PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What's with all these major TV networks being dropped from cable and satellite companies

AzorianPats

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
So I have Verizon FiOS for cable, just received an email from them saying as of today, all Fox programs have been dropped because of contract disputes. Not only that but for the last couple of weeks on the radio, I've been hearing CBS is doing the same thing to Dish network customers.

Now I ask WTF is going on? And this better not interfere with my Pats games!!!!!

The networks want more money.

Yep and it is happening with the most popular networks, as the network gets more popular, fox and amc as an example, the cable providers ask for more money when the contract come due. When the network i.e. Fox or amc right now, say they won't negotiate the cable or provider they drop them. It all works out in the end and in most cases as they never actually drop and if they do it is for a short period of time. It is all about greed on both sides. AMC is in danger of getting dropped by dish and DTV also.

I have Fios and it won't affect the Pats for the rest of the year but will affect the NFC playoffs but not the SB. I can stream Fox off of my laptop and plug directly into my TV at least for local programming. I'm going to have to see if they do it for national programming.

Making the viewers pawns in these disputes is infuriating... someday one of these insanely profitable entities will miscalculate and this brinkmanship will backfire - the viewers/subscribers will be lost forever. i have already installed an over-the-air antenna for free DTV (no digital box on cable)... if they screw with me too many more times i'll dump FiOS TV and go internet only. i seem to be watching just the news and football on TV more and more anyway - and i can get that for free.

It's being referred to as the "TV bubble". Some believe that due to the amount of parties involved, and the dollars invested, it could lead to another financial crisis of sorts, and change the landscape of broadcasting.

Unfortunately, the sports deals are the ones that would be held responsible for such a decline, since they are seen as the aggressive parties emptying out everyone's coffers.

Just googled it and it says only Fox 25 in Mass. In Florida with Fios and all Fox stations work perfect, so it must be isolated to only your area. I have to watch 75% of Pats games on streams anyways, so it don't matter to me.

Now I ask WTF is going on? And this better not interfere with my Pats games!!!!!

Pats have no more games on FOX scheduled. Although I guess with the new flexing rules there is a chance Pats/Dolphins or Pats/Bills has a chance to get flexed to FOX just like Pats/Bills did earlier in the season although I think it is extremely rare. I don't think the NFL would flex a game to a network that is blacked out in to 400000 households in the hometown team's market.

Last edited:
Both sides play chicken when negotiating a contract and if the situation lingers both sides lose. The Cable companies has unhappy customers and other competitors will use this to take their customers. the Net work loses viewers which equals lost advertising revenue.

That is why these situation resolve themselves quickly

Just googled it and it says only Fox 25 in Mass. In Florida with Fios and all Fox stations work perfect, so it must be isolated to only your area. I have to watch 75% of Pats games on streams anyways, so it don't matter to me.

Ya it's not a Verizon /FOX beef. It is a Verizon/Cox Media beef.

its all about the money, but the joke is on the cable companies because the networks are starting to offer ala carte services.

You can get CBS now on any device you want for $5
You will soon be able to get HBO on any device you want for around $15
That plus hulu/netflix means bye bye cable, all people will need is an internet connection.

Fox 25, or Cox Media, want more money from Verizon. They're at a standstill now. Because of this I do not get to watch the afternoon game today. I don't really care because the Patriots aren't on Fox the rest of the year. I'm sure it will get worked out in the near future, however.

I think that with an indoor digital antenna you can get Fox 25 free over-the-air. I also have Fios and just the basic bundle and I do not get NFL Network (that would be an extra $10 a month). So, I haven't been watching Thursday night games.

There is a movement going on called "cord cutting" where folks are just going with a Smart TV and they stream everything and maybe augment with an antenna. Netflix, Hulu, Amazon provide all the content provided you have internet.

I will definitely be cutting the cord when my commitment is up next summer. I'll transfer my phone number to something like Basic Talk and then just switch to "internet service only".

Before I go on my broadcast rant.. :), I would like to wish everyone a happy thanksgiving, have a great day everyone!

Problem for some of us is the NFL Sunday ticket, without it I would just stop watching the NFL entirely. I would find something else to do. That the government allowed an exclusive contract with only the NFL and DTV sucks. I have a friend at Dish, they battle this all the time, he admits that Dish is just as culpable as anyone but that when networks like Fox, AMC and others get hit shows they immediately try to renegotiate the terms (The Walking Dead) and when contracts come due it gets very nasty. He said lots of other providers wanted in on NFL Sunday Ticket and even fought it via the FCC but were denied claims saying it wasn't anti-competitive.

