PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

O.T. Curt Gowdy died.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
All the old Red Sox fans have memories of him. Former Red Sox announcer and Baseball Hall of Famer Curt Gowdy has died, according to WBZ Radio. He was 86 years old and died at his home in Florida after a long battle with leukemia.

Last edited:
He was also the play by play guy for the AFL and was the top guy for AFC games for a while.

Curt Gowdy....he was the Red Sox voice for ages...did some football..very sad to hear that..He was a true legend of broadcasting in New England...I think he did the first year of the Breakers as well...

Pats726 said:
Curt Gowdy....he was the Red Sox voice for ages...did some football..very sad to hear that..He was a true legend of broadcasting in New England...I think he did the first year of the Breakers as well...

"The Cowboy". I actually wrote a letter to Curt when I was a kid asking what one could do to get into sports broadcasting. Must have got lost in the mail, never heard back. He did broadcast football too, like you say, and you hear his voice on recaps of some of those great old AFL championship games, like Oakland - Miami. He also did the famous Joe Namath guarantee super bowl game (SB III).

He also did pats games on radio for one year just before he retired

I never got to hear his broadcasts live, but hearing clips from old broadcasts over the years, I can understand what the older-timers are talking about and feeling with this news. Mr. Gowdy just had one of those great "baseball voices."

FWIW My uncle kept his bird dog for him a few times when he went on vacation...I think it was Colorado. I think then he moved there full time.

I never met him, but I got the impression he was a class act.

He was my all time favorite announcer. When I think of him , it takes me back to NBC's game of the week(any sport he did them all). If he was announcing it you knew it has an important game. Rest In Peace great one.:(

Glad he got to see the sox win it all..........adios Curt........

bosfan said:
Glad he got to see the sox win it all..........adios Curt........

amen,brother. cant count how many thousand sox games i listened to with curt. there was something magical about hearing a sox game late at night on the radio-much better than watching on tv. i still laugh when i remember how he pronounced " lager beer" with that cowboy accent of his.(tho i guess it was no funnier than how we beantowners butcher it). he was a total class act.

Good announcer, had the midwestern droll...fell asleep to him many a night.

Wasn't it Curt Gowdy who announced during the hostage crisis at the 72 Olympics that the Isreali hostages were all dead? I seem to remember it being him that announced "They are all gone." A tragic but memorable moment? RIP Curt.

They don't make them like him anymore! Glad his fight is over, RIP Curt!

Bill B. said:
Wasn't it Curt Gowdy who announced during the hostage crisis at the 72 Olympics that the Isreali hostages were all dead? I seem to remember it being him that announced "They are all gone." A tragic but memorable moment? RIP Curt.

I think that was Jim McKay........

He will be missed, what a great man!

Curt Gowdy and PAul Christman back in the AFL days were my father's favorite announcing team.

My first memories of baseball were games announced by Gowdy. He also did American Sportsman, half the time it seemed like he was Salmon fishing with Ted Williams.

Bill's Girl said:
I think that was Jim McKay........

He will be missed, what a great man!
I believe you are right. I do remember Curt Gowdy doing American Sportsman, or a show like that.

Yup, he was the host of AS, on every weekend. That is what got me hooked on the outdoors.

RIP Curt! Hope you find yourself on that perfect field in front of a fresh flush!

Curt Gowdy, Harry Carey, Johhny Most ... voices that made the sport more than just a point total ...

I remember him very well from his TV (Channel 5) & radio days covering the Red Sox. Worked very well with Ned Martin and Art Gleason.

I know Gleason died back in '65, but is Ned Martin still alive?

Patriotic Fervor said:
I remember him very well from his TV (Channel 5) & radio days covering the Red Sox. Worked very well with Ned Martin and Art Gleason.

I know Gleason died back in '65, but is Ned Martin still alive?

No, Ned died right after Ted Williams, either at his funeral or a day or two after.....Mercy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes