PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

O.T. Time for new registration rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
patchick said:
I'd also be happy to pay a membership fee for this valuable service, though I recognize there are a lot of students and other loyal fans on the board for whom a fee could be a hardship..

yeah. that would be me :-(

desi-patsfan said:
i agree with you a little, but if indystar is your example of a troll free community, we definetly dont want to emulate them.

Since you folks have infested it.

QuickOutGo said:
I think registration fees are a bad idea. It'll keep trolls away, but will also probably get rid of most of the casual posters.

Exactly. It's a double-edged sword, while getting rid of the troll problem, pricing out many loyal, dedicated Pats fans is NOT the answer. I don't want to see this place turn into the Pats version of SoSH, elitist central.

The solution is more MODS. One person can’t tackle the problem by himself. We need mods that are on four, five times a day.

It's really not hard to find a free email provider that bypasses the "non-free" restriction.

njpatsfan said:
A useful tool is a 10 day trial period where you can't post. Very effective against the "WE RULZ, YOU DRULZ" crowd. Usually, they can't remember what their login was after they sober up / get straight.

R

I like that idea a lot.

njpatsfan said:
A useful tool is a 10 day trial period where you can't post. Very effective against the "WE RULZ, YOU DRULZ" crowd. Usually, they can't remember what their login was after they sober up / get straight.

R

Excellent idea. It would eliminate fans that join (our) board the week before their team plays (us); the more obnoxious ones may join weeks early just to satisfy their need to harass. But it would also eliminate the rare good exchange we have with opp fans.

Brownfan80 said:
But I'm not sure if I'm down with the 'non-free-email' idea, as I exclusively use a gmail account. ;/
What Rich said. Ian, please don't do that. But I'm fine with the other ideas.

Seymour93 said:
Exactly. It's a double-edged sword, while getting rid of the troll problem, pricing out many loyal, dedicated Pats fans is NOT the answer. I don't want to see this place turn into the Pats version of SoSH, elitist central.

The solution is more MODS. One person can’t tackle the problem by himself. We need mods that are on four, five times a day.

I like this idea. Lets face it, there are quite a few Pats fan here that are on quite a bit. Ian should give a couple of the reliable ones the power to close topics and what not.

Last edited:
Extra moderation is the only answer to this problem - maybe we could have a Mod-Idol where we can vote for another 3 or 4 mods to help out.

I have seen what goes on over at indystar and it certainly hasn't been curtailed by stopping people using free accounts - there are plenty of multiple personality posters on that forum.

I wouldnt be adverse to a small fee.

The 10 day waiting period woud only discount fans that couldnt read the schedule (Raider fans) and plan in advance.

NM

Last edited:
If we went to an 11 day waiting period, then the trolls could get their zippers stuck.

I've said this before but I'll say it again. About 90% of the posters on this board need to lighten up....ALOT. I'll tell you one thing, if I were to make one complaint about this board it wouldn't be the trolls. It would be the people who feel the need to ***** and moan about the trolls 24 hours a day. Grow a pair and just deal with it. If anything on an internet message board bothers you to the point that it affects your daily functions, you need some serious help. Now shut up and cut the crap. There are ignore features and a scroll button. Nobody says you have to read it.

huskeralk said:
I've said this before but I'll say it again. About 90% of the posters on this board need to lighten up....ALOT. I'll tell you one thing, if I were to make one complaint about this board it wouldn't be the trolls. It would be the people who feel the need to ***** and moan about the trolls 24 hours a day. Grow a pair and just deal with it. If anything on an internet message board bothers you to the point that it affects your daily functions, you need some serious help. Now shut up and cut the crap. There are ignore features and a scroll button. Nobody says you have to read it.

Finally, someone with a sack and a voice of sanity among the wimpy, cry to momma crowd.

I've been a member of this board since its inception.All the way back to when Zip had HIS own board. The last few years I've been mainly posting on PeoplesForums, where a bunch of people who used to use CNNSI migrated to. CtPatsfan is a member there too. Last week I wrote a reply here and some clown jumped down my throat with that "troll!!!" crap and told me I should shut up because I just joined up. Heh...right....THIS is the self righteous board crusader you guys are talking about...and I think if you dig further you'll find all these "Ban the trolls!!!!" screaming Mimi's originated from AOL, where all this ***gotry started in the first place.

There's nothing wrong with this board...the problem is all the wimpy stiff penises who think THEY own a part of the internet...and scream this idiotic "troll!!" nonsense ad nauseum. Guess what? THAT'S trolling if anything is.

Grow some thicker skin and learn to use the scroll bar

Last edited:
Joker said:
I've been a member of this board since its inception.All the way back to when Zip had HIS own board. The last few years I've been mainly posting on PeoplesForums, where a bunch of people who used to use CNNSI migrated to. CtPatsfan is a member there too. Last week I wrote a reply here and some clown jumped down my throat with that "troll!!!" crap and told me I should shut up because I just joined up. Heh...right....THIS is the self righteous board crusader you guys are talking about...and I think if you dig further you'll find all these "Ban the trolls!!!!" screaming Mimi's originated from AOL, where all this ***gotry started in the first place.

There's nothing wrong with this board...the problem is all the wimpy stiff penises who think THEY own a part of the internet...and scream this idiotic "troll!!" nonsense ad nauseum. Guess what? THAT'S trolling if anything is.

:rocker: :rocker: :rocker: :rocker:

huskeralk said:

I use the ignore feature. You can still see what they are saying when they get picked up in quotes from non-trolls. This isn't a bad thing, sometimes trolls do change their stripes, but it isn't as hard to deal with as when they make their own posts. It just clutters up the board. Not in favor of a fee, I never pay for anything on the web. Not in favor of a waiting period. There are some non-troll fans of other teams that make interesting contributions, which they probably wouldn't if they had to register 10 days before their game with us. Trolls will quickly loose interest if they don't have an audience.

:trolls:

Joker said:

AOHell that would be

word up homes...I don't like to perpetuate crap, but I am not averse to going toe to toe with an idiot...people do indeed need thicker skin...

Flying Fungi said:
AOHell that would be

word up homes...I don't like to perpetuate crap, but I am not averse to going toe to toe with an idiot...people do indeed need thicker skin...

I don't care who joined what when or seeing some b.s. troll post that I can laugh at. My only problem is that they flood the Pats Fan Forum with a bunch of different b.s. posts. Maybe the ignore option is best.

Michael said:
I don't care who joined what when or seeing some b.s. troll post that I can laugh at. My only problem is that they flood the Pats Fan Forum with a bunch of different b.s. posts. Maybe the ignore option is best.

Sorry Michael--not sure there is an easy answer--used to be that the interweb was somewhat uniform in who was on it (I'm a 15+ year vet)--nowadays it is an amalgam, and consensus is a challenge. Regarding 'trolls', some say to not respond, others choose the ignore feature and still others like to extinguish the chumps as sport (as I did with laffy taffy last night). No one is right and no one is wrong.

In the end, patience, thicker skin and perspective are all important for a reader/poster. The world isn't perfect and it would be folly to expect that from the interweb. This isn't the 'Sims' after all... :singing:

Flying Fungi said:
Sorry Michael--not sure there is an easy answer--used to be that the interweb was somewhat uniform in who was on it (I'm a 15+ year vet)--nowadays it is an amalgam, and consensus is a challenge. Regarding 'trolls', some say to not respond, others choose the ignore feature and still others like to extinguish the chumps as sport (as I did with laffy taffy last night). No one is right and no one is wrong.

In the end, patience, thicker skin and perspective are all important for a reader/poster. The world isn't perfect and it would be folly to expect that from the interweb. This isn't the 'Sims' after all... :singing:

I know. I go back to 1200 baud modems and bulletin board days myself. Got my first computer in 1987. I got Broadband in 1997 and never looked back. These days I post on many message boards (on some I have over 5000 posts), and the Usenet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye