PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

O.T. Curt Gowdy died.

Status
Not open for further replies.
believe it was jim mckay

Bill B. said:
Wasn't it Curt Gowdy who announced during the hostage crisis at the 72 Olympics that the Isreali hostages were all dead? I seem to remember it being him that announced "They are all gone." A tragic but memorable moment? RIP Curt.
But Yes, He Carries me Back that Far in my memories.
he may have been one of the firts sportscasters, ever, on television.
he started in radio. i remember him calling american league games, generally yankees-red sox. in my hometown, houston, we got very little AL ball.
we got football, tho. understand this--curt gowdy goes back to the very earliest days of televised football, when announcers were trying to make the descriptive transition from radio to TV.
so it was curt gowdy for nfl games. curt gowdy for nba games. and curt gowdy for the national "game of the week" in baseball. it may also have been curt gowdy for the "friday night fights".
these were days when a national broadcast truly WAS a national broadcast. there were 3---THREE---tv networks, abc, cbs, and nbc. they didn't broadcast 24/7, so what appeared on tv was a test pattern.
and there was curt gowdy.
people please understand that, in baseball, the st louis cardinals are america's team. their listening and tv area included EVERYTHING west of lawrence kansas, all the way to the pacific. it also included everything south to the gulf coast. houiston has st louis' AAA team, the Buffs but i digress.
a whole era goes with him. i can't think of another "announcer" still living who goes back that far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back