Welcome to PatsFans.com

Obama 1 Republicans 0? We'll see.

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Jul 12, 2011.

?

If it comes down to it, which do you prefer?

1. Default

44.4%
  2. Higher taxes

55.6%
  1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

Just imagine the sweating brows on Wall Street as the U.S. teeters on default. Just imagine the chaos in the ranks of the corporate and Republican shills right now. If the debt limit isn't raised, it will be a disaster especially for the people the Republican Party is sworn to protect. But, Obama wants tax hikes. Obama won't give in. What are the Republicans to do?
  2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +378 / 4 / -2

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure,”. “It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies. … Leadership means that ‘the buck stops here.’ Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better. I therefore intend to oppose the effort to increase America’s debt limit.”
  3. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +476 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

Point taken.

Speaker John Boehner, House Majority Leader Eric Cantor, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, and Senate Minority Whip Jon Kyl combined to vote for a debt limit increase 19 times during the presidency of George W. Bush.

During Bush Presidency, Current GOP Leaders Voted 19 Times To Increase Debt Limit By $4 Trillion | ThinkProgress

Counter point given.
  4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +378 / 4 / -2

Which reinforces the opinion of many that it shouldn't be raised. Obviously it will be, but I'd only vote to do so if there were significant cuts and/or a balanced budget amendment attached to do doing. All the pols are frauds and they're leading us toward being Greece.
  5. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

False choice Patters, the incoming revenue is more than enough to service our debt and avoid default.
  6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +241 / 8 / -26

Wall Street and the investor class will never let us default.. there is too much money invested and too much to lose.
  7. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +305 / 3 / -13

Raise taxes on our wealthiest citizens, but not one cent on our middle class. But sadly, that won't help much at all.
  8. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

I don't think it's a false choice. I think it's the one that Obama is giving the Republicans. He seems to be saying to them, "Raise taxes on the wealthy and we'll cut entitlements, or else we'll default." I think Obama has the cards, since the wealthy are a key constituent of the Republicans, and the Republican old guard is not made up of Tea Partiers. You may not like it, but right now, Obama is being quite brave and trying to force Congress into addressing everything from Social Security to Medicare to taxes. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

So far, it's now the Republicans who now appear to be trying to put compromises forward, and Boehner had warned the Republicans that they lose leverage with the passage of time. Another problem for them is that Obama is exposing the rift between the Tea Partiers and mainstream Republicans/corporate a shills.
  9. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +390 / 6 / -9

What crap, 13. So which soldiers don't you pay next month, because you only have what money is coming in this month to pay obligations? Or do you redirect the entitlement monies to other parts of the government -- i.e., not send out the social security checks?

You can't say "I'm just paying interest on my debt" and shut down the rest, no matter what your talking points say... unless you intend to steal the money from things like Social Security and Medicare and spread it all around the government.

They've done all the slick tricky dance moves they know already, that's why they pushed out the deadline from spring to August. You & the rest of the rabid right who want to paint this as a false choice are just engaging in magical thinking again.

By the way, from the looks of McConnell's "I'm going to cry you big bully" speech, the kabuki theatre appears to be over, and your treasonous buddies lost.

God bless America.

PFnV
  10. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +161 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

I voted for the default option as there was not a reduce spending option. Increasing taxes does not mean increased revenue. Ask the former Gov. of NY about that. Ask Bill Clinton how his luxury tax on the rich worked out.
  11. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +426 / 6 / -7

This poll does a terrific job delineating who the extremists are on this forum.