O-line discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

nabwong

Vice President of Boycott NFL Club
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Ever since Mankins returned, we've played with a mean edge. But the line was already playing at a good level before that.

Opponents and analysts keep saying that Brady is only great because of his O-line. It's obvious that the O-line has to execute but how much is it really about Brady's assignments? So what percentage do you think falls on the O-line executing and what percentage on Brady's calls?

Fans keep saying that if Cutler or Sanchez had our O-line, they'd also be elite. I don't really agree.

Ever since Mankins returned, we've played with a mean edge. But the line was already playing at a good level before that.

Opponents and analysts keep saying that Brady is only great because of his O-line. It's obvious that the O-line has to execute but how much is it really about Brady's assignments? So what percentage do you think falls on the O-line executing and what percentage on Brady's calls?

Fans keep saying that if Cutler or Sanchez had our O-line, they'd also be elite. I don't really agree.

Tom Brady was under pressure and got sacked 3 times yesterday but STILL delivered a landslide victory with incredible stats with a 113.4 QB rating, 27/40, 2 TD, 0 INT IN A FREAKING BLIZZARD!

Sanchez ... ahahaha, he dreams about having games like that.

are these jets and bears fans? cuz if they are LOL, well....you probably know the answer, dont pay attention to them

I was gonna start a thread on this exact topic today.

Yeah, for me it's all about the o-line. We neet them to continue to play well.

Brady is playing lights out WITH protection.

We need him to be protected for this team to have a realistic chance to be playing in February, that is really all there is to it. However that happens, that is what we need. I love watching our defense and seeing them grown this year has been great.

Brady is a dangerous dangerous QB with time...

Well, the point of this thread is not about fans or Brady's greatness but more about the communication about assignments. I think this aspect of being a QB is hugely ignored during analysis. The point is Brady is putting the O-line in a good position to make the plays, pointing out the rush. It is this attribute that sets him apart from any other QB in the league.

It's interesting that the offensive line is now getting such accolades. As I recall before the season started there was a lot of concern: Light was average and Vollmer needed to replace him at LT, Mankins of course was out, Koppen often manhandled and should be replaced, none of the recent draftees were stepping up, etcetera. Now people both locally and nationally, both fans and media, can't seem to find enough good things to say about the line.

Mankins makes Patriots mean-spirited | NECN | Tom E Curran

"I think Logan is really a catalyst for what we do up there," said quarterback Tom Brady. "He’s a great player for us. He’s tough, he’s physical, he brings really a mean spirit to the group.

"Logan plays until the echo of the whistle," Brady said, meaning he plays past the initial blow of a referee's whistle. "It goes right up to the end, so he's always in the middle of some altercation or something like that. If there's a pile up, I know Logan's involved. That's just how he plays. That's his style, and I think he brings a great element of toughness to our offense."

There's no doubt he'd also be described as dirty by some opponents because of his around-the-pile and post-whistle activities. But a lot of the best NFL linemen through the years have had the same label applied to them - longtime Pro Bowl center Kevin Mawae being one of them. There's an enforcer role that offensive linemen have to fill and Mankins is adept at it.

"You always want your team to play as one, for the 10 guys to support the 11th guy and all that," Bill Belichick observed. "That's what a unit is; it's out on the field. They're all playing together; they're supporting each other, both emotionally and from a functional standpoint, on the field.

"I know that there's stuff that goes on after the play at times," Belichick explained. "I think, as a team, you have to be able to stand up to that, not at the expense of getting penalties and personal fouls and all that, but to hold your ground and be able to play the game and not get pushed around out there."

Really they said this, who are they?

This is one of those 6 of one, half dozen of another arguments..

Bottom line we have a very good offensive line, and a way above average quarterback...

To single out one over the other, defies the whole concept of a team game.. neither is mutually exclusive.

At times this O line has faced its share of criticism, as has Brady.. when they operate together it is a thing of beauty.

Last edited:
In my mind the overview is that an offense is like a car engine. All the pices have to do thier job in order for the engine to work properly. If one piece is out whack or not doing it's job, the others overheat and blow up.

However I do want to point out three monster reasons I think Brady is really humming these past several weeks.

1.) Going back to the old offensive philosophy of multiple equal weapons. Spread the defense out horizontally and vertically (a little bit) and find the open guy. When defenses go to a zone, Brady and the receivers are running the correct option routes and killing them.

2.) Improved play from the TE position. What a luxury it is to have to be able to put double TE's in on any given play and have on the field either two excellent blockers or two excellent receivers. We know Hernandez is a receiver and Crumpler is a blocker, but having a guy like Gronkowski that can do both is a massive advantage for our offense. Our strong TE play is killing cover two teams.

3.) Koppen, for whatever reason, is playing lights out when compared to last year. Historically teams have always gotten occasional pressure off the edge, but so far this year, much less pressure has come up the middle than last year. Plus in the running game he has held his blocks a little longer which is allowing the guard to be more mobile.

I don't get to see that many games, but is it true that Koppen has stood up to the monster nose guards in the league this year??

I ask because it seems like for a couple of years now the huge NG's would over power Koppen.

In my mind the overview is that an offense is like a car engine. All the pices have to do thier job in order for the engine to work properly. If one piece is out whack or not doing it's job, the others overheat and blow up.

3.) Koppen, for whatever reason, is playing lights out when compared to last year. Historically teams have always gotten occasional pressure off the edge, but so far this year, much less pressure has come up the middle than last year. Plus in the running game he has held his blocks a little longer which is allowing the guard to be more mobile.

I don't get to see that many games, but is it true that Koppen has stood up to the monster nose guards in the league this year??

I ask because it seems like for a couple of years now the huge NG's would over power Koppen.

Maybe the Pats strength and conditioning coach helped Koppen improve his functional strength over the offseason. Or maybe he has improved his technique from better coaching or both.

Really they said this, who are they?

A classic example was the previous game. "If only Cutler had the same amount of time Brady has". I'm not sure if Cutlet would know how to use our o-line to the best of their potential.

I agree that the whole offense is one unit. But Brady elevates their play.

One of Brady's greatest assets is his pocket presence and ability to avoid the rush (despite his total lack of speed). In this sense, he protects the line as they protect him.

A classic example was the previous game. "If only Cutler had the same amount of time Brady has". I'm not sure if Cutlet would know how to use our o-line to the best of their potential.

I agree that the whole offense is one unit. But Brady elevates their play.
Cutler is playing in one of the simplest offenses there is available. He gets given a play and has to execute it. That's it.

Freaking Cutler is pathetic.

Nice update on Stephen Neal by WEEI's Mike Petraglia:

It Is What It Is | Stephen Neal wrestling with another football decision

“It was bothering me for a little bit and it never came back around like I’d like it to,” Neal said on Friday in front of his locker. “I don’t think I’d be able to help the team that much until I got it cleaned up.

“I think I’ve had so many issues on my one shoulder. It just wasn’t working too good.”

Is he again wondering about his future in the NFL at 34?

“Definitely do that later,” Neal said. “You want to go through rehab and expect to come and keep doing stuff because if you go through rehab without hopes of returning, you’re not going to do a good job rehabbing. Just evaluate things later.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes