslim symbology in this picture?

(kidding, kidding)

6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +901 / 7 / -3

It's absolutely understandable for him to run an ad proclaiming his faith. The problem I have it how it's ok, only when it suits certain people. Talking about a "kingdom on Earth", or running an ad with a cross, is acceptable, while calling yourself a "christian leader", or having a rolling bookshelf (my arse it was just that), is not. I watch Hardball all the time, and Huckabee's two uses of his faith were questioned, and criticized. Obama's is not. For certain candidate's is a flaw, yet for others it's a necessary attribute. Are people being treated fairly?