Welcome to PatsFans.com

Obama and McCain on MNF

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Wildo7, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +47 / 16 / -3

This might be the most frivolous of points, but I think it does emphasize the theme of the Obama campaign whether it's true or just a slogan.

Both candidates were asked what they would like to change as President in the world of Sports.

Obama answered that he'd like to get rid of the BCS and McCain said he'd like to rid sports of steroids.

Now, both candidates were obviously BSing, but I think there's a subtle genius here for Obama. The American public largely rebuked congress for sticking it's nose in the Mitchell report soap opera, and have basically shown that they don't like steroids in sports, but they don't like government in sports either. McCain's answer is a reflection of the actions of an unpopular congress, and one that the American people do not want to see wasting time on Steroids, when there are issues of so much more importance, and this sentiment was largely echoed by people on bot the left and the right.

Obama's answer showed him to be down-to-earth and somewhat positive; sports are fun and he likes college football enough to make it more fun. The vast majority of people want the BCS system to go in favor of playoffs and they want a president that they "can have a beer with" not some crotchety old man who keeps complaining about steroids.

I normally don't like to focus on "campaigning" and the tactics of what the candidates say, but this was something that stuck out in my mind after I watched it. Yes I'm biased, but I don't buy into everything Obama sells, mostly because I don't need to be sold to, I need to be talked to. But as far as the narrative for both campaigns; Obama being "change" and "positive" and McCain representing the status quo and negativity, this little meaningless interview was a perfect microcosm of why the Obama campaign, right or wrong, has been so successful.

2. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Did either of them comment on those timeouts, Gaffney's dropped pass and THAT personal foul? :mad:

3. jcdavey

jcdavey In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

the way i saw it, obama came off like an actual fan, and mccain tried to say what he thought people want to hear

he seemed out of touch

4. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +47 / 16 / -3

well that was certainly more concise than my post. That's exactly how I felt.

5. slowpoke2

slowpoke2 On the Roster

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

good stuff :rofl:

6. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +602 / 16 / -15

#24 Jersey

Wow that's a shocker. I thought McCain was pretty damn funny. Obama - I conveniently wasn't in the room at the time.

7. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,609 / 9 / -19

#61 Jersey

Good post, I got the same feeling. When Obama said what he said, it really put sports in the proper perspective, which is they're all about competition and fun for the fans. It was a breath of fresh air. McCain's response about steroids was just stale and kind of dour. I also thought it was interesting that Obama didn't take the bait from Berman about the Bears winning. Say what you want about Obama, the man is sharp.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008