He has also discussed the point that while some folks are going free from cable etc. and going to the airwaves that the next thing coming is the Networks will start scrambling signals and charging if you want it, back to tech, otherwise the the ad revenue will suffer. So it wont be free forever, Im referring to cord cutting. Now while he works for a big company in this business he is pretty reasonable about what he thinks will happen, but he is very committed to the fact that cord cutting will last for a short period and then they will find a way to charge you and are already working with the large internet providers on it. Netflix, Hulu, Amazon are all already in contract discussions for the long term with major networks and outlets so it really isnt free now and wont be in the future. They also already charge you to use their service, so it isnt free. Particularly sports.

The biggest problem with cutting the cord is that the content is limited and will always be limited, paying $5 for CBS or $15 for HBO isnt really a good deal unless that is all you want to watch and then when all networks do it then next thing is your paying $60-100 for the networks you want. Im not sure I watch either of those channels, maybe CBS for football.

The tech coming out is the real threat and as a very basic example NFL Sunday ticket tracks your IP, unless you spoof it but they also have the ability to see that also via some very interesting tech and algorithms. So if your in a region where a game is on local or blacked out or in Europe or Asia you are not getting the games, believe me I have tried in those places. It is just a matter of time before the major networks have a similar approach to make sure they get your money. It is important to understand that the tech behind broadcast TV is huge, hundreds of thousands if not millions of software engineers constantly working on it. I think ultimately we are doomed to pay for the content we want to view, regardless of the insignificant cut the cord movement we see today.

I think that with an indoor digital antenna you can get Fox 25 free over-the-air. I also have Fios and just the basic bundle and I do not get NFL Network (that would be an extra $10 a month). So, I haven't been watching Thursday night games.

There is a movement going on called "cord cutting" where folks are just going with a Smart TV and they stream everything and maybe augment with an antenna. Netflix, Hulu, Amazon provide all the content provided you have internet.

I will definitely be cutting the cord when my commitment is up next summer. I'll transfer my phone number to something like Basic Talk and then just switch to "internet service only".

Hopefully google outbids everyone for Sunday Ticket and allows internet subs so anyone can have it. If that happens, I will end all TV subscriptions. I already watch all my shows via stream or torrent and watch ESPN3 for college sports.

i have dish network..so i think i am in the clear...for now

$$ hungry pricks

The issue isn't the bundle price at the promotional rates... usually $89 a month and $115 all-in with taxes, fees, and equipment (DVR) charges. That is a pretty good deal. It is when it expires and they start charging you north of $170 a month. That is when the a la carte approach starts to compete. But only if you are not a big TV watcher and only watch a few channels. Free over the air around here is generally PBS stations, WBZ and WHDH are the strongest signals. So, you can get local news, PBS, etc... but not sports. Would I get NESN or Comcast Sports for Bruins, Celtics, and Red Sox? Maybe. Could I live without ESPN and the rest of the cable channels that I watch infrequently? Maybe.

You may be right that cord cutting will be short lived. Sucks though that I won't be watching Eagles-Cowboys today. And I am paying $115 a month all-in to not watch football on Thanksgiving.

Another way to go is just switch back and forth between Verizon and Comcast. I can probably switch everything over to Comcast and get another 2 years at $89 a month.

Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving!

Last edited:
I have Direct TV. This sort of thing happens almost every year. We are treated to rolling message for a month or two, while negotiations take place. I don't think that we've lost a station for more than a week yet.

I have hulu, netflix and Prime, so I do understand unbundling options. Also Direct TV had on-demand (no extra cost) viewing for recent shows. This is most useful when the occasional storm wipes out reception.

For me, the key is the quality of the picture. IMHO, Direct TV's picture is awesome. I can't imagine going back to over the air viewing.

This is a good idea.

When there are two viable options, switching back and forth works. The only caution I would give is to make sure all the features you are used to works on the system you are changing to. For example, we are used to watching a show in one room, and finishing it in another.

Another way to go is just switch back and forth between Verizon and Comcast. I can probably switch everything over to Comcast and get another 2 years at $89 a month.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back