Welcome to PatsFans.com

Obama’s Stirring UN Speech: John Avlon

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +569 / 22 / -19

(More than four lines quoted, since I'm mostly quoting from Obama's speech, not the article.)

A powerful and beautiful defense of American values.

Obama's Stirring U.N. Speech: John Avlon - The Daily Beast

The president’s recent speeches have not always lived up to his reputation for dazzling oratory. But his UN address exceeded expectations. John Avlon on why this was one of his best.

But President Obama’s fourth speech to the United Nation’s General Assembly rose to the occasion and to the heights to which he is capable. It was a vision and values speech grounded in the tumultuous facts on the world stage today, using the legacy of the slain Stevens as a narrative frame for the American spirit and the spirit of freedom that extends beyond borders.

"Today we must reaffirm that our future will be determined by people like Chris Stevens, and not by his killers. Today we must declare that this violence and intolerance has no place among our united nations.

“We have taken these positions because we believe that freedom and self-determination are not unique to one culture. These are not simply American values or Western values; they are universal values. And even as there will be huge challenges to come with the transition to democracy, I am convinced that ultimately government of the people, by the people, and for the people is more likely to bring about the stability, prosperity, and individual opportunity that serve as a basis for peace in our world.

“We understand why people take offense to this video because millions of our citizens are among them. I know there are some who ask why don’t we just ban such a video. The answer is enshrined in our laws. Our Constitution protects the right to practice free speech.

"Here in the United States, countless publications provoke offense. Like me, the majority of Americans are Christian, and yet we do not ban blasphemy against our most sacred beliefs. As president of our country, and commander in chief of our military, I accept that people are going to call me awful things every day, and I will always defend their right to do so.

"There are no words that excuse the killing of innocents. There is no video that justifies an attack on an embassy. There is no slander that provides an excuse for people to burn a restaurant in Lebanon, or destroy a school in Tunis, or cause death and destruction in Pakistan.

"It is time to marginalize those who, even when not directly resorting to violence, use hatred of America or the West or Israel as the central organizing principle of politics, for that only gives cover and sometimes makes an excuse for those who do resort to violence. That brand of politics, one that pits East against West and South against North, Muslims against Christians and Hindu and Jews, can’t deliver on the promise of freedom.

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam. But to be credible, those who condemn that slander must also condemn the hate we see in the images of Jesus Christ that are desecrated or churches that are destroyed, or the Holocaust that is denied.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +816 / 26 / -33

Getting very good reviews...

Where is the apologies???

There is none..

3. khayos

khayos In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

4. Patters

Ratings:
    +569 / 22 / -19

What a ridiculous article. In fact, "with the advancing of Union forces," it did not bring a new day. First the North had to defeat those backward folks from the South. Advancement alone didn't do anything. What an idiot Obama is. Unless of course he was speaking metaphorically, in which case what he said is accurate -- perhaps that right wing rag needs to learn a little more about how the English language works.

5. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,988 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

As it should be ... so well done Barack ... we must never apologize for being the country we are ... except for some of those drones perhaps.

6. Triumph

Triumph Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +456 / 64 / -35

#32 Jersey

4 more years!

7. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +498 / 9 / -4

#75 Jersey

Love the second part of that. Hate the first part. Not sure why he chose to frame it that way. Future must not belong to those who "slander the prophet"? Really?

8. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Well, at least Patradomous and 13 won't be getting any mea culpas from Daryll since Barry made it to The View and the UN!

He's Magical!

9. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

What don't you like? Do you think the future does belong to those who slander the profit of Islam? Or maybe you don't agree that Islam should be allowed to have a profit? How do you like the second part while having a problem with the first?:confused:

10. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +452 / 12 / -14

I missed the part when he met with any heads of state..... :rolleyes:

11. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Elizabeth Hasselbeck is the head of the state of confusion

12. Patters

Ratings:
    +569 / 22 / -19

It just goes to show how damaging the right wing is. Obama gives a stirring speech in defense of American values in front of an international audience, and conservatives make overarching efforts to criticize him for it. It just supports the belief that the far right is more anti-Obama than they are pro-America. Perhaps there are times they should just be quiet?

13. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +816 / 26 / -33

Political posturing usurps common sense..

14. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +552 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

It's too bad it was given at such an insignificant place as the United Nations.....honestly, Americans just don't care about the UN and what Americans think is what matters in this country

15. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +552 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

I voted for Barak Obama and I'm not from the "the right"....but I am also not "for" Obama any longer. Not being "for" someone does not mean one is "against" them.

You often (very often) need to get a deeper understanding of the human psyche Patters....you can be shallow.

16. Hebeill

Hebeill 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

17. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +552 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

You can laugh all you want, it's a free country Heb. But what I wrote is an ABSOLUTE truth, not an opinion son.

What would be funny is if I was one those dopes who felt compelled to only vote for one party under the illusion that one party is more righteous than the other.

Wouldn't you agree Heb?

In your brief life, how many republicans have you voted for Heb?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  18. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +816 / 26 / -33

It is the most prominent international stage in the world, can you please articulate a more significant place????

Not really sure what you have in mind.....

19. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +552 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

My, my Darryl. I have a question for you.

Why do you try so darn hard to "articulate" your opinion as if you're taking a course. All we're here for is to express our opinion, not to study facts or to make great/informed posts.

Do you ever lighten-up in your personal life or are you always so darn serious? Life isn't that serious.

The UN is a very corrupt organization. And it allows PSYCHOS like Ahmadinejad to speak freely. It also attempts to get nations to adopt "World laws" like "no insulting religions" laws.

My home is more significant than the UN and so is yours.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  20. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +816 / 26 / -33

Here is what you said:

I merely asked what you felt was a more appropriate stage for him to deliver his comments???..

Now you want to bar the leader of Iran, because you disagree with his opinions..

United Nations Headquarters is under the administration of the United Nations, and is subject to most local, state, and federal laws, and whether or not you like it or not he has the freedom to say what he wishes... there are no laws forcing you to listen.