PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

O.T. Time for new registration rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Michael said:
This is getting ridiculous. Ban an idiotic spamming troll and he starts under a new name the next day. I think it's time to not only require an email verification to register, but disallow using any free email services such as MSN, Yahoo, Google etc. IndyStar has this procedure to keep the trolling and spamming down. I can't even register there with my dotmac account (which is a bit much considering I pay for that account).

Hahahahahaha, controlling trolls on this board, hahahahahahha

lutontown_fc said:
Extra moderation is the only answer to this problem - maybe we could have a Mod-Idol where we can vote for another 3 or 4 mods to help out.

I have seen what goes on over at indystar and it certainly hasn't been curtailed by stopping people using free accounts - there are plenty of multiple personality posters on that forum.

I wouldnt be adverse to a small fee.

The 10 day waiting period woud only discount fans that couldnt read the schedule (Raider fans) and plan in advance.

NM

We did Mod Idol on the political forum and it worked really well, IMO. Patters and bmf31c got voted in. OK, bmf later handed the baton to Free Ted Williams but now we have two mods whose views cover most of those on the board. I vote for, hmmm, let me see. Send me a PM with a financial offer (I will accept dollars at this point) and then I will decide! :D

I'm not sold on the more mods idea. I run another board, and moderating is not easy. Yeah, there are a lot of trolls here. But there are also plain old newbies, football rookies, and hotheads. That doesn't necessarily make them a troll, but they might get marked as such if pounced on too early.

As to the small fee keeping away casual posters - c'mon! How much does the average fan spend on Pats gear each year? Trips to games? Tailgate food at their own house because they don't have tickets? I think 5-10 bucks would not break the bank of anyone interested in posting. If they don't want to pay, let them lurk. Or set up a system to let a person pay another's fee. Somebody is paying for all this bandwith - it would help offset that.

I was under the impression that this site is paid for by the adverts on it - is there anyway of finding out if this covers the cost?

NM

braveht said:
Excellent idea. It would eliminate fans that join (our) board the week before their team plays (us); the more obnoxious ones may join weeks early just to satisfy their need to harass. But it would also eliminate the rare good exchange we have with opp fans.

I'm not sure I agree that the more obnoxious fans join weeks ahead. I seem to recall we had some really good football talk with the Chargers fans (with very few exceptions) and I'm sure they didn't all register weeks ahead.

Trolling is an annoyance, but an intelligent viewpoint from fans of opposing teams is a real plus.

...and by far the best tactic is to not reply to trolls no matter how much you want to jump on something they said. Trolls live for a response. Once I know someone is a troll I NEVER respond. I don't want to encourage them or bump their thread.

Last edited:
Flying Fungi said:
Sorry Michael--not sure there is an easy answer--used to be that the interweb was somewhat uniform in who was on it (I'm a 15+ year vet)--nowadays it is an amalgam, and consensus is a challenge. Regarding 'trolls', some say to not respond, others choose the ignore feature and still others like to extinguish the chumps as sport (as I did with laffy taffy last night). No one is right and no one is wrong.

In the end, patience, thicker skin and perspective are all important for a reader/poster. The world isn't perfect and it would be folly to expect that from the interweb. This isn't the 'Sims' after all... :singing:

I think that you nailed it pretty well. This whole thread is useless,IMO. Trolls are going to come.

I think Ian does a good job of taking care of those who go over the top. Maybe not as fast as some perfer, but it does get taken care of. You have really have three options, ignore them, play with them, or whine about it. The first two take care of the problem to some degree. Whining about it incourages them.

I think the board is just fine as it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back