PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

O-Line Breakdown, Week 1, KC Chiefs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice to see Nick is playing decently. I predicted a good year from him. Hope he keeps it up. BTW, if any of you read my Boston Pizza post, that was in Nick's hometown. They have Giants posters up. KILL!!

Anyway, I hope Watson shoves Spach back to #3 asap.
Faulk will block better than Morris and Sammy can keep splitting with Maroney for big gains on the ground.

The Pats made KC pay for those crowd plays with a lot of real nice completions for good gains. Even if the run is 60% successful, it should be enough to keep Cassel up. He's very good with PA. Wonder where he learned it from.

Brilliant stuff. Thanks for the hard work.

Awesome post. Thanks

One other question on Cassel. He's got good feet and can move around pretty good (better then Tom I think). Can that be used to ease some of the issues we had from a scheeming POV, or is it going to magnify the problem? Sorry if it's a dumb question, I'm not a good x and o guy.

Last edited:
Kewl!

EDIT: It occurs to me - Monday was the day Simms and Rattay were reported to have been flown in and sent home based on "the situation has changed." Let's take that at face value, the situation "had" changed, so what was different Monday?

My guess: Film. BB, Josh, & Co. had been able to sit down and grade Cassel, relative to the other offensive players (as Unoriginal's work indicates, it is necessary for understanding not just a play, but individual performance within a play). BB is always quick to defer to film when answering questions from the media, no reason to think he was rushing to judgement without his film work in this case. We know Cassel passed the final score test, but I think a case can be made to say he passed, comfortably, the all important film analysis test.

Last edited:
Will Yates continue to start?

Will Yates continue to start?
I assume so, Hochstein tends to be a better OC than OG and unless Dante is planning to work LeVoir inside, there's really no one else.

As usual, really awesome stuff and a great read unoriginal.

I am glad to see that my feelings on Yates were reinforced. I thought he was brutal all preseason and is the weak link of the line. Unfortunately, it seems he is higher on the depth chart than Hochstein (perhaps due to injuries) and we're stuck w him for now.

Someone above mentioned Albert vs Seymour. I have been rewatching the defensive series for the game and while I'm not a trained eye like unoriginal, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the abuse Seymour was delivering at times. One play early in the game he just physically manhandled Albert right off the snap, launching him back - it was so jarringly powerful it was almost humorous. So far, I'm seeing the 3 Pats DL look pretty dominant. Big Sey, Vince and Ty Warren are a treat to watch.

Last edited:
As a fan who's always struggling to learn how to better watch line play during the game, I cannot applaud this enough. Fantastic effort - objective and detailed - and really appreciated here.

Good fan-ness crosses even enemy lines.

Gratuitous bump for a 5-star thread. They should give unoriginal his own forum for these.

Great work, thanks!

I didn't realize, seeing all those nifty runs by Morris and Maroney, how many times the oline failed to get a good push at the LOS. Maybe those good runs came against a nickel D.

How do you get those screencaps? I've been looking for a similar break-down of the QB position post injury in that game. I thought the PA Fake was one of the best sells I've seen in a while, but I didn't tape the game and NFL's highlights online only give you one angle.

All intersting..and THANKS!!! Koppen and Kaczur seemed to be the best..NK getting a lot of flack and being OK...Yates being the worst..Light..Mankins OK...Interesting comments and a nice look ahead at Cassel and how he might use his legs more.

In that thread that blasted Kaczur, I defended the guy because it was clear the Patriots ran a few successful plays right behind him.

He did well. Mankins will come around and then we'll have only one weak link on the line.

That being said, Neal has perpetual injury issues it seems, so it may be time to find another Mankins type in the draft.

In that thread that blasted Kaczur, I defended the guy because it was clear the Patriots ran a few successful plays right behind him.

He did well. Mankins will come around and then we'll have only one weak link on the line.

That being said, Neal has perpetual injury issues it seems, so it may be time to find another Mankins type in the draft.
Very possible...and it's only 1 game..Great breakdown though...in raw numbers..how does this compare to an early game last year??

Reiss reports today is the second straight day of full pads practices for the Pats, and that the Jets have been moving their two DEs around:
# 2) Jets and their end games. From a preparation standpoint, Patriots offensive linemen noted how the Jets are doing something a bit different with their ends this year. Jets DE Shaun Ellis, who is usually on the left side, has also been playing on the right side. In turn, DE Kenyon Coleman, normally on the right side, has also been playing on the left. Backups C.J. Mosley and Mike DeVito have also been rotating sides. The approach is likely to mask tendencies in the pass rush, and it has led the Patriots' offensive linemen to study more players to become familiar with them.

Wow!!!

This thread is like an oasis in a desert of whining.

Thanks

Very possible...and it's only 1 game..Great breakdown though...in raw numbers..how does this compare to an early game last year??

That's what i'm interested in, as well. How does this compare to previous games? Is that frequency of breakdown by a line a lot, a little, or roughly average?

I look forward to your posts more than any. As always, superlative work. You could get paid for that, so I greatly appreciate you sharing the effort with us.

**bump for cavtroop**

Thank god for the "Find All Posts by poster" search method, or I wouldn't know what the hell was going on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes